A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creating rust stains?  (Read 637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smoke-Z
« on: November 02, 2010 01:30:34 PM »

I just came up with an idea to make a cotton shirt sleeve look like it's had a rusty gear lying on it.  I'd like the image to be fairly clear.  I don't mind if the image itself fades when washing,  but I don't want the image to damage other clothing with contact. 

How would I do this?  What materials would I use for both the template and the transfer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010 09:18:37 AM »

I read a fascinating article on a fabric dyer's blog about how she uses rust in her creative process. Wish I could recall the blogger, but the general gist was that she wraps various iron-based goodies into a piece of natural-material cloth that will eventually become an amazing scarf. I think some she wrapped with string or elastic and others she just loosely "included" in the fabric ball. Then she whipped up a water-bleach mix in a lidded bucket (don't recall her percentages), tossed the fabric ball in there, put a lid on and let it sit in the sun for a few months. The whole point is that the bleach, while it does weaken the fabric, accelerates the rusting process, transferring the iron oxide stains to the fabric. I think she said she got the idea from the fact that Victorian clothing is often rust stained simply from extreme age and she wanted to figure out how to make 100 years of rusting in a couple months.

So, my suggestion is, go to a junkyard and ask the nice mechanic(s) to help you find a big ole rusty gear, pay the whole 5 or 10 bucks they'll want (heck, I've gotten random junkyard goodies for free just by asking), then the fun begins!

I think the best thing to do is pre-soak the gear suspended from a string in a bleach-water mixture to get it more rusty. Then undo the seam under the sleeve and down the side of the shirt so you can lay it flat. Wet the shirt, lay it on a piece of wood, set the rusty gear on the sleeve and walk away. Maybe re-bleach the gear every day and take care to lay it on the shirt the same way. I think after a couple weeks, it'll be a really obvious and mostly permanent rusty gear image on your shirt. Wash the shirt by itself a couple times with some vinegar in the wash water and it should be fine, transfer-wise.

Please note that's allllll conjectural, as I've never done anything even remotely like it! You totally need to share your results Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Condition Long Hair
How to Style Long Hair to Look Short
The Best Haircuts for Long Hair
How to Know When to Cut Long Hair
How to Go from Really Long Hair to Really Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...