A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,585
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ZIP in SKIPPING BAG A.S.A.P. ????  (Read 1928 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zizibee
« on: May 22, 2005 01:52:17 PM »

Hi,

I have made a couple of skipping bags and ended up giving them away as i didn't feel comfy with the idea of the bag being half opened Undecided....Can anyone give me instructions how to solve it? I used magnetic clips but i would love a zip-i'm a zipper type...lol.

Any tips are appreciated!

zizibee Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005 09:03:53 PM »

ok, so I live in the middle of nowhere and watch way too much Law & Order....so I need some help.  What is a Skipping Bag?  Wish I could help instead of asking for more help!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005 09:31:34 PM »

I also have no idea what a skipping bag is, and am quite curious. However, there's a tutorial around here on how to put a zipper in a Jordy bag (a simple purse style) that might help. Search for zipper and jordy in the search box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
zizibee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005 02:58:48 PM »

Hi,

Here is the link!:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=12104.0

I think the whole method of making this bag is different fromthe Jordy......help me out on this one Huh Huh

zizi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muchachaK
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005 06:37:56 PM »

The simplest way would be to pin a zipper into the top seams of the bag before you sew them shut, then sew the top seams together, securing the zipper in place.  This would leave a small open spot at the ends, but I have seen many bags with tops like this.  And if the zipper is the same length as the opening at the top of the bag this shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

You could also put a messenger style flap across the top--not a zipper, but may accomplish the same goal of having more privacy for the innards of you bag.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
medea
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005 10:33:22 AM »

This i DO know!

it's a bit tricky but can be done!

It's in the lining:  cut it as a rectangle about an inch shorter than the sides of the bag. Then cut the straps with the attached area that goes around the bag. Remember to add seam allowances. It will be in this line that your zipper will be inserted.  Like the yoke interfacing on a blouse... :/

Then you sandwich the zipper between these two layers of lining, as if it were a aregular bag. You'll have the skipping bag with a flat zipper on it, but from the outside it'll look rounded like it's supposed to.  That way you'll have the ends of the zipper enclosed in the fabric.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
medea
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005 12:17:43 PM »

Here is a small paintpad tute I made for the skipping bag. Any modifications can be made: if you don't like the idea of a seam right on the strap, make the strap separately and then you'd have 3 pieces for the lining: the strap, the upper curvy part and the bottom rectangle. The outside can be made just on the regular pattern. When you have the purse zipped  closed, you'll see the zipper teeth (though you can make a flap that covers them if you prefer, and add it to the zipper sandwich over the teeth) and the lining that is over the zip, so you could make the bottom lining in a different contrasting fabric.

1. I made a different pattern for the lining and main fabric because it is easier to stick zippers on flat, separate pieces of fabric, but with some experience you wouldn't have to place the seam on the end of the zipper, but on the middle of the side.  Remember to add seam allowances on the vertical seam that runs through the strap and on the part where the two linings join with the zipper.
2. Cut the pieces: 2 main body, 2 upper lining, 2 inferior lining and 1 bottom rectangle of the main fabric and 1 bottom rectangle from the lining. 

3. Make a zipper sandwich: upper lining right side up, zipper with the teeth facing the upper lining and the bottom lining over that. Match the fabric edges with the zipper tape, open the zipper  and sew with the zipper foot. Make a zipper sandwich with the other parts of the lining and sew it as well. Buy the zipper longer than you need it. Then when you sew it, sew the bottom (where the zip is joined together) first, and after you sew the bag you can trim the edges off. You'll now have the two pieces of fabric joined by the zipper that is stuck between the upper and lower linings. You should be able to zip it closed at this point. With the zipper closed, the right sides of the fabric should be together and sew both sides closed. NOTE: make sure the zipper pull is INSIDE the bag. Cut off the excess zipper tape.

4. reopen the zipper and proceed as you would with a bag with no zippers.

Listo!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011 12:09:58 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006 08:28:44 PM »

i did it! i made a zippered skipping bag. hope this helps...

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=66512.0

cheers : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tissue Flowers
How to Make a Bag Out of Paper
How to Make a Felted Fabric Sandwich
How to Create a Memory Map Board
How to Sew a Purse Organizer
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...