A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best color for tea stained look? Recycled clothes and fabric  (Read 2140 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arrhythmia
« on: November 05, 2010 11:40:30 AM »

I make clothes and want to add a tea stained look to things I make. I want to use dyes to achieve an even color and colorfastness. It looks like it may be best to use something like Dylon, but does anyone have any suggestions?

I am not really seeing a color that looks just right at Dharma....should I go with a darker brown and just pull it out before it gets dark ? I haven't done any dying but Rit dyes and they faded pretty fast.

Something lighter and slightly shellpink or ecru would be great. I'd like to use something that would work on mostly cottons, but other fabrics too possibly and that will work on mostly white or white based prints.

I can probably find these locally, but I would just like to know what all I need, and would it be better to order a kit online with all the additives?

Thanks for all the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010 05:05:27 AM »

You could try a light brown or tan and pull it out quickly.  Or, if you have something else to dye, soak that in the dye first (overnight will pull a lot of color from your dye) and then use that same batch to dye what you want to have the "tea stained" look.  Keep checking it to see if it is the color you want.

I use Dylon and Rit quite a bit and find that if I really overdo the amount of dye for the fabric I need it cuts down on fading.  But since you are going for a really light dye, it might fade quite a bit.  Using a fixing agent (soda ash) might help fight fading also.  I think getting fiber reactive dyes might give you a better fade resistant color, but I don't have any experience with those.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010 10:40:55 AM »

Soda ash won't fix a dye like RIT, but you need it for fiber reactive dyes. I usually use procion mx, which is a fiber reactive dye and it fades very little except during the first couple washes when you're still getting out excess dye. Dharma has a couple light colors of it. If you use less dye than recommended for the amount of water you're using, the color should come out lighter. Keeping it in the dye for less time should also work - for pretty much any type of dye. Just remember to consider the dye's base color. For example, using less black won't give you gray, it might be green or blue; a reddish brown might turn pink; etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010 08:08:07 AM »

Abbeeroad - Thank you! That is a good idea about using the leftover dye for teastaining. I haven't done any dying in years, and really want to use it just for this one effect....unless I find I love it...then I may do a lot of playing :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010 08:15:32 AM »

N30Nb100d - Thank you...that is very helpful. How do you know the base color for a dye...does it say in the packaging or the description before you dye....or do you have to figure it out from trial and error?
So would you go with a lighter color of Procion MX and follow the usual instructions, or a darker color and use less/pull it out sooner? I'm just trying to figure out which is better to order for a newbie. I will probably order a kit with all the additives and one or two specific colors if they don't come in the kit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010 08:17:58 AM »

Also, I would like to do some dyeing of vintage nylon...so I'll probably order a color or two for that and do some mixing of colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010 09:15:14 AM »

Dharma lists black and blues at the bottom but you sort of have to guess with some of the other ones. Sometimes, there's a hint in the name, or if you look at the powdered dye you can tell. Like if it's maroon brown, it probably has some red in it because you know maroon is a red color. Or how the "deep black" powder I have looks the same as the red in the jar (I almost switched them before...) but still somehow comes out blue tinted. Since stores list them in color groups that helps a bit too. Like "ivory" probably has yellow in it because that's the group it's in. What you can do if you actually have the dye is test a tiny bit of the dye powder with a drop of water, like on a paper towel to see the colors it separates into.
Personally I would get a color the closest to what you want or a couple colors that might mix to get it since you're not planning to dye anything dark. It should be less guess work if your dye color is already light. But at the same time, getting a darker color will give you more play (though with less predictability).
I don't think you'd need a kit even as a newbie. The only really necessary chemical is soda ash (and salt if you're immersing the fabric in the dye). There's others you can use to help with different things, but they're not really needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010 08:01:41 PM »

N30Nb100d - Sorry I've gotten busy and not gotten back til now. That is really helpful. I especially appreciate knowing that I don't need to buy the kit. I think I'll start out with a handful of colors and just play at mixing them to get the tones I want. I'm thinking a true tan/ecru would be great, but a peachier version would be perfect for certain prints and fabrics with undertones. Thank you for all your help. I'll try and get back here and post once I get to the point of actually buying and trying it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellianneeee
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011 08:48:49 PM »

I know this is a kind of old post, but if you want a tea stained look, why not just use tea?  I found a nice website that tells how to dye things naturally and what kind of colors can be done with plants and fruits.
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/crafts/crafts-basics/naturaldyes.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
arrhythmia
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012 05:04:43 PM »

kellianneeee - thanks for the idea. I tried tea a long time ago and had trouble with a kind of gray look that was probably more from the water where I was. It would be worth trying again in a new place. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Day to Night Hairdo
Adding Accessories to Your Hairstyle
Homemade Hair Treatments for Oily Hair
InStyler Hair Straightening Treatment
How to Stop Hair Static
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...