A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first hat! With a tute!  (Read 1802 times)
Tags for this thread: cap , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SanDorfALot
SanDorfALot

Chaotic Good

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2010 02:23:18 PM »

Here's some images, and the tute is below. Its my first tutorial and I didn't take any progress pics, so I hope its helpful!

Step 1:
Measure your head, add a couple of inches for seams and such, and divide by 4. Cut the fabric into 4 triangle shaped pieces with a slightly circular bottom, this will be the main part of the hat.

Step 2:
Take the first 2 triangles and flip them inside out, line them up, bottom, and then top, and pin together so it starts to form a circular shape. Sew.

Step 3:
Take the next piece of triangle and sew in the matter you did before. Do this with the 4th piece, and then pin and sew to the first piece. You've complete the hat part!

Step 4:
Measure around the hat to see what the circumference is. Take this measurement, and cut a strip of fabric about 6" high and however wide (mine was 33 inches) and then flip it inside out, sew it into a tube. I did this for ease. Sew seams on one end, because my measurement was a bit off and I had to cut and resew for the final seam.

Step 5:
Decide what part to be the back of the hat, and start there, at the beginning of one of the triangles. Pin around the triangle, and sew. Move the fabric up, pin around the second triangle and sew. Continue until you are all the way around. If you know of an easier way, do it, because I was just guessing!

Step 6:
Cut out a brim, if you want to add one, on two pieces of fabric. Flip them inside out, sew one side. Cut out a piece of cardboard, or whatever is preferred, and put it inside the brim.

Step 7:
Attach the brim to the hat. Pin it up so it looks to your liking, and then sew away. Remember what part is the front and back, you'll want it on the front.

Step 8:
Extra. If you want, put a button on the top and sew it on really well to complete the top circle. If not, just finish the top by hand.

Thanks! C&C welcome. Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twice the mayham, triple the force, ten times the action: total hardcore.
CraftasaurusRex
bohemiancupcakes:)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010 03:59:50 PM »

that's an epic hat!! im so glad you made a tute Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SanDorfALot
SanDorfALot

Chaotic Good

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010 06:19:00 AM »

Thanks so much!!
No problem. Smiley I had fun making it and I'm definitely going to try other hat making techniques and post them here as well!
I love hats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twice the mayham, triple the force, ten times the action: total hardcore.
CraftasaurusRex
konex27
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010 05:31:28 AM »

It's kind of like a cyclist's cap. I really want to start making hats (as part of my no-I-really-don't-need-to-buy-any-more-new-clothing initiative), and this looks like something I might actually be able to do :p

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen’s Smoky, Bronze Eyes
Product Review: Glamoflauge Concealer by Hard Candy
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Of The Week
How To Create An Ombre Lip
Summer Makeup Tricks to Beat the Heat
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...