A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 81
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap 44 Discussion thread!  (Read 55887 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LaughingLark
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2010 09:21:59 AM »

it's been winter coat weather here, but definitely no snow yet!

for xmas i'm going to send my SIL a bunch of beading stuff cause she's learning to do seed beads on a loom and was wondering if any of you awesome beaders out there (atsuko, LL) can recommend a really good book for her? ideally something simple to read with pictures (not that she's stupid, english isn't her first language).

I don't do much beading on a loom, but if there are other types of beading she wants to learn, I can probably help. What is her native language? There may be an even better book available that's not in English. My favorite beading book at the moment is in German (It's a wired beading book, though).  

Psuedo- I wonder how it would have worked out with an invisible zipper, if she felt she needed a long opening. Of course, I've never tried to set a zipper in anything super stretchy...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010 09:26:02 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2010 10:19:29 AM »

A zipper would probably also be too heavy for the jersey she picked and an invisible zipper would have been a bitch sewing in. The only way, as I see it, would be to make a steek (is that the right word? I'm not quit sure) and then some light buttons. There might be more options but non that I can think of right now. It mostly frustrates me as she asked me for advice on several other things for it, but not that which was the most severe >_<

On another notice...I'm in the mood for knitting a sweater more. That would make it the 4th this year o.O Only I can't figure out which one to do. Or if it should be fore me or someone else. Oh, the hardship of a knitter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
corduroy cat
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2010 11:39:47 AM »

she's cambodian, but she speaks and reads english fluently. i just figure something with lots of pics! any kind of beading (wire too), she's a fast learner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2010 11:55:10 AM »

I've always been a fan of the Teach Yourself Visually books. Smiley

I haven't done wired beading in forever. Must resist the temptation...no new projects before the New Year...no new projects....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2010 11:55:44 AM »

for those wondering about what I'm planning to do with the yarn scraps you're saving/sent me/sending me, here's what I plan to do with them:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51877.msg2620532#msg2620532
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=145038.msg2413044#msg2413044

Those in the pictures were made by another craftster member but it got me thinking about those little ends and the though just wouldn't go away. I think that the other person uses larger ends but I like knots and the way they look so it will be super scrappy in some areas. Smiley

That idea just would not go away and kept eating at me till I finally did something about it. Smiley

cc- try not your mama's beading. Has great pictures (though most are in black and white) but it's a soft back and I got mine for super cheap on amazon. (less than 10.00) I bet you could find a used one for cheaper if you hunt. There's plenty of time between now and Christmas. Smiley

For those of you with boys I'm wanting to put together a crafting fun box for some cousins 3 of which are boys(though there is one girl too). I'm thinking some washable crayons and lots of paper, perhaps some washable markers too. some sticky felt, and coloring books. But would love some other suggestions. The family just moved out of town and are related to the hubby. I'd like to fill a big flat rate box since they are in the states.
Ideas for things I can get form the dollar store are welcome! I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. Smiley

Also thanks for the suggestions for christmas. The hubs and I decided we'd try baking again. So long as we don't loose power in a freak ice storm again. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2010 01:04:17 PM »

the lazy daisy leafy pattern in various purples and green
These are delphiniums I think. They didn't quite come out right. I had to unpick them once already.

I like the blend of stitches over seams added to embroidered pieces.  Lots of work!
Thanks. The piecing looked, sort of "not pulled together" if you know what I mean, so I embroidered over the seams where it was particularly jarring in an effort to blend it in. I am wondering if I need more of the darker purple rather than the light purple, though. Dark purple beads might give it a lift though.

It has taken a while but in small blocks of time and I have learnt a lot. Three more after this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2010 01:13:53 PM »

Sansa- The crazy patch bad looks wonderful! Great job.

Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2010 01:27:58 PM »

she's cambodian, but she speaks and reads english fluently. i just figure something with lots of pics! any kind of beading (wire too), she's a fast learner.
Hmm, why not put together your own book from sites on the web?  LL is the master of searching for great beading sites via Google.  I think she even has a thread on Craftsters somewhere telling you what words to use.

Eliea, your box of goodies sounds fun.  Maybe they'd like your sock monkeys...maybe make it a kit so they can have fun putting it together.  Smiley

Great bag Sansa!  It's wonderful how you keep pushing to learn new things.  Despite all the talk I haven't tried spinning yet.  Sad

Today was great!  JoAnn's!!!  Smiley  I got my fleece and patterns.  I'll be reading over my Blythe patterns and seeing if there are any that I can make.  If not I'll go back to my tried and true patterns.  Smiley  I also splurged and got some kawaii fabric online.  I can hardly wait to sew some dolly clothes.  But first I must work on Lana's Christmas present.  I'm also going to make some simple Aranzi Aronzo dolls for my nieces.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2010 02:00:19 PM »

Wonderful crazy quilting and embroidery, Sansa! I love it! Maybe that corner would be a good spot for a little shisha/sequin embroidered element, or a spiral?

Oh, and I posed as a "face painter" yesterday at a fundraiser/festival for the animal rescue group I volunteer with, since the scheduled face painter canceled at the last minute. Never mind that I've never done face painting or used that kind of paint in my life.  Cheesy I guess it was better than nothing; fortunately only a couple people requested my shoddy services.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010 02:10:59 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2010 02:38:30 PM »

Sansa - I love the crazy quilt style and the embroidery you did makes it so beautiful and really adds another layer to the overall effect!

I've taken a break from crafting for swaps this weekend to do some work in my sketchbook for my life drawing class. I surprise myself with how much I've accomplished in the first half of the semester, and even though the teacher is still rather intimidating I am excited (when not exhausted) to finish with a bang.  Smiley

Trying to think of some fun things to offer in my shop...anyone have any requests?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 81 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
ReShonda Tate Billingsley Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Suzy Welch Reveals Who She Admires Most
Mark Bittman Reveals His Greatest Achievement
Suzy Welch Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Holly Black Interviews Cassandra Clare
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...