A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A night as Avatar  (Read 10539 times)
Tags for this thread: avatar , craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010 03:10:42 PM »

Great costume, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
somethingcelestual
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010 03:27:37 PM »

did you airbrush this costume, or someone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katastrophicallykat
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010 04:34:33 PM »

I think the costume is fantastic - you did a wonderful job with the handmade pieces and the bodyart is beautiful.  I especially love all the face details - amazing!  Please don't hesitate to join another challenge in the future!!!  Grin

I'm sorry you've been given such a hard time about this, it's really not like Craftster folks at all to question the veracity of your post.  I looked at the pictures on the other site and I don't get why people would think it was altered. 

Your costume is fantastic, it's the best Avatar depiction I've ever seen.
Great costume, I love it!

Thanks so much!

did you airbrush this costume, or someone else?

I have a fabulous friend and makeup artist to thank for the airbrushing (he's in Georgia, if anyone wants his name, pm me), but I explicitly listed all the pieces I MADE. So...all the leather bits. I know it's a simple costume, but I was proud of it and felt like sharing.

That'll teach me.

I didn't honestly expect to win; that's not why I posted this. There's the Leeloo costume with the homemade suspenders from liquid silicone. There's the fabulously creepy donnie darko rabbit mask. There's the complicated terminator mask. There are the Yip Yips, the ringmaster, the candycorn fairy... All of these are a trillion times better than my own humble leather loincloth, top, and bracelet. But I was still darn proud of 'em, and I thought I'd show them off to my fellow craftsters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
asl1429

It's what makes time travel possible.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010 06:00:04 PM »

I saw your post last night for the first time and was completely amazed.  I didnt have time then to post a comment.  Then I come back tonight to post how much I love your costume and was shocked by what has happened.  Your thunder has been stolen!  Well, Missie, I would just like to tell you that I think your costume is great...and 100% real!!!  There is nothing about this that I could have done myself, from the airbrush to braving the lack of clothing, but that doesnt mean I am going to attack you for it.  I will just admire you for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katastrophicallykat
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010 06:45:20 PM »

I saw your post last night for the first time and was completely amazed.  I didnt have time then to post a comment.  Then I come back tonight to post how much I love your costume and was shocked by what has happened.  Your thunder has been stolen!  Well, Missie, I would just like to tell you that I think your costume is great...and 100% real!!!  There is nothing about this that I could have done myself, from the airbrush to braving the lack of clothing, but that doesnt mean I am going to attack you for it.  I will just admire you for it!

Awww. You're so sweet. Thanks so much, asl! It was a super fun costume to wear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamratoo
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010 07:21:17 PM »

Don't you dare withdraw! Just ignore the bullies (or bully). In the 1st photo you can see where your shoulder causes an indention in the guys shirt, in the second photo the other girls black purse is going over part of your hip, and in the 3rd you can see your shadow on the ground. It is obvious that nothing has been altered on these photos other than the faces of other people. You did a damn fine job on the parts you made, and especially on your creativity in bringing your costume idea to life. Not to mention the simple fact that you have to be in top physical shape to pull this costume off, and you don't achieve that by doing nothing. So what if you did not personally do your own makeup? You think everyone else did their own makeup? I assure you most did not. I entered this challenge with a corpse bride/Emily costume and I did NOT do my own makeup. There are a lot of children's costumes on here and I am pretty sure they did not do their own makeup.
I think your costume is easily in the top 5 right now, and you EARNED it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamratoo
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010 07:34:21 PM »

i saw the pieces you MADE, but i honestly think most of your costume was your makeup, which you didnt do.  someone having their artist friend airbrush their eyeshadow on, is a completely different story than you having someone else do most of your costume.

perhaps a better home for this would have been the halloween section & not the costume contest challenge?

I believe that the challenge requirement is that some COMPONENT of your costume be made by yourself. This costume, as well as my own since I am not sure if you are addressing me or the OP, more than satisfies the requirement. Perhaps you should read the requirements? It does not specify a percentage that must be met. She has every right to have her costume in this challenge and it is an outstanding costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katastrophicallykat
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010 07:48:15 PM »

i saw the pieces you MADE, but i honestly think most of your costume was your makeup, which you didnt do.  someone having their artist friend airbrush their eyeshadow on, is a completely different story than you having someone else do most of your costume.

perhaps a better home for this would have been the halloween section & not the costume contest challenge?

I believe that the challenge requirement is that some COMPONENT of your costume be made by yourself. This costume, as well as my own since I am not sure if you are addressing me or the OP, more than satisfies the requirement. Perhaps you should read the requirements? It does not specify a percentage that must be met. She has every right to have her costume in this challenge and it is an outstanding costume.

Oi. This is getting ridiculous. -headdesk-

Thanks for your support, tamratoo! I did read the challenge requirements, and like I said, I'm not going to win anyway, so why all the fuss? I cut all the leather bits, designed the top and bottom and pieced them together. I'm pretty sure that's well within the rules. I did post another entry under Halloween costumes. Just figured I might as well toss it in the challenge category as well since I was so pleased with the final product. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamratoo
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010 07:55:33 PM »

I honestly think you have a very good chance of winning. And I was not suggesting that YOU read the requirements, but rather that the person suggesting you should not be in the challenge should go back and read them. Heck, I only actually made the wig and did an alteration on the viel in my costume, everything else was stuff I already had. But I designed and executed the overall costume, just like you did with yours.
Don't sell yourself short. You have more of a chance at winning this than you think. You obviously have other people feeling threatened enough that they feel the need to question your right to be in this .... LOL
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010 07:57:42 PM by tamratoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
brodysmom
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010 07:59:30 PM »

WOW!! That took guts! You look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Regional Cooking in Mumbai
Veggie Hoisin Stir Fry Recipe
Thai Chicken Pasta Recipe
How to Make a Maki Roll
The Cuisine of the Filipino American Community
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...