A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: steampunk goodness  (Read 2994 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk , reconstructed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

santacruzsugar
« on: November 05, 2010 10:22:16 PM »

Back in September, my town had its annual Handcar Regatta, where people build handcars and all kinds of crazy mechanical workings, and race them down the abandoned railroad tracks. Most of the people dress up, and its a fairly big event. Unfortunately, it was over 100 degrees, so we didn't stay long.
I was, however, very proud of the costumes I pulled together for myself and my boyfriend.

There was a guy from the local paper taking pictures of couples and he posed us all silly.

I made my bustle skirt from this hideous 80's prom dress, complete with the butt bow (seriously, how were those every cool???) that I got at the Goodwill for $7.

The before...

I bought a corset, which was super tight and didn't really fit me, but it worked for the short amount of time i wore it. I made a little top hat from extra dress material, cardboard, and some scrap leather i had cut from (another 80's) Goodwill dress. I hot glued it onto a headband. The favorite thing I made, and got the most complements on, was a necklace of antique bobbins. I hot glued them to a sheet of paperboard in a random arrangement, and then tied it on with a ribbon. I also found a bird cage on super sale, and stuck a crow from a past Halloween costume in it. I hooked it onto a metal belt, and I called myself a steampunked ornithologist.

For the boyfriend, we got a top hat at a costume store, and I made the goggles from spice jar lids and an old belt. I found the vest at the Goodwill, and was too lazy to sew on fancier buttons, so I just hot glued them over the originals.

thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Circlesofstone
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010 06:31:56 AM »

You did a great job. I love how you repurposed the old dress!

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicecarrie
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010 07:23:18 PM »

This is fantastic!!! Love the back of the skirt with the layers. I would love to see a closer pic of the necklace!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squiggletop87
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011 06:02:02 PM »

This is awesome! I really love what you did with the old 80's ball gown.. In love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graverobbergirl
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011 09:56:36 AM »

All the components came together nicely! I love the 80s dress recon. Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011 07:41:01 PM »

Ooh, just found this on a steampunk search. Great idea in repurposing the 80's dress to a bustle skirt! I may just need to steal that idea. Looks awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: The First Wives Club
Sherry Lansing: You Married Your First Boyfriend
Callie Khouri: Oscar-Winning Writer & Creator of "Nashville"
Callie Khouri: Being a Female Director
Callie Khouri: A Director She Could Trust
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...