A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegetarianism in childhood  (Read 2408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011 08:23:40 AM »

Does anyone have an explanation to this?  Why does a child become vegetarians without a cause?  I mean, they didn't know anything about animal rights yet, as adult vegetarians do.  Is it just simply a difference in taste buds? Maybe. Huh

Maybe a texture thing? Even today (at 32) I can't eat yogurt. I just can't stand the feel of it in my mouth. Same with jello and pudding. Blech. Ground beef? Weird texture.

Also, even when I ate meat, I couldn't touch it before it was cooked. Nasty, slimy, raw muscle. Sooooooo gross. Or maybe I'm just really weird. Okay, I'm really weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spooky2012
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011 10:01:03 PM »

I say a texture thing. I actually became more bothered by textures as an adult (I went veg at 15) than I was as a child (I was the most non-picky child on the planet). It could also be a flavor thing. My mom remembers when my sister was a baby, her screaming bloody murder when given baby food chicken. I guess it just depends on the kid.

I was and still am the only vegetarian in my family, and it was weird at first, but now we have it figured out and we just go with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011 12:06:19 PM »

I grew up wuth a vegetarian mother but she cooked meats for us...she always made the comment that vegetarianism is a personal choice and that she'd not force it upon us...i didnt change my eating habits until i just couldnt take being sick anymore, and i mean literally sick.  Redmeats have me in the bathroom for hours (sorry to be graphic).  But when i became pregnant i changed my diet completely...cooked meats were the first things i could not be around while PG...When my son was born i made the same decision as my mom, let him make his own decisions.  He tends to just mimic me and will choose veggies over meat.  He will actually spit out his chicken and eat my salad instead or his veggies (nothing im advocating here!) ..they test his protein lvls @ the docs and it's perfect... Again, i think with children most of the time they are a product of their enviroment and will tend to mimic their parents..and no, i dont spit out my chicken lol...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tldx
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011 06:18:03 AM »

This was an issue that I stressed over during my pregnancy.  I am a strong believer that vegetarianism is a personal choice and that it would be wrong to force it on my child but at the same time how can something so important to me be cast aside?  Eventually I started polling everyone I knew, vegetarians and meat eaters alike, just to get their input.  Oddly enough, the only person who told me to feed my daughter meat was a vegan!  (We carefully avoided asking the grandparents for their opinions because they still give me a hard time for being veg).So were a vegetarian household, except for the cats.  My daughter is 7 , only a foot shorter than I am and as healthy as anyone could hope for.  She loves food and begs to help in the kitchen and seems to have a real grasp of nutrition.  I think that I made the right choice.

As for kids who wont eat meatI was one of them.  Long before Id even heard the word vegetarian or understood where that meat on my plate came from, Id eat around it.  It was a combination of taste and texture.  I did eat sausage, but dreaded chicken and simply would not touch steak or pork.  Apparently that aversion didnt hurt me, despite the fact that my parents didnt know what to do to supplement my protein, but I did resent my parents attempts to force me to eat foods that I really disliked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011 07:50:33 AM »

In my chef days, I found more people who couldn't stand the taste or texture of veggies than meat. Legumes? Yuck, for most people. Soy? If they could stand the taste they couldn't stand the gas. It's not just a one-way street. There are plenty of vegans who don't like every vegetable, too. There's one of everything round the dining table!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubylynns
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011 04:10:18 PM »

My husband and I very rarely eat meat, typically only if we are out to eat, and have many vegan meals a weeks. My son is 2 and I was torn like a few of you personal choice or make him.  In our case when he turned 2 I decided I'd let him try some meat and he won't touch it.  I'm fine with that, as he gets older if he chooses to eat meat I will let him. I won't touch raw meat though, so we never cook with it, and that's not going to change.  I don't know that he will ever eat meat at home.  I've never really ate any meat either.  I honestly don't think I've ever ate hamburger.  When i was younger the only meat I would eat is chicken breast and still if I do eat meat that's all I will eat. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Mouth-Watering Memorial Day Burgers
Perfect Picnic Rosemary Potato Salad Recipe
How to Grill Up a Tasty Turkey Bruschetta Burger
3 Great Ways to Grill Your Breakfast
How to Make Vegetable Cheddar Breakfast Muffins
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...