A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
794 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mixing different dye brands?  (Read 612 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlueNeta
« on: October 06, 2012 04:38:24 PM »

I've got this iDye yarn by jacquard, and some dylon permanent fabric paint. I want to dye cotton yarn [first time dying! woohoo!], but I don't know what would become of these two different dyes mixed together - will it turn out normal, or would the dyes mix oddly because of the differences in chemicals in them?
any help would be much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012 05:27:36 AM »

I have never dyed cotton, only animal fibers, but whenever I am trying something new I try a test.  Cut off a yard or two and try it.
Good Luck,
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlenaSelene
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012 09:34:55 AM »

First, make sure the dyes or paint you are using will work on the fiber you want to dye. Paints tend to work on a wider variety of fibers than dye.

Are you planning to mix the two dyes together, or use them separately but on the same fabric? Chances are mixing them together will not work. Dye and paint are two different things. Dye becomes part of the fiber. Think of a beet. Cut it open and it's red all the way through. Paint coats the individual fiber threads. Think of a radish. Cut it open and the inside of the radish is white, the red color is only on the outside.

You can use both kinds of dye on the same piece. The tricky part is that the dye and the paint may require different processes to set.

One way is to use a resist, dye only the parts that you want colored with dye, and set the dye following the manufacturers instructions. Remove the resist, reapply it to the parts you want to keep the same, dye or paint the rest of the piece, set the dye or paint according to the manufacturers instructions and remove the resist.

The other way is to experiment and see what happens. I've had good luck using both Procion MX dye and Dyna Flow paint on the same piece. I let the piece batch (kept moist and warm) for at least 24 hours. Then, I let the piece dry, iron it to set the Dyna Flow colors, then rinse, wash and dry it to set the Procion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fresh Green Bean Recipes
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Discover Artisan Kettle-Cooked Popcorn
Lemon Blueberry Pancake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...