A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me finish a Wallet! :)  (Read 750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Etincelle15
« on: November 03, 2010 03:55:01 PM »

Hello All!

I am looking for suggestions as to how to finish this wallet I am making for my sister. I kind of sew as I go and therefore probably did not plan this as well as I could have....

This is the "almost" end result. The only thing I need to figure out is how to hide the end seams. I tried folding the same white vinyl used on the outside of the wallet but I find it is not only difficult to keep in place, but it also is WAY too thick for my sewing machine to eat. I have thought about folding a thinner fabric on the seam or doing a decorative zig zag stitch.

I was wondering if there is some-kind of adhesive border that I could fold to wrap around the seam that would hold up. I also tried hand sewing and it was a complete hallucination that it could be done, just way too thick.

Any products, tips or ideas would be so appreciated. My sister's birthday was in April and needless to say she has been bothering me ever since to finish.

Thanks,
Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anyuta
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011 07:17:39 AM »

That's really adorable! It's a shame it's sitting around unfinished, this must be remedied at once!

What if you glued a wide satin ribbon on the seams? Some white or brown would look nice =)
It would be easy to fold, you just need to make sure it's wide enough to wrap around the edges. I would use instant glue (I think it's meant for plastic and such), I'm not sure if there is such a thing as fabric glue.

For next time, it would be easier to plan ahead and hide the seams. Just cut the fabric larger than what you're going to need and fold it over at the edge before sewing.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the fabric you used is called? I want to make a wallet, but am not sure what to use... I don't have any sturdy fabric lying around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wildwoodgardens
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011 11:46:25 AM »

Make some homemade bias tape if you have any leftovers of the owl fabric or find a color to match then sew it around the edges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ComeOnGetDown
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011 09:43:13 AM »

do you have a walking foot on your machine?  i think a bias strip of the owl fabric around the outside would be super cute... i think the walking foot would help to get all those layers through your machine.  i've heard other people use leather or jeans needles also when making bags because of all the thick layers.  hopefully you work something out because that wallet is too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 3 Antioxidant-Packed Snacks for Beautiful Skin
DIY Lip Plumper
Cindy Crawford and Sonia Kashuk Share Makeup Secrets
Tips For Quick Makeup and the Best Foundation
Stand Out at an Audition With Signature Personal Style
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...