A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YMCA "Feely" Haunted Mansion  (Read 692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sminto
« on: October 31, 2010 03:43:10 PM »

I work at the YMCA with the after school kiddos, and this is what we made for the annual Halloween at the Y (like a fair). We used my old bookshelf as the base. We then figured out the cardboard part of it, figuring out where we wanted our windows, and cut that out. We put the cardboard on the bookshelf with the black fabric sandwiched inbetween and were able to figure out where the "curtains" would have to made in the fabric. We used a white crayon and then made the appropriate slits. Essentially it was the bookshelf, the fabric with slits, and then the cardboard on top that we decorated with butcher paper.

The kids decorated nearly the entire thing. They also made their own tombstones that we put off to the side to be the cemetary that was next door to the house. In each window, you could stick your hand in it, and then there was a shoebox (taped down) with the following: ghost slime (goo we made = equal parts of liquid glue and liquid starch), Frankenstein's brain (steamed cauliflower with oil), werewolf eye balls (large grapes that were at room temperature with oil), graveyard dirt (sand in floral section of walmart), and live worms (cooked spaghetti). Each window was labeled with a wooden looking sign.

The kids that attended the fair got a kick out of it. I sat right next to it and would talk the children through each one, counting their fingers beforehand and asking them to keep it that way, lol. I'd also randomly scream when the kids had their hand inside one of the boxes, that was funny.

All in all, it took a lot of time to get the base together, the cardboard and fabric to align and what not, but it was well worth it. The Haunted Mansion was hit at the festival. Not seen in this picture, we added a wooden sign that the school's name on it and lots of spider web. You can also see our tree... laying in the front yard.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Check out my blog, Scissors and a Whisk!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010 08:22:25 AM »

Aww! That's a great haunted house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sminto
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010 09:34:02 AM »

Aww! That's a great haunted house.

Thank you! I just wish I had taken a picture of the kids actually using it and/or what it looked like once EVERYTHING was on it! Oh well, ya live and learn Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Check out my blog, Scissors and a Whisk!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anna Sui - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
BEAUTY BUZZ: Creatures of the Wind Spring 2014
How to Make Your Eyes Look Brighter
Jamberry Nail Wrap Review: How to Get a Fabulous Manicure at Home
Exclusive: Emmy Rossum Spills Hair and Beauty Secrets
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...