A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Odd Couple: Furby and AstroBoy  (Read 1774 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iggy.boy
« on: November 01, 2010 07:24:55 PM »

In between finishing my boss' collection, sewing a wedding dress, and other custom orders, I managed to whip up these costumes for my BF and I. Of course, our only action shots would be photo-bombed by booze.

I was originally going to be the Captain Olimar (complete with Pikmins) I've been trying to be for the fourth year in a row, but time yet again put it off. I considered not dressing up this year because of my busy schedule until I saw this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=355981.0 by user JessMeg I knew I just had to be a Furby.

12 hours later, I came up with this.

http://bit.ly/ckD0SK Click for larger image.

It's basically a shirt pattern with ears sewn onto a raglan sleeve. I mostly used fur, foam sheets, and Liquid Nails adhesive. Fully lined with a zipper so it's super comfy, minus the glue fumes you inhale as you put it on. I used Styrofoam balls for the eyes and mouth and covered it with craft foam. Eyelashes and sensor are made of card stock. The iris is iron-on transfer over plain white knit fabric stretched over the Styrofoam balls.

The family dog got to it an hour before I had to wear it so I had to replace eyelashes and patch up the mouth which he chewed on. Super Glue to the rescue. I'm also usually thrifty, but I only had two days to whip this up so I ended up spending quite a lot than I intended. $20 for fur and lining, $20 on the foam and glue, and $10 for a package of iron-on transfer.

My BF wanted to be AstroBoy, but I refused to let him walk around in underwear and some boots. So his costume is derived off the new movie made up of a shirt, pants, and a leather armor. The shirt and pants are corded along with some coverstitch details. The armor (not pictured) is enclosed by hidden snaps in the back and it's basically a normal bodice with modified sleeves that are top-stitched on top of the bodice rather than into the bodice. It also has some pretty nice details that the picture doesn't reveal.

I actually finished this in August since he knew from last year that he wanted to be AstroBoy. A yard of leather of each color equals up to $18. The shirt and pants fabric I got from a remnants store adjacent to a large fabric store that charges $2 per pound. A snap kit for $8 and some red lace for his shoes for a dollar. So his costume cost less than $30.

Thanks for looking guys and it's nice to be back on Craftster! Cheesy

EDIT: From my friend's camera.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010 09:13:00 PM by iggy.boy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Songbyrd
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010 09:23:10 PM »

Oooo, so cute ^_^
I can't take my eyes off of that Furby!!
Total awesomeness!
Songbyrd
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010 08:34:57 AM »

these are great - that furby looks spot on, what with the eyelashes and little beak (those things always freaked me out a bit though so i guess perfect for halloween?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010 09:02:53 PM »

The furby face is perfect! I looks like you gutted a giant furby and then put it over you head. Nice Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeathToLems
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010 12:37:11 PM »

BAHAHAHA!! love the furby! thats so awesome. and amazing anyone even remembers them. d'oh i was a fool to think it could learn what you teach it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Website Redefining Shopping For Conscientious Consumers
British Invasion
Objects of Desire: S&M-Inspired Accessories
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014: Front-Row Celebrity Style
Behind the Scenes at the Rebecca Minkoff Spring 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...