A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,352
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Classic Wolverine! (Now with boot cover tutorial in comments)  (Read 10844 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cxcaitlyn
« on: November 02, 2010 10:21:56 AM »

So my mom told me that she was getting a group together for Halloween about two weeks ago, and everyone would be going as superheros. What could I be with such short notice on a college kid's budget?

Wolverine of course!

Wolverine has always been my favorite X-men character because of his general bad-assery. This is the original that I modeled my costume after:

My entire costume was made by hand, except for my eyelashes. The majority of the costume was made using t shirts and cardboard. The black was a shiny miscellaneous fabric I stole from a jacket sleeve.

Here are some in-process pics:

One boot cover completed, halfway through another...you can see the t shirt I used on the left side

Pizza box belt buckle, it's really bright red but the pic doesn't show it.

Top, fitted tank made from a t shirt with appliques. I alternated the pattern of the stripes from the original image to better suit a female figure.

Buckle and one set of claws, pre-paint
I used this tutorial for the claws:http://badgerlala.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Wolverine-Claws-148310493
They worked pretty well but after the second night I wore them the cardboard was getting a little too bendy for my preference, they probably wouldn't have stood up to a third night of use.

Finished covers:

Full Costume:

Back:

Note my boyfriend's attempt at a costume here  Grin:

(Normal people just don't compare to us craftsters!)

I had a blast making this costume, and it was even more fun getting people's reactions in public! A ton of men kept coming up to me and whispering 'WOLVERINE' in my ear...I was like, really is that what I am? I hadn't noticed lol. Someone else told me that I 'won Halloween,' so here's hoping I win this contest as well!

Thank you for your vote, if you vote for me!

(Also, I am more than willing to make a tutorial on any or all aspects of this costume, so feel free to ask if you want to be Wolverine next year!)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010 04:12:03 PM by cxcaitlyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010 04:15:13 PM »

This is awesome!! As much as I love Hugh Jackman, the classic Wolverine is way better. The hubbs got me into watching the original X-Men cartoon, and I love it. I think Gambit is my favorite, (and the Hubbs), so last year for Halloween, he was Gambit, and I was Rogue. (No pictures, because we had the costumes on for like, ten minutes, and then my daughter got sick and we had to go home.)
You did such a great job on this outfit! It's totally awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
ConfusableBlonde
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010 07:05:36 PM »

great job! and for what, like $5 total??? lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010 08:49:51 PM »

Great job, made even better by the materials you used! I love the claws!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NUFFINiCANTdo

the mind is the limit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010 12:37:40 PM »

i love Wolverine and you did a awesome job girlyfing his bad-assery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"you see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. knowing is not enough You must take action." -Anthony Robbins
swinginmartinis
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010 01:12:00 PM »

How fun!  I like your eyelashes too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My candle burns at both ends, it will not last the night.  But oh, my friends, and oh, my foes, it gives a lovely light.

www.swinginmartinis.etsy.com
vermiciousknid
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010 02:36:04 PM »

I would LURRRVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE a tut on how to do those boot tops! They look fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmodxgoddessx
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010 07:50:32 AM »

This should become one of our 'night out on the town' outfits... Definitely cute enough for clubbing! Haha. Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cxcaitlyn
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010 04:11:05 PM »

Thanks for the compliments everyone!! (and yes, it was about $5 lol)

And, at vermiciousknid's request, here's my tutorial for the boot covers:

You need:

One t shirt of the color you desire (non stretchy fabrics probably won't work well with this)
Also, make sure it's big enough width/length wise to fit the height you need.

A sharpie or fabric marker - probably  want to use a washable pen or something if the shirt is lighter colored or thin. My sharpie didn't show through on my regular blue shirt.

Safety pins! You can use regular pins, but do so knowing you'll likely hurt yourself

Scissors, Sewing machine, thread, all that jazz.

I think these took me an hour or so, I don't quite remember but it wasn't too long...

Anyway, on to the instructions.

Step 1: Start with your t shirt flat on the ground. Cut at the dashed line.

(I used the side pieces to make my arm cover things...blanking on what those are called right now  Roll Eyes)

Step 2:Put on the shoe you intend to wear in the costume. And find a comfy chair.

Step 3: Place one of the rectangles you cut from the shirt around your leg/foot.

You will create one seam along the back of the cover, so pin tightly starting at the top. Make sure that the fabric side you want OUT at the end is facing IN at this point. Also try to start pinning from the highest point you want the cover to be on your leg.

Step 4: Pin around the shoe.

Pin tightly to ensure the best fit; we'll address the excess at the ankle in later steps.

Step 5: While the fabric is still pinned to you, trace a line that you will follow when you create the seam. You can skip this step, but I find it's helpful so that you can get the best fit if your pins weren't as accurate as you'd like.

Step 6: Check the fit, etc.

Turn it right side out and try it on over your shoe again. Cut off the excess at the bottom so that the heel will come out (red circle in pic). If it's baggy at the back, turn it inside out again and re-sew. You will find extra fabric where the arrow is pointing, so we turn to the next step.

Step 7: Remove the extra fabric around the ankle.

Turn the cover inside out if you haven't already, and put it back on. While your foot is bent in the position it would be if you were standing, pinch and pin the fabric on the portion where the arrow is pointing. Be sure to pin around the sides so that the seam will be not stick out when the cover is finished.

Step 8: Cut off excess, check fit.

Your inside out cover should look like this. Make any adjustments if there are baggy/saggy portions.

Step 9: Finished!

You now have a perfectly fitted boot cover with subtle seams! Repeat for the other side!

Let me know if you have any questions/confusions! I'd love to see if you use this tutorial  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010 09:13:59 PM »

Okay, you're awesome. I mean, truly awesome. (And Wolverine is my favorite out of the X-Men... I feel like we're kindred since I'm short, too............ Yeah, I'm stretching that here....) Anyway, yep, awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Lightsaber - Shake 4.1
How to Use Multi-Cam - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Use Sprocket Holes - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Understand The Sync Menu - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Understand Transitions - Final Cut Pro 6
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...