A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Voodoo Doll & Witch Doctor!  (Read 3837 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pieknits
« on: November 03, 2010 01:47:00 PM »

I loved our costumes this year and I made everything we didn't already have and the total cost for both was $15!

My full Voodoo Doll costumes (I'm missing my wrist grass in above photo, oops).
Details:
I kept it simple and just winged this without any pattern. The burlap I got 50% off for $1.50/yard. I lined the top with muslin I had on hand. The skirt is a simple half circle skirt. The only closures as simple drawstrings with cotton yarn. I then embroidered the X stitches with some black yarn and drew on the Voodoo VeVe symbols in marker.
Cut out a heart from some red felt and fabric glued it on. For the "pins" I used some knitting needles and inserted a piece of Styrofoam in between the burlap and lining to stab the needles into.

I used left over yarn that I partially felted for some dreadlocks. A grass skirt and wristlets I made from a big bag of craft rafia I got on sale. The skirt has knotted bunches of rafia tied to a waist band. For the wrists I glued down pieces to a braided strand then stitched over them to hold in place. The cowrie shell belt I had gotten at a thrift store for $1 to use for bellydance but ended up working perfect for this too. I also made a little draw string pouch to hand off my belt from the scraps.

I won my company's annual costume contest for the first year!   Cheesy

My husband went as a Witch Doctor/Voodoo Priest (Baron Samedi inspired). For this we already had the suit, the top hat, and even the skeleton t-shirt. Also had the basic cane that had a rounded knob top and the thrifted plastic skull. So to make the staff I cut a hole in the base of the skull and mounted it onto the top of the cane. Then I bought a roll of medical gauze from the dollar store, tea-stained it to off white and tore it up. Next I wrapped this along with string with feathers tied in it around the cane.

The skeleton gloves I also scored at a dollar store for $1. To decorate the hat wrapped it in some red ribbon and added lots of feathers. Also wove several strands of left-over rafia from my costumes to make another band (hard to see in the photos). Added 2 cheap skull necklaces and he also got to use his colored contacts he had gotten awhile back. (And I love getting to do make up!)

We got such great responses from these and had so much fun wearing them!

More details and photos on my blog: www.pieknits.com/blog/2010/11/voodoo_halloween.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010 03:28:17 PM »

love this...its so imaginative and its great to see that its not the tired old "slutty something" costume, I have no problem with sexy and revealing clothing, but its such a cliche at halloween

I love how yours match and that they are inventive, well made and cheap! well done. *rocks*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SciFunk
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010 10:17:01 PM »

Brilliant idea for a couples costume. Your voodoo doll is wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

putingtikbalang
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010 03:12:26 AM »

Wow! Great work, you guys. The skeleton costume made me think of  Baron Samedi. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~
http://the-hobby-horse.blogspot.com
A crafter and kitcheneer from Manila documents her exploits, experiments, and explosions.
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010 02:28:35 PM »

Fantastic idea, wonderfully well-executed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pieknits
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010 07:35:34 AM »

Thanks everyone! I had so much fun making and wearing our costumes this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doyouloveanapple
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010 11:18:09 AM »

Great costumes! I've seen voodoo doll costumes before, but this was just fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.et sy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Rhyme
How to Improve Your Handwriting
Using Twitter to Exercise Creative Writing Skills
Round About the Earth Book Trailer
Kevin Burrows and Lawrence Schlossman Discuss Their Book
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...