A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
806 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Retro Christmas Rag Quilt  (Read 1254 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2010 01:28:12 PM »

I've made a few quilts in my time, but never a rag quilt before.  I fell in love with these flannel "retro" Christmas prints when I was in Lancaster, PA over the summer, but didn't purchase them.  Recently, I was poking around on Fabric.com (finally buying my Amy Butler Weekender bag pattern!) and since I needed to spend another $20 or so to qualify for free shipping, I went ahead and bought those flannels.  What better way to use a bunch of flannels then with a rag quilt!  I did a little google-ing to research how to make one (who knew the back was cut up into squares too?) and then went to town.

Finished product, just so a nice picture shows up in the thumbnail...

All my squares neatly stacked up:

A sampling of the prints:

Obligitory "cat in the shot" picture---he's lying on it after it was all pinned---ouch!

"This quilt is mine!  Allllll mine!"

After pinning, sewing, snipping (and lots of it---ugh my hands hurt!) and three runs through the washing machine, I deemed it sufficiently ragged.  I took it outside (on a blustery day) to photograph it, and here's my results!

My favorite picture:

The back---I ran out of squares for the back, so I used leftover squares from the front and ran them down the center.

Another cool picture--it really shows off the rag seams

All in all, I'm really happy with how it came out.  It was much more work then I had thought, but its the perfect sized lap quilt, very snuggly, and festive without being overly "Christmas".  I love how the colors are un-traditional, but still very cheery!

More "in progress" pictures on my blog:
http://sewin2disney.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/rag-time-christmas-quilt/

C&C welcome!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010 01:45:41 PM by SewIn2Disney - Reason: two pictures were sized wrong! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010 01:52:16 PM »

I love those prints! I would've had a hard time turning those down. They remind me of the original, cartoon version of 'How The Grinch Stole Christmas'. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
JoAngel32
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010 07:46:48 PM »

Beautiful!  I'm taking a quilting class at Joann Fabrics in a couple weeks.  Hopefully will make something beautiful like this!  Love the patterns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rvladams
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010 07:06:51 AM »

Those flannels are so cheerful, and I LOVE your rag quilt--one of the nicest I have seen!  What tutorial did you use to make the quilt?  I've found several online, but I am a very new quilter (read: still working on my first quilt) and will need good instructions to come out with a rag quilt anything like this nice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewIn2Disney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010 01:22:15 PM »

Thanks everyone!
The sewing isn't the hard part--if you can sew a straight seam, you'll be fine---it's the laying out and allll the clipping.
As far as the tutorial, I typed in "Rag Quilt" in Google---and I just read the first 3 or 4 links that popped up to get an idea of what to do.  I never like to follow just one tutorial, because you can learn so much (little tidbits and stuff) from different people's point of view.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swapshop
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010 03:34:24 PM »

loving the colours.. how did you get on with the washing to make the raggy edges fray?     ... a word of caution i broke my washing machine and flooded my kitchen - clogged it up with fluff!! Undecided

they are fun to do tho and a different type of quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MisterChris
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010 08:45:12 PM »

These are really great fabrics!!  I think they work great with the rag quilt and are a fun take on Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewingmum
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010 08:50:27 AM »

love the rag quilt effect and the fabrics are simply gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewIn2Disney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010 07:29:42 AM »

loving the colours.. how did you get on with the washing to make the raggy edges fray?     ... a word of caution i broke my washing machine and flooded my kitchen - clogged it up with fluff!! Undecided

they are fun to do tho and a different type of quilt!

I read online that several people suggested bringing your quilt to a laundrymat to wash, but I did it at home, with a few pieces of clothing to agitate it, and I stopped it often to clean out the "fluff".  When it was done washing, I shook it outside, put it in the dryer, again checking it to clean out the fluff, and shaking it out many times during the drying process.  I did it with 3 loads of laundry (the strings do get on your other clothes, but I shook them outside before I hung them on the line, and then a quick tumble in the dryer took care of any leftover strings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010 01:58:02 PM »

This is so, so, so cute!!  I love it.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Patriotic Picnic Basket Ideas for the 4th of July
Zingy Lemon Cake Recipe
How to Make a Hot Turkey Sandwich with Teriyaki Mushrooms
How to Make Perfect Baked Eggs
How to Make Turkey Chili
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...