A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renegade beanie  (Read 1260 times)
Tags for this thread: mass_effect , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rinoa1024
« on: November 02, 2010 05:18:58 PM »

This is a double knit, reversible beanie knit from Knitpicks Essential (from stash, yay!)  The logo is the "renegade" logo from Mass Effect.  I started knitting this beanie for my boyfriend sometime in February (after the release of Mass Effect 2) and finished it in April...only to find that it was an inch too short for his head. Sad  It sat unworn for a few months before I frogged and reknit the crown about 2 weeks ago.  Finished blocking on Halloween.  Now he has a new winter hat. Smiley

He's normally camera-shy but was sweet enough to model for me.

At first he was like...

But then he lol'd. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SapphireGypsy
If it's Nerdy, I'll make it.

Don't make me use my wand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010 06:39:17 PM »

I love it. I haven't been brave enough to take on double knitting yet but this makes me want to. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmuppy
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010 08:16:49 PM »

That looks really really really really awesome. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lanysmiles
the conscience midget

it helps to smile, once in a while

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010 09:33:16 AM »

oooh! wow what an awesome hat- it must be so lovely and warm!! And you have such patience!! Smiley

i am in awe ~double knitting looks incredibly hard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ficklephonebug
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010 07:33:42 PM »

The hat is Fantastic, excellent job!  I'm so glad that you frogged it back and re-worked it, your work is really nice, :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rinoa1024
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010 04:11:07 PM »

Thanks everyone! Grin 

To the people who think double knitting is hard/scary (eep!):  When I designed this hat, I knew I wanted it to be double-layered because sock yarn doesn't produce a thick enough fabric for a beanie.  I liked the look of double-knitting but it ended up being a little too complicated to me too (this was my first "double-knitted" project).  I wasn't used to constantly switching between knitting and purling and keeping track of two working yarns, so I improvised a different technique to produce the same result.

I had the hat layers on two separate circulars and went back and forth between the two needles for each round I knitted.  Whenever there was a color change, I'd use my working yarn and swap to the other needle and work all the stitches that needed that color.  Then I'd go back to the first needle and knit the stitches I skipped over in the other color.  I knitted back and forth between the needles like this until I finished the logo.  At that point, I knitted the crowns separately.  It was quite fiddly but I preferred doing it this way because I worked with one yarn at a time (compared to constantly switching between knitting and purling and keeping track of two working yarns).  The downside is you have to have two sets of needles that are the same size and it probably takes longer to knit this way.  However, it may be worth a try if you like the look of double knitting but find the traditional technique a little daunting. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jen6265
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010 09:02:01 AM »

Looks really warm and cozy, v. wearable.  Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SapphireGypsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010 04:17:39 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I might have to try my hand at a Cerberus logo. for skiing this winter.... although I might have it finished in time for NEXT winter. Cheesy

Did you just lay out the pattern on graph paper?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rinoa1024
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010 07:20:09 PM »

I used knitPro.  Graph paper works equally well.  If you use knitPro, you'll have to clean up the chart that's generated because the edges get "fuzzy" (you'll see what I mean if you try it).  Just print out the chart and color in the stitches with a marker. 

If you decide to knit a beanie with a charted logo on it, make sure you chart the logo so it is stretched a little bit vertically.  I didn't do that when I charted the renegade logo and it ended up looking a little stretched out horizontally when the beanie is worn on the head (it looks normal when the hat is not being worn). 

Please do knit a Cerberus hat!  I'd really like to see it, even if I have to wait a year. Tongue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SapphireGypsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010 07:50:57 PM »

I figured that the Cerberus logo would be easy enough to do, plus I love Miranda so much that I'm going to do a Miranda costume at some point but this just looks like so much fun. Cheesy

I'll make sure to link this project when I get it finished, it was your idea first.

Thanks again for all the info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Body to Your Hair with Beer
How to Grow Your Hair Faster
How to Blow Dry Your Hair Straight
Creative Living With Brit: Mastering The Back Comb
Hair How To: The Beehive
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...