A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas gift ideas for the family :)  (Read 2132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

michellesrsly

My puppy, Kobe. He's only 1 1/2!

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2010 07:01:42 PM »

Hi, well first, I'm a poor college student, so the more handmade presents I can make, the better. I need ideas for mom, 2 sisters, and sister's fiance. Ideas? Tutorials or links would be awesome, considering I'm a noob at crafting.

Mom:
likes Harry Potter, Star Trek, German Shepherds, etc.

Sister 1(age: 21):
likes dragons, dinosaurs, World of Warcraft, foreign/horror movies, Super Mario, etc.

Sister 2(age:28) + fiance(27):
are foodies, enjoy speciality wine/beer, do outdoorsy things like biking/running, fiance is an engineer, sister does networking, getting married next August, I have no idea what to get her fiance!

THANK YOU in advance for any ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arunacat

Crafting is more than a passion.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010 02:04:18 AM »

For your mom you could do a calendar with german shepherd pictures. Considering you have one of your own you could take pictures of him while playing in a park, sleeping, eating and so on. Or does your mom have a shepherd, too? Than you could take pictures of both of them toghether. Or you could do a silhoutte picture of him. And you could craft a Star Trek or Harry Potter memory game where she has to find the two matching cards. For this you could use her favourite characters...

For sister 1 I could recommend the Super Mario Coasters I saw around the community somewhere. Actually I am doing Super Mario Coasters together with my 4 yo boy for my husband. We are not stitching them but are using perler beads which is easier. Maybe you know what character your sister is in World of Warcraft. Than you could try to paint it.

For sister 2 and her fiance... maybe you could do a christmas licqor and present it in a nice bottle. Or you could give them a gift certificate where you promise to help them with there wedding, like crafting centerpieces or something like that.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

As long as it is colourful I love it.
michellesrsly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010 09:19:58 AM »

The calender idea is amazing! I think I'm def. going to do that! I even have pics of our shepherd tearing into some Christmas presents last year for the December pic. Thank you so much!! You just gave me so many ideas!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bedheadchic

handmade, homebaked, gifts, joy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010 12:17:50 PM »

The dog calendar reminded me of this idea:
http://www.onepearlbutton.com/2010/11/calendar-present.html

perfect if your mom has an office job/home office.

For your sister and her fiancee I would recommend getting them something as a couple - part of welcoming him into the family and celebrating their togetherness but also saves you money. Maybe put together a luxury food hamper. You could make one or two items (maybe mix up some chutney/ jam) and fill the rest with gourmet shop bought stuff. Sicne they are outdoorsy you could take this idea and make it into a picnic hamper type thing. Or (maybe file this one for a wedding present) a breakfast in bed set with a teapot that holds two cups, some artisan bread, little bottle of champagne - with a note saying it's for their first morning together as a married couple.

Hope this inspires a little,

Blue Skies
Charlotte xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueskiesblog.blogspot.com
wists.com/charlottetp

January Birthday Swap - Sent
Keep Me Warm Swap - Sent
International Snack Swap - Completed
ebygomm
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010 12:50:44 PM »

Sewmamasew has some great handmade holiday ideas

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?cat=25
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DragonEyze
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010 08:30:33 PM »

Men in my family are hard to craft for.

So this year: HOME MADE MUSTARD & PUB CHEESE.
I'm going to Goodwill to find cheese crocks. $1 - $5

Mustard Recipes: http://www.melborponsti.com/inxmtd.html

Cheese Recipes: http://www.thefreshmarket.com/recipes/recipes_details_review.aspx?RecipeID=309
and http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/615/Golden-Bee-Cheese108569.shtml

I'm sure I'll find something to gather this in while I"m at Goodwill.  Crocks of cheese & mustard, crackers, sausage.

I haven't tried this yet, but I hope it goes over well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."
John Lennon
dancedupapillon
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010 08:02:10 AM »

For your sister and her fianc, you should make them aprons!  My sister and my fianc's sister both love to bake, and I/we made them each aprons for Christmas which they really loved. 

For your mom and your other sister, you could paint a plain ceramic mug that you can get at a dollar store or Wal-mart or something.  There are ceramic paints that you cure in the oven that are microwave and dishwasher safe.  You could make your mom a Federation insignia one, or one with Warf's love advice quotes or something along the lines of that.  For your sister, you could paint a classic Mario world all the way around it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
karaann07
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010 10:22:34 AM »

Ooooh, I love the cheese crock idea! That is a really good idea! I think my dad might really like something like that, too. Crackers and sausage and some homemade spicy "dips". I really like that! This gift idea just moved to #1 on my list of ideas for my dad! He always just wants shirts for Christmas.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monnie31
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010 07:31:50 PM »

great ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellesrsly

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010 10:12:10 AM »

dancedupapillon, awesome idea, but I think I'm going to save that and make them Mr. adn Mrs. aprons for wedding gifts for both of them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build a Chroma Key - Shake 4.1
How to Make a Hologram - Shake 4.1
How to Create Text Effect - Shake 4.1
How to Use Boris Vector Shape Generator - Final Cut Pro
How to Make a Teleport Effect - Final Cut Pro
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...