A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
811 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: World of Warcraft Draenei  (Read 12163 times)
Tags for this thread: wow , costume , world_of_warcraft , craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ailuromancy
« on: November 04, 2010 08:41:09 PM »

First time posting on the site, so pardon me if I muck it up a bit. =x Also, since this is my first time posting (spent a long time lurking ... I'm kind of shy), I'm not allowed to post a picture! But I can link, so I'll have to do that.

This year for Halloween I worked my butt off to pull together a costume I've mentally constructed in my mind for years. Draenei! From World of Warcraft.

1. chain lightning?!

2. moar lightning?  

3. dedairhax (for those that play and know the awkward shape draenei take upon dying)

4. chillin' and chattin'

5. profile

I made the hooves, tail, horns and face tendrils. The clothing portions were altered; leggings that I trimmed and embellished, etc. The bodice was an old costume piece that's been stored in boxes with all my other costume pieces from ages past.

I did have a little help, so hopefully that's not a disqualifying factor. But the honest truth is using fiberglass resin and fabric is very messy and it was impossible for me to work on the boots without another pair of hands to help hold things steady.

During the course of making the costume, I kept a little blog ... well. Tried to anyway. Towards the end things got a bit crazy and it became more of a "finish it now!" thing so taking step-by-step pictures went out the window a bit. Also, I'm forgetful. But if anyone is interested, you can find it here:

http://ailuroscreations.blogspot.com/search/label/draenei

Anyone who wants the quick rundown without my rambling:

hooves - four inch heel boots, hacked off the heel, added four inches of pvc pipe to the ball of the foot, formed a hoof out of lightweight cereal box cardboard, covered in fiberglass, then fabric/gorilla tape on the bottom

horns - standard packing styrofoam, glued together in stacks and shaped, then covered in paiper mache and painted, attached to two headbands

tail - fabric tube with an insert of a nylon leg, filled with polly pellet beads and tied off every inch or so to create a fake spine, giving the tail weight and movement

tendrils/tentacles - tiny handsewn tubes bobby pinned to my natural hair under the wig

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010 01:42:10 AM by MareMare - Reason: to reveal images for new user » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010 02:42:56 AM »

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!!!! I LOVE the hooves. You did such a great job on them. I'm sitting in a room with 2 guys and myself and we're all playing wow (horde though) but all 3 of us definitely love your costume. Such an awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010 03:41:07 AM »

I just read the entire blog posts and have to say the the construction to this is amazing and so well though out. I really want to make some warlock or paladin gear as being a blood elf would be super easy (add ears and super long eyebrows) I'm just too terrified at making plate armor or crazy glowy and spike warlock stuff. Maybe I'll try it next year. Thanks for the inspiration and what an EPIC costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010 04:23:06 AM »

Wow, that looks great! I love your photos too, the light's amazing - your hair seems to glow, and the purple really pops! Plus your hooves are very impressive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010 04:54:02 AM »

Oh WoW (ha ha!)! This is very, very good - the whole costume is really 'together', your face looks realistic and the hooves are amazing. Love all the poses too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010 05:34:33 AM »

oooh Draenei!  much better then a Night Elf. Although there wouldn't be an option of dancing on the mailboxes Wink
Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tygir

I am a leaf on the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010 06:32:43 AM »

Everything looks great! So many fun details  Grin The tail especially gets me, hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmodxgoddessx
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010 06:59:11 AM »

When I looked at your first photo, I honestly thought it was a digital image, because of how white your makeup was, and those hooves! You did a fantastic job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinnieMay9
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010 07:39:40 AM »

You look super amazing!  I love all of it!  The Draenei are my fav Alliance race to play!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
PosiTori
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010 08:05:38 AM »

LOL! Awesome. Are those hooves difficult to walk in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Succeed on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader
How to Succeed on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
How to Play Flip Cup
How to Play Speed Quarters
How to Play Quarters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...