A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,218
Currently Running With Scissors:
860 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wizard of Oz  (Read 1144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

monnie31
« on: September 24, 2010 06:04:27 PM »

We are doing Wizard of Oz Theme this year for Halloween, my son is going to be the tin man but I need an idea of how to do his head, also The witches, my one niece is going to be the wicked witch of the west, we have her costume done, but other than the "good witch" the other 2 witches aren't well televised.  I think the good witch is dresses in a pinkish color, not sure about the others.  My youngest niece is Dorothy, we have her costume and my mother the lion, which we have and my nephew the scare crow which I need ideas on how to do his head. 

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010 06:16:35 PM »

Didn't the tin man wear a funnel on his head?  You could easily make on out of a cardboard food container.  Yes, the good witch is all pinked out with lots of glitter and a really tall hat.  Smiley  Hmmm...I'd say the other two witches are open for interpretation.  Just don't forget the striped socks on the eastern one.  Wink  The witch of the south could be tropical or something.  Dunno.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010 12:58:00 PM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

monnie31
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010 06:27:56 PM »

I have some striped socks and some silver face paint, just need to make him a hat, maybe cover it in tinfoil?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010 10:54:50 AM »

You could glue or sew the raffia to the inside of his hat, so it falls down the sides of his face when he wears it. Gather some material into a ruffled collar with some more raffia and paint his face up!

If you have any thrift stores or "antique" (a.k.a. junk!) stores, you might find an actual old tin funnel to use as Tin Man's hat, just punch a couple holes through the sides and add an elastic chin strap.

The Wikipedia article on Wizard of Oz made an interesting point about Witches East and West. In the scene where Dorothy sees the witch outside her window during the tornado, she's wearing the ruby slippers and technically must be the Witch of the East, even though it's the same woman who plays West. In the film they are portrayed as sisters. Twins, maybe?  Smiley

I couldn't find anything on the South Witch- she could be anything! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
ninjapenguin
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010 04:31:22 PM »

It's fairly easy to find cheap plastic funnels in the kitchen or hardware departments.  Just spray paint it silver and add a chin strap.

Glenda, the Good Witch of the North, wore (in the movie at least) a pink, poofy ball gown with glitter and a very tall, pointy crown (you could make it out of painted cardboard stapled to the right size).  The books should have more details on the witches of the east and south.  I do know that each land had it's own color, although that may only effect the ordinary citizens of the lands (i.e. the Munchkins, Winkies, etc.).

If trying to come up with costumes for the East and South witches is too difficult or obscure, you could always try other characters: flying monkeys, Munchkins, the doorkeeper at the Emerald City, the Wizard, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megchug
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010 03:22:14 PM »

You can find cheap funnels at car supply stores (I bought one recently for 99 cents at Autozone) and just spray paint it silver.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladyj86426
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010 03:29:14 PM »

Cool, at least I am not doing this theme alone. My son Haydon is going to be the scarecrow... I took a regular wide brimmed hat and took some odd fabric i had and tied it around the head and shoved my felt "hay" in there. I have an autistic, epelieptic son, who is darn near allergic to himself, and i didn't want to run the risk of him having an adverse reaction.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/EMTbutterfly/th_CAMERAPICS100510017.jpg
Here is my other son Gilly- whom is going to be the Tin Man... I made his from this pleather material that my mother left behind
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/EMTbutterfly/th_CAMERAPICS100510001.jpg
Tho he wont put on the rest of the costume to get the full effect.

I am going to be glenda the good witch... debating if I wanna throw the Good witch gone Goth in there.... But I started making my crown with two soda bottles... and I have a cocktail dress that I bought off ebay for like $13.00
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010 03:49:08 PM by ladyj86426 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never say good bye, always say see ya later.
ladyj86426
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010 04:03:23 PM »

Today I worked on Glinda's costume.. the good witch...
Frontal View
 http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/EMTbutterfly/th_craftsters007.jpg
Posterial View
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/EMTbutterfly/th_craftsters008.jpg
And the feets
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/EMTbutterfly/th_craftsters009.jpg
What do ya'll think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monnie31
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010 04:15:41 AM »

That's wicked, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladyj86426
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010 05:30:47 PM »

I ended up getting a job the week before halloween, in a home for mentally disabled adults and not being able to wear this...  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find Glass Blowing Classes
How to Find Glass Blowing Jobs
How to Rent a Glass Blowing Studio
Introduction to Glass Blowing
Is Home Glass Blowing Possible
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...