A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beware the Weeping Angels... and whatever you do, DON'T BLINK  (Read 13021 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , angel , costume , craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010 08:37:50 AM »

this is amazing. I love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
alexisBee
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010 08:51:13 AM »

Thanks so much you guys!!!  Grin
and now for a few answers...

WOW!!! what material is this made out of... it looks VERY statuey
The wings were made of foam core and cardboard, and the dress was some material I had in my bin... I bought it a few years back for an Arwen costume I never made, so I don't remember exactly what it is, but it was navy and fuzzy like velvet, but much cheaper more lightweight, kinda like that fireproof kid's pajama material? oof. I'm not helping much am I? Well, either way, when I painted it, I didn't use fabric medium, so it made the material nice and stiff

Wow, that is amazing costume!!! I can tell it took a great deal of time, but was the cost factor worth it?
I really am impressed with your wing set, so what changes did you make to be able to get into the dress without help?
Well, cost in terms of money was pretty low because I ended up using a lot of stuff I already had. The foam core boards were from presentations I had done in college, the fabric was from a costume I never ended up making (I think it was bargain fabric too), the paint, the elastic, the glue... all of it I already had. The only purchases I made were a hula hoop and a cheap backpack, both from the 99 cent store, and some Ben Nye body paint, which was probably the most expensive thing!

Sure it took a long time to make, and I suppose time is money, but it was a fun crafty project to do!!  I kinda look at my costumes as a chance to make something I find exciting and to challenge myself. And I too don't really like to repeat costumes - hehe - but I don't have to make more than one a year  Wink

My dress was actually a top and separate skirt, because I figured that would be much easier to deal with getting in and out of. As for my wings, they were super lightweight! You could see the straps from the front when they were on, but creating something that went under the dress was just not practical. So in the end, I just put them on like a backpack (lifting them up and putting them on a higher surface did make the process a bit easier too!)

Hope that helps! If you guys have any more questions, ask away!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicecarrie
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010 06:37:33 PM »

This is absolutely gorgeous! I always love statue-like costumes for some reason! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lanikins
you can't take life too seriously...you'll never make it out alive

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010 07:37:04 PM »

YOU...ARE...AWESOME!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010 07:42:54 PM »

Fantastic! In my opinion the weeping angels are one of the creepiest d who foes, only second to the waters of mars creepers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010 08:18:07 AM »

Utterly terrifying! You did such a great job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010 09:17:04 AM »

Awesome job!  Just have to say you ruined my day posting this.   Shocked  I sat here to afraid to blink or look away and didn't get any work done.  Wink

JK.  I think this has to be one of the most creative and well done costumes I've seen this year.  I bet it was fun to wear.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fontiua
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010 02:08:37 PM »

THis ROCKS!!!!        The Wings are fabulous. I love the costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
Lilybet85
Crafting Sci-Fi Geek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010 02:26:51 PM »

This is BEYOND amazing!!! The Weeping Angels are my favorite characters (other then the Doctor) in Doctor Who! I know what I'm going to be for Halloween next year!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lilybet85.blogspot.com/ For the Geeky Craftster!

"I'm glad you've got an absolute definition of life in the universe, but perhaps the universe has got ideas of its own." The Doctor

"It is possible to commit no mistake and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." Captain Picard
Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010 05:39:30 PM »

Well done.
I like that you used a backpack instead of the elastic arm holes that come with bought wings.
Did it sit well and felt comfortable?

The Weeping Angels creeped me out the most out of all the Dr. Who creatures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Animation Recording
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Motion Picture Tools
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Rotate
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Modeling Interference Checking
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Thicken Surface
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...