A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: World of Warcraft Draenei  (Read 10966 times)
Tags for this thread: wow , costume , world_of_warcraft , craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ailuromancy
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010 12:13:05 AM »

Wow! (no pun intended, tehe!) Thanks for so many positive remarks! I'm so glad people like it. =D I spent lots of time putting it all together and doing some trial-and-error work figuring things out. I've nothing against the Horde, did some bounces back and forth with my faction, but I will admit that I've spent 99% of my time as Alliance. Though I don't think even the Horde can denounce the awesomeness that is Draenei Women. Experience taught me the same of people who didn't know the game -- I had plenty of people approach me to tell me, "I have no idea what you are or where it's from, but it's amazing looking." It made me feel all special.

The hooves were actually really quite easy to walk in -- for me anyway. I did dance for about 12 years, though, and that included four and a half years of pointe work in ballet, so I might have an edge in the balance department. Even without that history, though, I think they would be not too difficult for someone else to be able to wear. The only question then would be how well they actually moved in them ... I wish I had video of me with them on. I could speedwalk and trot around very easily -- which I just had to do as soon as I was on a sidewalk and my hooves started making absolutely perfect clip-clop sounds.

As for the comment about dancing on a mailbox ... a friend of mine wants there to be a replica of the Ironforge Bridge constructed, just one of the end posts. Big enough for me to stand on. Then I can be a proper draenei sans epic gear. I'd thought at one point about doing gear, but I wanted to keep it simple ... at least for now! Besides, everyone does complex gear and I think the simplicity adds to the costume. It's just enough to look at without being over the top. I don't really want to tackle gear until I'm confident in my abilities to make it look good, too.

Also, it looks like a moderator fixed it so my images actually show, instead of being annoying links to elsewhere. That's what I assume anyway since the forum gave me an auto-generated message that I wouldn't be allowed to post images because I hadn't posted enough (or at all) prior to this ... so, thank you mysterious benevolent force!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bobbysgirl
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010 08:16:48 AM »

You made my Draenei jealous, she said she wanted to look like that! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hyper-Piston
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010 01:48:46 PM »

Holy crap, four years of pointe? You continue to amaze me! It's seriously a fantastic job though, and honestly I gotta agree with you on the simplicity. Going epic gear kind of washes out the point of the costume (unless you're a human, I guess, in which case there's really not a whole lot of costume WITHOUT the gear). Also simplicity makes that much more of an impact Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rinoa1024
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010 03:46:23 PM »

I love this costume!  I read through all of your blog posts about the construction process.  The boots turned out GREAT and I'm glad you had an awesome friend helping out. Smiley  You nailed the tail drape too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010 05:53:44 PM »

That is absolutely amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
Ailuromancy
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010 01:57:51 AM »

Thank you to everyone for your support and your comments! I'm glad my efforts are appreciated by people who understand the amount of time/effort/planning that goes in to something like this.

Rinoa1024, I'm glad the tail looks right! That was a big deal for me because I absolutely abhor limp, lifeless, floppy tails. Again, I wish I had video of me walking because the tail had an absolutely perfect sway back and forth behind me. Kept hitting my friends when they walked beside me! I thought it was hilarious. It never once impeded my walking or got caught up in between my legs; just my friends', tehehehe. I just need to find a better way to attach it (so heavy!) ... But I've already got ideas on how to do that in my revamp plans for future use of this costume. =3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010 02:57:17 AM »

This DEFINITELY rocks. I've seen lots of people do draenei costumes and most flub the hooves, understandably of course. Yours are spot on! Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010 04:07:25 AM »

LOL! Awesome. Are those hooves difficult to walk in?
I was going to ask the same question. I looked at every single image I could of the hooves, and I am still trying to really grasp the stability for your heels. Great job!
My kid sister who is a massive WoW chic will freak when I send her this link. LOL

I never remember what she plays but I know she is highest level you can get...I think it is 80...I don't know her whole life revolves around that game and her web designing. LOL

Anyway, huzzah!!! on the costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ailuromancy
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010 09:59:22 AM »

Fiberglass is a surprisingly strong material. Since I used it to reinforce the arches of the old boots (two layers worth), it gave me a lot more stability on the shoes than you'd think. Although while standing around and walking I had to keep my weight forward on the ball of my feet (imagine wearing a high heel shoe; now imagine the way one walks up a flight of stairs in them, putting no reliance on the stem of the heel at all ... it was like that, but all the time), if I had a counter/wall/anything to lean against, I could pretty much put my weight wherever and the shoe was able to support it without caving or bending in the slightest. I honestly wasn't too sure how well it was all going to work out when I started, just had to hope that I was doing the right thing and that I wouldn't end up dead by the end of the day. Luckily, it went off without a hitch. =3 If you try to walk in regular high heels without putting your weight back on your heel, it's impossible. The natural pattern of walking, even solely on one's toes, revolves around some slight stretching and flexing of the foot's arch; the shoe's heel will peg the ground unless you severely butcher your walking. The fiberglass, although extremely durable, allowed for the boot to have just enough give so that I had adequate movement in the shoe/my foot, but wouldn't collapse.

I'm actually going to a late Halloween party tonight (it was supposed to be last weekend for obvious reasons, but due to unforeseen circumstances got rescheduled to accommodate a host feeling very ill on the best weekend ever and didn't get to wear her own costume that we'd worked on! sadface). I won't be doing full makeup this time (took about an hour and a half to apply, and equally long to remove ... and it tended to come off on everything), but if I can get someone to record me walking, I'll be happy to link it up here so people can see how they really move.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010 10:01:48 AM by Ailuromancy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MumbleFord
Dem Wahren, Schnen, Guten

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010 04:57:02 PM »

HOLY!  This is so flippin' amazing.  I LOOOOOOOVE the hooves. 

*ahem* FOR THE ALLIANCE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Boil up some Mtn. Dew.  It's gonna be a long night.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikon CLS, Wireless Flash System
How to Use the Flash Umbrella Swivels
How to Shoot a Model Portfolio
The Importance of Test Shoots
Lighting Techniques for Beauty Shots
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...