A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Capri Sun Clutch ** NOW WITH TUTORIAL**  (Read 18633 times)
Tags for this thread: capri_sun , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brandnewday
« on: May 22, 2005 06:47:39 PM »

So I had my 4th graders save me all their Capri Sun pouches for the last week or so just so that I could make a few fun items.  Here's the results!!

It could be a deluxe checkbook cover or a clutch!!

I gave them both to one of my young friends, who is loving them now!  She's ready to strut her stuff at middle school tomorrow! Can't wait to make more...one for me this time maybe.
***NOW WITH CLUTCH TUTORIAL******UPDATE **** So sorry all the tutorial pics were hosted at another server and now they are all missing! DANG IT...that was a good picture tutorial and now it's gone.  WELL, here's the tutorial in just words at least ***********
HOW TO MAKE IT!!
Find 6 Capri Sun Pouches and 1 Kool-Aid Jammers pouch(the ones with the clear backs- for the ID holder)
Wash them all out by cutting a slit in the bottom of each and rinsing them with hot water.  Let them dry for a day or so.  Also, you can use something like goo-gone and an old credit card to scrape off the glue that holds the straw on.

Put four of the pouches together in a square and zigzag stitch them together. ALWAYS BACKSTITCH ON EVERY SEAM!!

Fold down the top edge about 3 inches to make the pocket for dollar bills or a check book. Then fold the whole thing in half to make a crease line for the center.

Cut one of the other pouches up to make a 2 inch strip that will become the velcro tab. Fold that strip in half and sew along all edges and sew hook part of velcro to one end.  Position it on the clutch with scotch tape were you think it would look best. Sew the tab on and then sew the fuzzy part of the velcro to the clutch.

Refold the dollar pouch down.

Take another juice pouch and cut it to be the two card slots.  I cut mine about 2 to 2 1/2 inches from the top so one part is bigger than the other. Then cut the Jammer pouch to be the same size as your biggest section of the Capri Sun pouch.  *BE sure that you cut the Jammers pouch so that you use the straw end of the pouch to be the bottom of your ID pocket. Sew across the tops of the two Capri Sun sections. Lay all three sections out and scotch tape them down to make them stay while you stitch.

Stitch around the three outer edges of the clutch, excluding the side with the tab sewn on.  Stitch down the middle of the pocket section. I stitch all the way to the middle so it looks better. When you're all done peel off all the tape.

AND TA DA!! You have a new Capri Sun Clutch to enjoy!!

Good Luck!! Email or PM me if you have any questions! Post your finished clutches here too so we can see all the different kinds of pouches!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007 07:35:59 PM by brandnewday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://inthekeyoflife.typepad.com - Check out the 'She Keeps on Stitchin' photo album for finished projects.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ~Einstein
isloovereal
QueenStephy

Sew Hot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005 07:13:40 PM »

fkajdksdfaahg;hyiosadjlkyhaioweru otu14209568901234tk lasfjkglajsd_______ _________

TUTE TUTE TUTE!!!

especially for the ADORABLEEE clutch/wallet

i wanna make one!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"How's a raven like a writing desk?" -Alice in Wonderland

how is it??
carrythecross
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005 07:18:00 PM »

Awesome! It looks rather difficult though; in a way. How did you get them all patched together? Glue? Haha there's a ton of Capri Suns in the fridge; could you possibly do a small tutorial for the clutch/bag? I love them! Creativity at its best.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DTchick
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005 07:31:07 PM »

That's awesome. I've never seen those grape puches before. Then again, I hate grape flavored stuff. I just made my first Capri Sun bag. Since I can't sew for beans, I attatch all of my stuff with duct tape. Okay, enough random info. Awesome work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't cause commotions; I am one.

I didn't recognize you without the handcuffs.
claypeanut
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005 07:37:35 PM »

What other kinds of fun things (drinks, chips...?) are made out of a similar material?  This looks great....I need a clutch/wallet like that!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brandnewday
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005 08:02:41 PM »

I'm thinking about making another one of the cluthes for myself so I'll have to add a tutorial after I get that done.  Hopefully this week!

Also, I don't know of anything else that is made of this same material.(besides the other brands of juice - Kool Aid Jammers, Minute Maid, and Hi-C) The pouches aren't just foil like a chip bag, but they have some sort of plasticy stuff in there too.  SUPPER DURABLE!! I'd like to know too if anyone else knows of other things made of this material.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2005 08:05:49 PM by brandnewday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://inthekeyoflife.typepad.com - Check out the 'She Keeps on Stitchin' photo album for finished projects.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ~Einstein
Te3n4ge_Reb3LL

Safety Pins R Fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005 05:54:03 PM »

Cute! I've been thinking of making one because my bros gf wants one but I need to figure out how to make them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muffinpod
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005 05:37:54 PM »

my mum just bought 4 boxes of those icky drinks for the sole purpose of using the pouches as a sewing medium!

she HATED working with them... she said it was awful/too thick/slippery... is it that bad?

i'm in love with that clutch, by the way

THIS ROCKS   Logged

surfergrl311

&& don't be so so sure. this is all it adds up to

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005 07:48:55 PM »

i must ask for a tute on the clutch as well! its so cute and not like the others i've seen! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brandnewday
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005 04:37:33 AM »

she HATED working with them... she said it was awful/too thick/slippery... is it that bad?
It's really not that bad, but you do need to do some prep work.  I cut a slit in the bottom of all the pouches and rinsed them with hot water, let them dry for a day and then used GO-GOne to get the little straw sticky off.  The only thing I noticed after all that was that after I stitched them any of the extra 'water' moisture came out, making the clutch feel a little dewy on the outside. I didn't have a problem?! Just make sure to rinse before hand.
ALSO...as for the slippery... I used a little scotch tape on the hard seams and then peeled it off afterward.  I've also heard of people hot glueing the seams first so they stay.

i must ask for a tute on the clutch as well! its so cute and not like the others i've seen! Grin
I'm intending to put up a tutorial on the clutch, but the week has been hectic and hubby wants to go camping this weekend.  Maybe I can squeeze it in or look for it next week!  I PROMISE!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Blue-Green Eye Makeup Inspired by Kelly Osbourne
Three Beauty Mistakes That Make You Look Tired
4 Treatments for Younger Looking Skin
Beauty Products for Spring
5 Ways to Upgrade Your French Manicure
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...