A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 307,973
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cool places in Montreal?  (Read 5511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nicolicious
« on: May 22, 2005 02:27:31 PM »

For vacation this year [july 18-25] my family is taking my boyfriend and I to Montreal. I wanted to find some really neat, cool places to take my boyfriend. I'm thinking good [cheap] restaurants, museums, music shops, craft stores, SEX shops! and BARS.

I'm turning 19 a few weeks before I go and I'll be legal! So, to celebrate, he's going to take me out, but we wanted to find some cool places to go and hang out while we're there.

anything you crafty ladies suggest, I'll be sure to try to check out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gink
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 03:02:31 PM »

Hmmmm. I'm vegan so I can mostly only recommend vegan-friendly restaurants. However, here's the list:
Patati-patata: best burger/fries joint in town. on corner of Rachel and St Laurent. very little sitting room, but you can get a burger, fries, and salad for 5$ (approx)
Aux Vives- all vegan restaurant that serves amazing sandwiches. They've become a little pricier but the serving sizes are enormous, so it's worth it. On St Laurent
Chu Chai- ummm. the most expensive restuarant I go to, but is so, so good. Vegan Thai food. On St. Denis. (Generally, it's around 30$ for 2)
Chez Clo - my fave breakfast joint. Also takes you East, so don't expect the servers to speak english. The buckwheat pancakes (galletes de sarazin) are great, and the meal is always less than 5$. On Ontario near Prefontaine metro.

Montreal is also the center of dollar slice pizza and very, very cheep Lebanese food (think falafel). Unfortunately there's losts of bad falafel. For cheep and good lebanese food, I'd try Bustan (On Cresent off of De Maisonneuve) or Al Tahib- ask for the zatar, and expect to get yelled at if you don't know what you're ordering. (on Guy above De Maisonneuve)

Best music store in town: cheep thrills. Near McGill University (can't remember the street name)

Museums: do some research! if you check the city of Mtl webcite they'll all be there. There's lots of worthy art galleries

Craft Supplies: St Hubert between Jean Talon and Jerry is the 'textiles' area. Three blocks of cheep fabric stores. It's crazy.

My one suggestion of something vital to do is to go to the NFB (Berri UQAM metro) and watch some films. 3$ for an hour, and you can pick any of the thousands of films made by the NFB, and watch the robot arm pick them out for you. It's called the Robotheque. I kid you not.

Hope that helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLea14
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005 03:22:32 PM »

Nicolicious !
Visit www.madeinmtl.com
This site is awsome and you'll find everything you need in there !
When you come back, tell us how it went !!

Jess
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-loki
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005 02:13:59 PM »

oh my god.. chu chai is the best ever! this is the place i miss the most now that i live in toronto. this city has nothing that comes close to chu chai (except maybe veg. haven).

the drinking age in mtl is 18 so you've been legal for close to a year. there are a number of sex shops downtown. there's one on st-catherine just west of st-laurent, i forget what it is called but it is really big.

restaurants.. i like 3 amigos (st-catherine near guy-concordia) for mexican. for indian there is an awesome place on st-denis (west side of the street) just north of sherbrooke, might be called nouveau bombay or something similar. for thai i like bangkok on st-catherine west between atwater and guy. which part of the city will you be staying at? its sort of pointless to recommend restaurants if they'll be completely out of your way. smoked meet at schwartz's (dont where, i am vegan as well!). bagels at st-viateur (street by the same name!) are a must for the tourist!

music shops.. depends what you are looking for. electronic music go to esoterik (1814C St. Catherine Ouest). for punk/hardcore go to soundcentral (2071 st-denis). check out recordstorereview.com for more stores.
bars... again, depends what you like. Roy bar is neat (roy street near st-denis). brutopia, beefteque (spelling),  st-sulpice is allright sometimes. man there are bars all over the city, just ask random people. i dont go to bars so i dont have many good suggestions.

i dont know about museums. i never really went to any of them while i lived there and its a shame. you might want to check out the biodome and the botannical gardens in the east end (by the olympic stadium).

craft stores? no idea. i recently got into sewing so i never tried to find any while i lived there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amandachan
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005 08:15:55 AM »

Thank you so much, CraftyLea14 and all you guys! You rule. I was having a lot of issues finding useful sites for my trip to Montreal. I am going on a research trip with a coworker and we are to bring back products that we think our company could make. I work for a gift and novelty company and there are definitly places on http://www.madeinmtl.com/ that could be great for our search. Thanks again.
If anyone else knows more about Montreal and shopping for kitch, let me know. I am leaving Friday, so I don't have much time.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolicious
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005 08:21:30 AM »

Just beware- some of the places that look totally cool on madeinmtl.com really aren't great.

I was lucky when I went- the just for laughs festival was going on, the african nuits festival was there, the fireworks were going on in old montreal, and the world diving thing was going on too. and I got to see the WORLD PREMIERE OF THE ARISTOCRATS.

oh man. that was cool. but the button shop rix rax was closed!!!! I was looking forward to buying some buttons for my crafty endevors....

other than that, I'll post some pictures that I took when I get them developed, but I really only took pictures of the good graffiti. columus doesn't have bad graf, but I'm always really excited when I see good ones.

have fun on your trip!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
youlittlerabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005 09:07:36 PM »

OH MY GOD!

i am going to montreal soon for the 1st time and i am so happy to have found this thread! thanks everyone- especially gink- i needed to know where to find vegan food!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amandachan
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005 09:49:35 AM »

Yeah Montreal was awesome. There was a live music festival going on last weekend and any event were drinking in the streets is involved, I'm there. Hey there was this one kickass bar off of Sainte-Catherine we dug. It's not a touristy place so you will meet lots of locals. It is called St-Elizabeth @ 1412 Rue Sainte-Elizabeth! How good does this sound!
514-286-4302

Fire in the winter. Terrasse in the summer.
Pub-style
D?tente in daylight. Wild on the 5-7 stretch. Franco-blues and hot jazz down your gullet late into the night, when the long wood bars are leaning-posts for students mingling with the loosened-tie crowd.

The joint is jumpin'
In the summer, leafy trees in the back courtyard canopy the best terrasse in Montreal. It might seem friendly here, but this duplex of debauchery is tucked away on a sidestreet on purpose: to hide the secrets that everybody knows. During American prohibition the Jazz Age was alive and well in Montreal, which was Sin City for American tourists hiding out from teetotallers back home. The famous backyard used to be a stable where patrons could water their horses while they slaked their own thirsts upstairs...  The Ste-Elisabeth building was once Montreal's most venerable bordello. From the 1950s-80s, the space was Montreal's oldest gay bar, the California, hiding in the shadows of the red lights of Ste-Catherine St.

In the business
In the nineties, the building laid bare until two professional barmen decided to open an Olde English Pub on the grounds.
The industry know-how behind the bar shows: the barmen know when to serve up a smile - backed up with a glass of ale on tap and a shooter to chase it with.

Loved it. There is lots of vintage clothing and great kitchy stores. Have fun and check out the site from above.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyfingers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005 10:04:49 AM »

I found this e-guide to be helpful. www.toutmontreal.com/english/ eguide

I am also planning my first trip to montreal, so anyone know what fun stuff is happening there in last september, early october?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
gink
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005 11:35:35 AM »

Pop montreal is Sept 28-Oct 2, and there are a gazillion shows.... so many that you often can't make them all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...