DUN DUN, DUN, DA DUN
My brother-in-law wanted to be The Terminator for Hallowe'en this year, and asked for my help in making a terminator mask-eye-piece costume thingy. We were inspired by Dark Power's terminator
. I hadn't done something like that before - though I have done a few interesting things with latex - so there were a lot of firsts with this project! I had the wonderful help of my brother-in-law, his wife, and my husband at various stages.
And now, mini tutorial! If you really want to try doing something like this, plllleeeeaaaasseee see this gallery
where are there are more (and higher quality) pics and I go into a lot more detail! Some of the steps can be pretty dangerous so you need to read read read and ask questions!
So! First step was to do a lifecast of his head. I've had a life cast my head done before, this was the first time doing one on someone else.
My husband and I apply a bald cap and vaseline to act as a release agent.
The back half of the head is covered in plaster of paris. Once dry, vaseline is applied to the edge.
Front half is covered! Mind the nose!
Don't make them laugh!
Once the plaster of paris mold was dry, we took off the front and the back pieces and taped them together. Then we set up a mini contraption and poured in Ultra Cal 30 to get a copy of my brother's head.
Ultra Cal copy of his head!
Next my brother-in-law sculpted a terminator 'mask' piece.
I tweaked it "a bit."
A clay wall is built up around the mask piece for holding in silicone.
Silicone is poured over the mask. First time using silicone!...smelly!
Plaster of paris layers are applied over the silicone mold once it's dried; it'll act as a mothermold, and prevent the silicone from flopping around when you pour in resin.
Resin is poured into the silicone mold, and once dried, we popped it out! First time working with resin...smellier!
Doesn't fit too bad!
Quick layer of silver spraypaint
Spirit gum does not work well with resin, and we didn't just want a latex-skin piece to be the only thing holding the mask on, so I painted a layer of liquid latex on the back of the mask and applied spirit gum to that.
He added the light!
A test run proved to work pretty well! At this point he was happy with it, but I asked to tweak it again and was able to paint some details on it.
And back to the "final" piece! We made a latex skin layer... but alas, he didn't go out for Hallowe'en so we never got any pictures of him in his whole gettup, from mask to latex skin to leather jacket and boots! (Both he and his very pregnant wife weren't feeling too well and weren't up for partying...but next year, he'll have a very awesome costume and hopefully I can ad 'the final' pics to this post!)
EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot one thing! We did two resin casts, and cut the mask in two (a jaw piece and an eye piece). We attached them with a piece of latex - so when he talked, the bottom half moved with his jaw!