A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern Testing?  (Read 682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

phantasmafreud
« on: October 31, 2010 11:22:04 AM »

Well, I've been thinking of following the etsy trend and putting some my patterns up for sale as I get requests for them every so often. Problem is, my patterns have never been tested, and I have no idea what the typical procedure for getting them tested even is. Should I be finding someone I know personally to have test them (which I don't have by the way, hence my problem), or do I find people online to do it? Also, is money involved in any way, because I can't afford to pay anyone (kind of why I want the etsy). What should I do? Thanks in advance for any replies!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010 11:28:43 AM »

I'm not sure if there's an official' way to test patterns, I would just find someone online and ask them to test the pattern. That way you'll get an honest opinion about whether the pattern is easy to follow or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
kylie

My craftyish blog http://somthinsomthin.tumblr.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010 12:07:33 PM »

I would just put it on here - have a picture of what you are going to sell and say 3 (or however many)  pattern testers wanted and away you go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Subscribe to my blog - http://somthinsomthin.tumblr.com/
crafty01_87

I make awesome stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010 12:33:42 PM »

I would just put it on here - have a picture of what you are going to sell and say 3 (or however many)  pattern testers wanted and away you go.

Yeah that's how I have seen a lot of people get pattern testers. They you PM the pattern to them. Make sure you put on the pattern that it is for personal use only, no selling it to others or selling the finished product to others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is not being afraid to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Scott Adams
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010 12:35:37 PM »

Post your pattern testing requests here in the Discussion and Questions board.  

In your subject line, please be specific as to what the pattern is (amigurumi, shawl, hat, etc).

In the body of the message, try to post a picture, also say how many testers you're looking for, and anything else that might be pertinent (what level the pattern is, if you need them to use a specific yarn, if the pattern requires special knowledge or tools, such as tunisian crochet, if you're on a specific timeline, etc).

Once you have all of the testers you need, please change the title of your post to reflect that.

Have people PM you if they are interested and keep your discussions about the pattern testing private.  

Also, avoid mentioning that the pattern will eventually be available for sale.  Put your etsy shop url in your signature and anyone who is interested in your patterns will look there first.  Mentioning the shop or that you're selling the pattern in a post will lead to that post being sent to Limbo to be edited.

The pattern testers I've had helping me seem to be happy to do it in exchange for getting the pattern for free.  From what I've seen, this is a common arrangement for independent designers.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010 12:36:56 PM by fantasticmio - Reason: I can has spelling? » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kylie

My craftyish blog http://somthinsomthin.tumblr.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010 12:54:05 PM »

I withdraw my answer and bow to the superior in depth answer of fantasticmio!!! Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Subscribe to my blog - http://somthinsomthin.tumblr.com/
phantasmafreud
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010 09:47:35 AM »

Just read this the other day right before I went to work, and just realized now that I forgot to comment then. /faceplam

Thank you so much for the help! Especially fantasticmio!!!  Grin

I suppose I'll put some up soon then, as soon as I get through the very tedious task of typing them up.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010 09:53:24 AM »

I suppose I'll put some up soon then, as soon as I get through the very tedious task of typing them up.  Undecided

Heh, I know exactly what you mean here!  Sometimes, when I'm writing up a pattern, I think, "Uhg! Just do what I did!!!"  I think it might be simpler just to travel the world, visiting people and showing them in person. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Origami Rose
How to Create an Origami Frog
How to Create Origami Boxes
How to Create an Origami Boat
Meet Origami Artist Alan Cernak
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...