A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pixelated Painting of My Nephew  (Read 3140 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bennaka1010
« on: April 11, 2010 01:27:54 PM »

Hey Craftsters-
Just thought I would share my latest painting..it's a painting of a photograph that was taken of my nephew and sister-in-law. I painted a pixelated version of the photo. There were 5,040 squares that I painted using 15 different shades. It is an acrylic painting on canvas! Enjoy!

This is the original picture I went off of..

Comments are welcomed! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010 02:16:11 PM »

Cute idea, I really like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
FoxyBlue
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010 03:36:37 PM »

That's amazing and beautiful! I LOVE it. What a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010 08:09:12 AM »

wow! This is really powerful!  You must have a lot of patience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
sheriffkarli
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010 08:13:56 AM »

This is so cool! Really well done, i love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
rfinn17
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010 01:49:23 PM »

This is absolutely awesome! I am trying to do a pixelated painting for my friend for Christmas but I don't even know how to do it. Do you have any advice or tips? Thank you!

Becky
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bennaka1010
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010 05:50:13 PM »

The easiest way that I have found to do it is to upload the picture to diyart.com. It will print out a small grid for you based on the picture you upload. I usually try to switch the picture to black and white or sepia before I upload it, since it will let you preview what your pixelated picture will look like. After that, I draw a grid onto a canvas. The grid that diyart.com prints out is 80 squares x 60 squares. So if you want to do a large canvas 30"x40" is easiest to draw out the grid since it would be 1/2" squares. However, if you want to do a smaller canvas, you just have to do the math and draw the canvas by figuring out how large the squares need to be. So after making the canvas, I look at the grid I printed and write in the numbers on the canvas using a pencil...this step takes the longest. It is very time consuming, but very well worth it. If not, you could write the numbers in for a couple of lines, and paint them before moving onto the next. Once you get everything numbered, you start painting in the squares. 1 is the very lightest (white), and 15 would be the darkest (dark brown or black). I have found it easiest to paint in all the 1's first, then the 2's, etc. It is a very lengthy process, but it turns out so great once you get it all done! Good luck! Post a picture when you get it all done! I'm actually about to start another one for a Christmas gift. If you have any troubles let me know and I can try to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010 10:22:16 PM »

The easiest way that I have found to do it is to upload the picture to diyart.com. It will print out a small grid for you based on the picture you upload. I usually try to switch the picture to black and white or sepia before I upload it, since it will let you preview what your pixelated picture will look like. After that, I draw a grid onto a canvas. The grid that diyart.com prints out is 80 squares x 60 squares. So if you want to do a large canvas 30"x40" is easiest to draw out the grid since it would be 1/2" squares. However, if you want to do a smaller canvas, you just have to do the math and draw the canvas by figuring out how large the squares need to be. So after making the canvas, I look at the grid I printed and write in the numbers on the canvas using a pencil...this step takes the longest. It is very time consuming, but very well worth it. If not, you could write the numbers in for a couple of lines, and paint them before moving onto the next. Once you get everything numbered, you start painting in the squares. 1 is the very lightest (white), and 15 would be the darkest (dark brown or black). I have found it easiest to paint in all the 1's first, then the 2's, etc. It is a very lengthy process, but it turns out so great once you get it all done! Good luck! Post a picture when you get it all done! I'm actually about to start another one for a Christmas gift. If you have any troubles let me know and I can try to help!

thank you Smiley  i was curious myself as to exactly how this was done.
its a very beautiful portrait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Jay McGraw Discusses His Life Strategies for Dealing with Bullies
Author Joan Ball Discusses Flirting with Faith
Artist Romero Britto Discusses His Books and Art
Get Some Straight Talk from Author Zane
J. Torres on Degrassi: Extra Credit
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...