A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dandelion! Inspired by Pushing Daisies Image heavy!  (Read 3709 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anafelix
« on: November 05, 2010 07:59:48 PM »

Last year ( I think) I posted in the costume section asking for ideas of what to use. I couldn't find the stuff that I wanted to use, mainly because I wasn't thinking broadly enough. So I ended up being a half-hearted bee (I only had a striped ruffle skirt) but this year I wanted to try the dandelion again. After looking up the suggestions and running around town I started to run out of ideas, but not the desire to make it.

After failing to find balloon sticks (the party store employee looked at me like I was crazy. Isn't the term kind of self-explanatory?) my mom found candy sticks at Michael's. Genius! I painted those brown (from light to dark brown) leaving a white space at the top (mainly so I could hold the sticks while painting). The white space ended up being a great guide for the floofy bit.

Last year I tried shredding and folding single marabou feathers but this year I used marabou feather boas. I used three six foot boas (one is super fluffy and two have little feather spines attached to the yarn. The spine boas were 5 bucks cheaper and they look almost the same as the other one.) I cut little pieces hot glued them to 100 sticks. Cutting them was terrible because ANY time I moved even a little I got a swirl of feathers. I had to vacuum myself before I got up so they weren't all over the house.

I made the hat base out of brown felt. I tried to use a Martha Stewart pattern for an animal hat, you use glue and water to stiffen the fabric stretched over a bowl. But that didn't give it enough structure so I used http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=361109.0 .I mapped out where to put the sticks because I could have easily used 100 sticks on two pieces ( I spaced them too close together at first).

After that I cut and poked small holes and secured the sticks in with lock nut washers and LOTS of hot glue. Definitely too flimsy so I got super duper stiff interfacing at Walmart and cut leftover green fabric for a lining. I just stitched that in with wisp stitches. I also stitched in a piece of bias tape so I could easily carry it when I was tired of wearing it.

The dress is definitely not the focal point of the costume but I used M6028 with dark green and a lighter green cotton. I had to chop almost 5 inches off the dress because it was super frumpy to start with. It ended up being kinda short (by my standards anyway) but I'm still pretty happy with it.

I made a yellow bag out of yellow satin I had from some project. I french seamed it so I wouldn't fall apart but I didn't line it or anything since I really only needed it for one night. I didn't have any go-go boots like the girl on the show and we walked everywhere so I wore my combat-style boots. Didn't really match my brown tights or the costume but I decided I was more of a bad-ass dandelion than a girl-y one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010 04:59:56 AM »

That's great!

We don't celebrate halloween in Australia, but the supermarkets are trying to push it. I'm resisting, because we do not need another reason for consumerism!

But, if it was all about crafty costumes like this I'd be all over it. Can we adopt Halloween without all the trick or treating and lollies? Any excuse to dress up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
crazylittlekels
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010 08:25:45 PM »

I love it all! What a great idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
Seeba7
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010 10:34:42 PM »

This is great! I love your dandelion head. Smiley It looks like a mohawk 'kastowe' (pronounced gus-TOE-ay) that men wear while they're dancing. Props. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BijouB
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010 05:00:19 PM »

I loved Pushing Daisies and the dandelion costumes are great. Your dandelion is wonderful! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010 07:00:35 AM »

What a fun costume.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010 12:09:15 PM »

so lovely. I like it a  lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fringing a Cashmere Blanket
Assemble the Perfect Sewing Kit
How to Make Lavender Sachets
How to Create Potted Plant Centerpieces
How to Make a Veneer Lampshade
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...