A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Voodoo Doll & Witch Doctor!  (Read 3817 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pieknits
« on: November 03, 2010 01:47:00 PM »

I loved our costumes this year and I made everything we didn't already have and the total cost for both was $15!

My full Voodoo Doll costumes (I'm missing my wrist grass in above photo, oops).
Details:
I kept it simple and just winged this without any pattern. The burlap I got 50% off for $1.50/yard. I lined the top with muslin I had on hand. The skirt is a simple half circle skirt. The only closures as simple drawstrings with cotton yarn. I then embroidered the X stitches with some black yarn and drew on the Voodoo VeVe symbols in marker.
Cut out a heart from some red felt and fabric glued it on. For the "pins" I used some knitting needles and inserted a piece of Styrofoam in between the burlap and lining to stab the needles into.

I used left over yarn that I partially felted for some dreadlocks. A grass skirt and wristlets I made from a big bag of craft rafia I got on sale. The skirt has knotted bunches of rafia tied to a waist band. For the wrists I glued down pieces to a braided strand then stitched over them to hold in place. The cowrie shell belt I had gotten at a thrift store for $1 to use for bellydance but ended up working perfect for this too. I also made a little draw string pouch to hand off my belt from the scraps.

I won my company's annual costume contest for the first year!   Cheesy

My husband went as a Witch Doctor/Voodoo Priest (Baron Samedi inspired). For this we already had the suit, the top hat, and even the skeleton t-shirt. Also had the basic cane that had a rounded knob top and the thrifted plastic skull. So to make the staff I cut a hole in the base of the skull and mounted it onto the top of the cane. Then I bought a roll of medical gauze from the dollar store, tea-stained it to off white and tore it up. Next I wrapped this along with string with feathers tied in it around the cane.

The skeleton gloves I also scored at a dollar store for $1. To decorate the hat wrapped it in some red ribbon and added lots of feathers. Also wove several strands of left-over rafia from my costumes to make another band (hard to see in the photos). Added 2 cheap skull necklaces and he also got to use his colored contacts he had gotten awhile back. (And I love getting to do make up!)

We got such great responses from these and had so much fun wearing them!

More details and photos on my blog: www.pieknits.com/blog/2010/11/voodoo_halloween.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010 03:28:17 PM »

love this...its so imaginative and its great to see that its not the tired old "slutty something" costume, I have no problem with sexy and revealing clothing, but its such a cliche at halloween

I love how yours match and that they are inventive, well made and cheap! well done. *rocks*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SciFunk
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010 10:17:01 PM »

Brilliant idea for a couples costume. Your voodoo doll is wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

putingtikbalang
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010 03:12:26 AM »

Wow! Great work, you guys. The skeleton costume made me think of  Baron Samedi. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~
http://the-hobby-horse.blogspot.com
A crafter and kitcheneer from Manila documents her exploits, experiments, and explosions.
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010 02:28:35 PM »

Fantastic idea, wonderfully well-executed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pieknits
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010 07:35:34 AM »

Thanks everyone! I had so much fun making and wearing our costumes this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doyouloveanapple
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010 11:18:09 AM »

Great costumes! I've seen voodoo doll costumes before, but this was just fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.et sy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Arrange Flowers Like a Pro
How to Make a Beatbox Puppet
How to Make Silly Putty
How to Make a Rainstick
How to Pick Out Knitting Yarn
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...