A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A night as Avatar  (Read 10087 times)
Tags for this thread: avatar , craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LoveoftheDark
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010 07:41:16 PM »

It was not computer done, but I'm flattered that you think so. It was all airbrushed, and it took three hours to do, not counting the time it took to make the leather top and loincloth. The tail was a furry costume mouse tail wrapped in latex and then painted to match my body.

Its just...the loin cloth looks so computer'd you know? and there are no shadows or rounding on the arms, legs or torso. Even airbrushed, the body would show some form. it looks quite flat, which is what made me think it was touched up in photoshop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sketchbook swap? Contact me if you're interested!
Other personal swap? Totally interested!
LoveoftheDark
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010 07:44:42 PM »

Wow, that looks amazing! The effect is astonishing. And you must be very brave to go out like that!

Please ignore the people who accuse you of computer manipulation. Sometimes people can't stand the idea that someone else can do something they can't, so they need to cast aspersions Sad Earlier this year someone accused me of using a computer transfer because they couldn't believe that I'd painted it, it's sad really. People here do plenty of amazing things I could never do, but just because *I* can't do something, doesn't mean that these talented people can't!

Calm down dear. I wasn't accusing her of anything, I was asking an honest question. I work with photographs for a living, and I've never seen anything like this before. There are no cast or core shadows anywhere on her whole body, which even paint wouldnt take away. It looks like a piece of paper cut out and pasted to the background. Its a strange effect, and thats why I asked. It has nothing to do with my inability to create are...LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoveoftheDark
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010 07:51:26 PM »

I just went to the website of the professional photographers images, and they are drastically different from the ones posted...
The glow is gone, and we can see the roundness of your flesh. '

Thats what made me think you must have enhanced the contrast is all...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katastrophicallykat
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010 08:16:39 PM »

I just went to the website of the professional photographers images, and they are drastically different from the ones posted...
The glow is gone, and we can see the roundness of your flesh. '

Thats what made me think you must have enhanced the contrast is all...

To be honest, I'm so technologically challenged I wouldn't know how to do that...

The photos that I posted were taken with a friend's phone because I don't even own a camera. The flash was on. And there were other light sources. Maybe that's what's making it look flat? I don't know. I'm not a photographer, and I'm not a photoshop user either.

I didn't take offense at all to your question. But I am being totally honest when I say that these photos have not been enhanced in any way.

Anyhoot. That got a bit intense... Hope nobody's feathers are ruffled.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010 08:22:21 PM by katastrophicallykat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Orizas

knitter & gunslinger

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010 08:54:18 PM »

I went and looked at the photos and found several.  You look great in the photos, to me they don't look drastically different, just like they were taken in different lighting.  you look fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LauPre

I've lost my scissors... again?!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010 09:28:02 AM »

For some reason I feel compelled to toss in my two cents.  The photos have obviously been altered at least to protect the identities of some people (unless those people beside the original poster both suffer from some awful blurry face birth defect Wink ) Regardless of my opinion or whether the photos were doctored or not though, this isn't a photography contest, and this isn't a body makeup contest.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but since she didn't do the airbrushing herself, it's not really part of the DIY, right? We are looking at the costume she made (the leather pieces), which look unaltered to me when I look at the photos.  I'll be deciding where to vote based on the effort and skill put into crafting a costume and not on photography or retouching skills.

anyway, to katastrophicallykat, I think you look lovely, good luck in the challenge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some personal swaps.
I'm looking for handmade soaps, jewelry, and knit legwarmers/socks.
pm me if I can sew something for you!

Blog : http://blog.laupre.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/laupre
Home: http://LauPre.com
LoveoftheDark
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010 10:40:04 AM »

yeah I never meant to ruffle any feathers there...was just curious.

You do look amazing in the costume! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katastrophicallykat
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010 10:46:23 AM »

Hokay guys. Really the prize for this challenge isn't worth the time and effort of doctoring the photos. I mean seriously... isn't the prize a tee shirt or something? And getting featured on the site? The only doctoring, as pointed out, was blurring out faces on others that were present at the event. If it'll make everyone feel better, and to prove I have nothing to gain from editing the photos, I will withdraw from the challenge. This was my first challenge entry. It's been a pleasure. =/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whats_her_name
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010 12:43:48 PM »

I think the costume is fantastic - you did a wonderful job with the handmade pieces and the bodyart is beautiful.  I especially love all the face details - amazing!  Please don't hesitate to join another challenge in the future!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jatoha
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010 02:59:28 PM »

I'm sorry you've been given such a hard time about this, it's really not like Craftster folks at all to question the veracity of your post.  I looked at the pictures on the other site and I don't get why people would think it was altered. 

Your costume is fantastic, it's the best Avatar depiction I've ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Easy Waves with a Flat Iron
Best Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Tips: How To Cut Your Own Bangs
Keep Curly Hair Frizz Free With This Hair Care Set
How to Braid Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...