A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Princess Giselle from Enchanted  (Read 1963 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirael
Keeper of the Keys

Degeneration

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 02, 2010 04:44:40 PM »

As Giselle dreamed of a true love's kiss since her childhood, I dreamed of Giselle's charming little blue dress since I saw the movie.  It took a while, as I was busy doing other Projects in the meantime, but I finally got down to business and made the costume.  I finished it this spring and had been waiting in breathless anticipation for Halloween.  And it was just as exciting to wear as I thought it would be!

The dress was a little more complicated than I thought it would be.  I heavily modified an old pattern I had hanging around to make it.  Essentially, the only thing I took out of it was the instructions on how to use elastic for smocking, which I chose to use instead of a zipper, because I had three layers of fabric to go through, not one.

I had three layers of fabric due to magical happenstance (perhaps interference from the evil stepmother?).  I had the base white skirt layer, then the blue dress.  As many of you who have tried to do the dress before have discovered, nobody actually makes bright teal fabric with a non-overwhelming pink floral pattern.  The closest I could get was what I think was actually a real curtain fabric (points for accuracy) - sadly, it was a curtain sheer.  It was completely and utterly sheer, and while diaphanous is a nice look, I really did want to cover myself adequately.  Enchanted was G-rated, after all.  So I found a second layer of teal in a happily opaque fabric that didn't have any pattern on it.  I layered the sheer over the teal to create a sort of custom fabric that came close enough to the movie's fabric to make me happy.

To make the sleeves, I sandwiched a layer of heat-activated bonding fabric (sort of like Wunder Under, but not quite) between the sheer fabric and the teal, which stiffened it up enough that it would actually puff into the puff sleeves instead of flopping.  I then seamed elastic into the sides and tightened it up to puff them properly.

A couple of yards of white lace went into edging the neckline and the slit in the front of the dress, and a few yards of teal ribbon made the waist bow.

For the flowers in my hair and in the bodice, I got a bunch of cheap nylon flowers in the craft store and used wet fabric markers to dye them pink and blue.  I put a large bunch onto a pin so that I could remove it from the bodice for washing.  A lot of the smaller flowers got sewn onto bobby pins for my hair.  The same happened with a few ribbons of teal, white, and pink.  This is the resulting hair, after manic pinning.  I think it looks pretty smack on to her mess of flowers, ribbon, and curls.

I topped it all off with some silver sandals, a curling iron, and a lace parasol I'd had from Venice.

I had a fantastic time!  Nobody could believe I made it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010 08:23:31 PM »

absolutely love it! best part was that you made it! =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
sirael
Keeper of the Keys

Degeneration

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010 12:27:55 PM »

Thank you!  That's very kind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classic Apple Pie Recipe
How to Make Brown Cow Ice Cream Floats with Abigail Breslin
How to Make a No-Bake Oreo Dirt Cake
How to Make Macaroons
How to Make the Topping for Man Catcher Brownies
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...