A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 303,137
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shar Pei puppy Coats??  (Read 1596 times)
Tags for this thread: dog , dog_clothing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2005 07:34:09 PM »

My Shar Pei puppy is 8wks old and here in AUS winter is coming. I really wanna make him some cute little coats but i'm a bit worried about his size.
I've seen really cute piccies of chiuahuas with coats but not many coats for bigger dogs!
Has anyone got any piccies or ideas for coats to make for Shar Pei's?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005 09:55:10 PM by kitty_cat015 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005 08:14:07 AM »

Are you planning on sewing or knitting a coat?
I knitted my mom's sharpei a few jersies a while back and it was rather easy.It also depends whether your shar pei is male or female(female's jersey can cover the entire tummy).
I had used more or less the same pattern for my dachshund and it works well for both of them.

For the knitted jersey here's a pattern I quickly sketched up.
Basically the top part(covers the back)I'd knit in stocking stitch and rib at the bottom(waist)(I'd usually start with rib).The bottom is a bit longer than the top and tapers near the waist and knitted entirely in rib.The collar is knitted separately in just plain knit(dunno if there's a name for that?) and sewn on afterwards.Just keep in mind that you'd knit it so that the stitches run widthways so you can fold it over afterwards.
This pattern only works if your puppy is a girl though since it covers the whole tummy.

I don't have any pics now with me but I'll post some tomorrow!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010 08:03:45 AM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005 11:13:22 PM »

Thanks for posting! He's a boy so i wil make the bottom a bit shorter! I've neva seen any Shar Peis with coats or anything, so thanks heaps for the idea and pattern! Wil post a piccie once i've made it! Thanks. Piccies would be great to see!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005 01:41:48 AM »

I make my own dogs coats because I my dogs are bigger than the normal size you find in the shops take a look
just click on the pictures to see a bigger version of it - if you measure your dog and draw a rough pattern then transfer that onto your material - don't know if that made sense - I'm not very good at giving instructions - lol

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005 11:42:46 PM »

Thanks for posting. the coats are so cute. I have a pattern from another craftster but her coat is on a cute lil chihuahua. In the process of SLOWLY making a few coats. Wil hav piccies up soon.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005 02:33:29 AM »

can't wait to see the piccies - good luck with the coat

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hottest Hair Trends for Fall
Safflower Oil Treatment for Your Hair
Healthy Hair Makeover
How to Repair Chlorine Damaged Hair
Hair Makeover Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator
Beware! Black Cats!
Meatless Monday: Pickled Peppers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...