Last year ( I think) I posted in the costume section asking for ideas of what to use. I couldn't find the stuff that I wanted to use, mainly because I wasn't thinking broadly enough. So I ended up being a half-hearted bee (I only had a striped ruffle skirt) but this year I wanted to try the dandelion again. After looking up the suggestions and running around town I started to run out of ideas, but not the desire to make it.
After failing to find balloon sticks (the party store employee looked at me like I was crazy. Isn't the term kind of self-explanatory?) my mom found candy sticks at Michael's. Genius! I painted those brown (from light to dark brown) leaving a white space at the top (mainly so I could hold the sticks while painting). The white space ended up being a great guide for the floofy bit.
Last year I tried shredding and folding single marabou feathers but this year I used marabou feather boas. I used three six foot boas (one is super fluffy and two have little feather spines attached to the yarn. The spine boas were 5 bucks cheaper and they look almost the same as the other one.) I cut little pieces hot glued them to 100 sticks. Cutting them was terrible because ANY time I moved even a little I got a swirl of feathers. I had to vacuum myself before I got up so they weren't all over the house.
I made the hat base out of brown felt. I tried to use a Martha Stewart pattern for an animal hat, you use glue and water to stiffen the fabric stretched over a bowl. But that didn't give it enough structure so I used http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=361109.0
.I mapped out where to put the sticks because I could have easily used 100 sticks on two pieces ( I spaced them too close together at first).
After that I cut and poked small holes and secured the sticks in with lock nut washers and LOTS of hot glue. Definitely too flimsy so I got super duper stiff interfacing at Walmart and cut leftover green fabric for a lining. I just stitched that in with wisp stitches. I also stitched in a piece of bias tape so I could easily carry it when I was tired of wearing it.
The dress is definitely not the focal point of the costume but I used M6028 with dark green and a lighter green cotton. I had to chop almost 5 inches off the dress because it was super frumpy to start with. It ended up being kinda short (by my standards anyway) but I'm still pretty happy with it.
I made a yellow bag out of yellow satin I had from some project. I french seamed it so I wouldn't fall apart but I didn't line it or anything since I really only needed it for one night. I didn't have any go-go boots like the girl on the show and we walked everywhere so I wore my combat-style boots. Didn't really match my brown tights or the costume but I decided I was more of a bad-ass dandelion than a girl-y one.