As Giselle dreamed of a true love's kiss since her childhood, I dreamed of Giselle's charming little blue dress since I saw the movie. It took a while, as I was busy doing other Projects in the meantime, but I finally got down to business and made the costume. I finished it this spring and had been waiting in breathless anticipation for Halloween. And it was just as exciting to wear as I thought it would be!
The dress was a little more complicated than I thought it would be. I heavily modified an old pattern I had hanging around to make it. Essentially, the only thing I took out of it was the instructions on how to use elastic for smocking, which I chose to use instead of a zipper, because I had three layers of fabric to go through, not one.
I had three layers of fabric due to magical happenstance (perhaps interference from the evil stepmother?). I had the base white skirt layer, then the blue dress. As many of you who have tried to do the dress before have discovered, nobody actually makes bright teal fabric with a non-overwhelming pink floral pattern. The closest I could get was what I think was actually
a real curtain fabric (points for accuracy) - sadly, it was a curtain sheer
. It was completely and utterly sheer, and while diaphanous is a nice look, I really did want to cover myself adequately. Enchanted
was G-rated, after all. So I found a second layer of teal in a happily opaque fabric that didn't have any pattern on it. I layered the sheer over the teal to create a sort of custom fabric that came close enough to the movie's fabric to make me happy.
To make the sleeves, I sandwiched a layer of heat-activated bonding fabric (sort of like Wunder Under, but not quite) between the sheer fabric and the teal, which stiffened it up enough that it would actually puff into the puff sleeves instead of flopping. I then seamed elastic into the sides and tightened it up to puff them properly.
A couple of yards of white lace went into edging the neckline and the slit in the front of the dress, and a few yards of teal ribbon made the waist bow.
For the flowers in my hair and in the bodice, I got a bunch of cheap nylon flowers in the craft store and used wet fabric markers to dye them pink and blue. I put a large bunch onto a pin so that I could remove it from the bodice for washing. A lot of the smaller flowers got sewn onto bobby pins for my hair. The same happened with a few ribbons of teal, white, and pink. This is the resulting hair, after manic pinning. I think it looks pretty smack on to her mess of flowers, ribbon, and curls.
I topped it all off with some silver sandals, a curling iron, and a lace parasol I'd had from Venice.
I had a fantastic time! Nobody could believe I made it!