A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,776
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Princess Yue Inspired WaterTribe Jacket (Pic Heavy):  (Read 2590 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Supermutts
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2010 03:31:40 PM »

I made the coat from the Simplicity 2508 Inspired by Project Runway pattern. Itís actually a nice pattern because it was really simple to construct and there were allot of options to tailor the coat to your personal preference.

The jacket is hand painted on the back with the koi fish (the moon and the ocean spirits) circling each other to reference the Sacred Spring where Yue was given the gift of life. The jacket is also trimmed with some faux fur and pieces of silk brocade that was upcycled from a jacket that I found a few years back.

The coat is made out of quilters flannel suede and lined with cotton and insulated with quilt batting which makes it super warm, but winters here are often in the negative numbers so that is definitely a good thing. The buttons were a nice find online for all of 99Ę, wahoo!

Lining:

Front Brocade Detail:

I was inspired to make this after seeing this beautiful costume: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/262140/
But I didnít want something that I could only wear for Halloween or for a cosplay event so I decided to make a modern take on a WaterTribe jacket with Princess Yue and that costume in mind.

I was going to cut the front in a circle that was shorter than the back but I donít wear skirts and I thought that it would just look strange with a pair of pants so I decided to stick with an even long hem.
My Original Sketches:

Result:

The coat took about a month to make, but I also worked on allot of other projects during that time period so with that and work I could have finished it allot sooner.

Even though itís ridiculously heavy I still love this coat and I am so happy that itís done and it was so much fun for Halloween.

Princess Yue Bethrothal Necklace:

For the bethrothal necklace I found this beautiful button at a local craft store and it reminded me of the pendant on Yueís necklace so I sewed it onto a heavily interfaced chocker made out of my coat material. I needed to interface the fabric because itís a metal button and somewhat heavy so I didnít want it to pull on the fabric. I then used snaps that I fastened to the ends to open and close it.

Bethrothal necklace:

*Thanks to my bestest friend and fellow craftster Graverobbergirl who had to put up with me bugging her for fabric and faux fur opinions for the last month or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." -Captain Mal
graverobbergirl
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010 04:18:02 PM »

It turned out nice!

I love the lining and the koi. And it looks just so darn cozy and warm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010 09:08:00 PM »

Love Avatar, and that's a beautiful coat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

putingtikbalang
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010 02:14:02 AM »

Wow. The lining and the details do it for me.. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~
http://the-hobby-horse.blogspot.com
A crafter and kitcheneer from Manila documents her exploits, experiments, and explosions.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rules for Playing Beer Pong
Playing Beer Pong
No Opponent in Backgammon
Bearing in to Win a Race in Backgammon
Bearing in to Save Gammon in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...