A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Terminator (min tutorial - pic obese!!!)  (Read 8198 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2010 09:49:07 PM »

DUN DUN, DUN, DA DUN

My brother-in-law wanted to be The Terminator for Hallowe'en this year, and asked for my help in making a terminator mask-eye-piece costume thingy. We were inspired by Dark Power's terminator. I hadn't done something like that before - though I have done a few interesting things with latex - so there were a lot of firsts with this project! I had the wonderful help of my brother-in-law, his wife, and my husband at various stages.

And now, mini tutorial! If you really want to try doing something like this, plllleeeeaaaasseee see this gallery where are there are more (and higher quality) pics and I go into a lot more detail! Some of the steps can be pretty dangerous so you need to read read read and ask questions!

So! First step was to do a lifecast of his head. I've had a life cast my head done before, this was the first time doing one on someone else.

My husband and I apply a bald cap and vaseline to act as a release agent.

The back half of the head is covered in plaster of paris. Once dry, vaseline is applied to the edge.

Front half is covered! Mind the nose!

Don't make them laugh!

Once the plaster of paris mold was dry, we took off the front and the back pieces and taped them together. Then we set up a mini contraption and poured in Ultra Cal 30 to get a copy of my brother's head.

Ultra Cal copy of his head!

Next my brother-in-law sculpted a terminator 'mask' piece.

I tweaked it "a bit."

Final sculpt

A clay wall is built up around the mask piece for holding in silicone.

Silicone is poured over the mask. First time using silicone!...smelly!

Plaster of paris layers are applied over the silicone mold once it's dried; it'll act as a mothermold, and prevent the silicone from flopping around when you pour in resin.

Resin is poured into the silicone mold, and once dried, we popped it out! First time working with resin...smellier!

Doesn't fit too bad!

Quick layer of silver spraypaint

Spirit gum does not work well with resin, and we didn't just want a latex-skin piece to be the only thing holding the mask on, so I painted a layer of liquid latex on the back of the mask and applied spirit gum to that.

He added the light!

A test run proved to work pretty well! At this point he was happy with it, but I asked to tweak it again and was able to paint some details on it.

And back to the "final" piece! We made a latex skin layer... but alas, he didn't go out for Hallowe'en so we never got any pictures of him in his whole gettup, from mask to latex skin to leather jacket and boots! (Both he and his very pregnant wife weren't feeling too well and weren't up for partying...but next year, he'll have a very awesome costume and hopefully I can ad 'the final' pics to this post!)

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot one thing! We did two resin casts, and cut the mask in two (a jaw piece and an eye piece). We attached them with a piece of latex - so when he talked, the bottom half moved with his jaw!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010 09:52:57 PM by Tatterhood » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011 08:07:02 PM »

I am stalking yyooouuuu!!!! Your work is so great. Can you come over and cast my head sometime? La, awesome...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011 02:53:08 PM »

Gaww thanks!
If you were in the area, (and were serious about it) I'd seriously say yes! But it's easy enough for a friend to do too! The key is just lots and lots of icky, icky vaseline
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011 04:43:18 PM »

Like when we did my preggo belly cast? Eww, that was yucky. Greasy fun good times!

Where are you? I can get to S. Michigan... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011 02:58:12 AM »

Oooh I'm impressed you did a preggo cast (tried to convince my inlaws to make one!) - and of course, more impressed that you even entertain the idea of a head cast. There's a not a lot of people who jump for it, it can be kind of scary.

- that said, to anyone who wants to make a terminator headpiece but doesn't want to do a life cast, you don't have to! you can buy an armature online and I've known people to use foam heads. There are other options! -

Michigan is a littttttle out of my reach, but if you're ever in BC, PM me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011 05:41:57 AM »

Oh, that is exactly where we're from! I do have plans to move back, I'll let you know Cheesy

We did a face cast of my little boy when he was 6 but only used those casting strips, no full face goop. I don't think he would have stayed still for that Tongue
I don't know what to do w the belly cast, it's so fragile. I guess I could fill it with that spray foam stuff and decorate it to hang it up. Best piece of art ever, right? Not as spooky as your borg parts but eye catching just the same!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PunkieVonZombie

Blood, Guts, and Rock and Roll

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011 11:45:12 AM »

thats freaking sweet! I should make my boyfriend make me one! He's a haunted house prop maker..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Diane Ladd’s Southern Japanese Tofu Dish
Give Shrimp Pad Thai a Soba Noodle Twist the Haylie Duff Way
How to Make Sunny Anderson’s Quick Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Here Is a Fantastic Green Bean Tempura Recipe
Quick and Easy Asian Rib Rub Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...