A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skull Kid, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask  (Read 3764 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

choleblack
« on: November 01, 2010 09:11:39 PM »

My 10 yr old DD is a huge video game fanatic. Her favorite series is, obviously, Legend of Zelda. When asked what she wanted to be for Halloween, she knew exactly, Skull Kid from Majora's Mask. For those of you that aren't Zelda obsessed (or blessed to live with someone who is Cheesy ) here is a description of the character

"Skull Kid really made a name for himself in the sequel, Majora's Mask. In that adventure, the Kid is introduced to us as both villain and victim he's corrupted by the sinister magic of the titular Mask and threatens to destroy the land of Termina."

This turned into a joint family project, with DD working with either myself or her father on our respective parts. All told it took about a week of afternoons to complete.

DD & her dad were in charge of the mask (with some "ideas" from me). The mask is papermache and acrylic paints. It was built over a Mylar heart shaped balloon. The spikes are cut off ends from birthday hats glued in place. We mounted the finished mask to the support from a welding mask. This worked really well & was very stable.

However, we forgot to plan for eye holes & the mask was just TOO COOL to cut into! So she ended up carrying it more than wearing it. We also didn't account for the welding helmet when I made the hat, but she ended up being able to wear it under the helmet. It's just too small to be really noticeable, especially compaired to that awesome mask!

Not bad compaired to our inspiration image!

I was in charge of the clothes, but DD did most of the cutting & even a bit of the sewing on the tunic. The tunic is quilters cotton, the rest fleece. Both have a mottled color pallet which DD says "looked like the woods with light in the trees."

I'm really proud of the shoes although I'm not sure why she told me to make them green instead of orange  Huh I made over sized socks and altered the toes to give them an elf like point. To give them soles, I slipped a pair of old flip-flops inside. All DD had to do was put her foot into the flip-flop and they were both solid & secure for miles of Trick-or-Treating.

She had a great time working on this costume & is already planning which of the Zelda masks she wants to make next! Getting stopped by another video game fan at the Farmers Market and being told she had "the COOLEST costume ever!" was the highlight of her weekend Cheesy

Thanks for looking.

Chole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010 10:08:06 PM »

I love it! Great costume and an awesome game!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010 05:43:11 AM »

Great costume! It looks so cute! Great character choice too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krzma13
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010 07:44:02 AM »

I got so excited when I was scrolling through the pictures!! I knew right away that it was skull kid! Great execution and great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind ~ Dr. Seuss *
mclied
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010 01:41:21 PM »

I love how true the costume is to the original!  Awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

choleblack
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010 10:30:34 AM »

Thanks everyone. DD *really* loves this costume. She's been wearing the tunic since Saturday. Just can't get her to take it off! We've been talking of going to a Con now too, since she's enjoying dressing up so much & it would be a good excuse to make & wear costumes more. This is how it all starts right, mwahhahaha Cheesy

Chole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quitekate
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010 05:28:53 AM »

I love it!  Such a good costume - so like the original character.

We had the same eyehole issue when I made a Keaton for my husband for last New Year.  Turned out good though - http://www.flickr.com/photos/quitekate/sets/72157623113157510/

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Soft Waves Without Heat
Beard Transplant: New Fashion Craze? Really?
Nicole Richie Dyes Her Hair Purple
Ashish Fall 2014 London Fashion Week
How to Style Wavy Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...