A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly Big Jumpers Into Super Cute Girlie Cardigans!! (PIC HEAVY AVEC TUTORIAL!)  (Read 15805 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , sweater_recon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« on: October 30, 2010 01:48:25 AM »

I've gone recon mad recently - ever since I finished up a consignment of dresses for work, I've been at a loose end!! :S I bought a few huge jumpers from a charity shop the other day and thought it would be fun to have a go at making some cardigans. I love cardis so much, but I'm not about to spend 20+ on one!

I managed to make two of them in a day.  Total cost for the two = 7. WIN.

BEFORE:

A huge men's jumper. Not flattering at all.

AFTER:

A slim-fitting cardigan that I can wear.

But here's one I did that has a patch on it, using the smallest zigzag stitch on the machine. I'm well proud of my stitching prowess. Smiley

My boyfriend saw the pink one and thought I bought it in a shop. Wink I think I might get onto making more of these - can neve have too many pieces of knitwear in your wardrobe. Cheesy

-x-

I was asked kindly for a tutorial for the recon - luckliy, I managed to take photos of the process...so here we go! Smiley

1) Take a shapeless jumper - could be any size, any style that you wish. I chose a guy's round neck jumper. That way, I know I can always take it into my measurements. Smiley

2) Cut out the slevees OUTSIDE the seam - the armhole will be a bit big afterward. But that's okay - you'll be taking the jumper in a second.

.....so you should have something looking like this:

3) Sweet. Now turn the jumper inside out and mark from the armhole where you want to stitch. What I would suggest is to to measure the jumper first, then your chest so you know how many inches need to come off the jumper.

EXAMPLE - the jumper had a 40" chest and I have a 38" chest...so I marked half an inch off each side. (but that's my personal preference.)

4) Stitch the sides of the jumper and cut off the remaining fabric.

5) Measure the chest area of the jumper lying flat to find the centre.

Mark a staggered line down the middle and cut.

6) At this time, I took up the bottom hem of the jumper because it would have ended up being too long. Smiley

7) INTERFACING - At this point, if you wish to use some kind of fabric bias binding/interfacing, you may. But I found it a bit time consuming, so I opted for the easy option. Tongue I used a zigzag stitch along the centre to keep it from fraying. Turn the centre inside the jumper about 3/4 of an inch, pin, and stitch (VERY SLOWLY!!) along the zigzaged hem. Repeat on the other side.

Cool SLEEVES - Since the sleeves are going to be slightly bigger since you have taken in the jumper, mark the armpit of the sleeve roughly to the new armhole of the jumper.

Sew and taper slightly along the hem. Repeat with the other sleeve. If you taper the sleeve too much, you won't be able to fit your arm through!!

9) Attatch the newly stitched sleeve to the armhole with pins - make sure that they match. If one is too big or too small, go back and take in the seams so that they match. (This has happened to me so many times, you have no idea! lol)

Stitch them together and repeat for the other armhole.

10) Hopefully, your cardi up to this point should look like this:

Now is the time to try it on and see how it fits...and sort out any other sizing issues. Smiley

11) Now, to sort out the buttons and buttonholes. I used about 10 buttons for this cardi and measured 2.5" between each button space. 

Sew on the buttons.

12) The most time-consuming bit - buttonholes. My sewing machine did not want to know about buttonholes, so I decided to do them by hand. :| Lay the cardigan flat to measure where you want the holes to go in accordance to the buttons. Snip tiny holes (the knit fabric will stretch to make a slightly bigger hole) and make sure the buttons will fit through. Then start hand stitching - use whatever style stitch you wish.

13) Clean up random thread and cut any excess fabric that may be on the cardigan....et voila!! You got yourself a brand new cardigan that you can wear right away!!

Add patches, applique, badges...ect. to customise. Smiley

It's not as daunting as it may sound - it took me a couple of hours to do one. But as with most (all) crafty things, it's all about trial and error. Smiley I messed up my first ever jumper/cardi recon....but decided to give it a go yesterday and am very happy with the results.  If anyone has questions, please don't hesitate to ask!! Knowing me, I'm sure I probably left something out. heehee...

Good luck and happy crafting!! Cheesy -x-

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010 05:37:09 AM by TeenageRebelOfTheWeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org. uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
raylene

Crafting on a tiny island...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010 04:05:41 AM »

I have the same problem too! I can't stomach paying 20+ euro for a simple, plain cardigan! Is there any chance of a tutorial for this?? i love your idea =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010 04:40:13 AM »

Hey Raylene - I'd be more than happy to sort out a tutorial for you. Smiley I think if you sort out a snazzy applique/patch, it'll look just as good as a store-bought one. *but better because it's made to your specs.* Cheesy -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, therefore I am.

karentopaz
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010 04:43:59 AM »

These are both really pretty.  Was it difficult to do the buttonholes on the knit fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010 04:57:24 AM »

It was and it wasn't - I thought it was going to be a nightmare, but I ended up doing the buttonholes by hand. That part was probably the most fiddlely bit of the whole thing. Tongue -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, therefore I am.

louhi
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010 08:54:56 AM »

I love these. Thank you for the tut and the inspiration! Great job! The patch is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010 10:28:11 AM »

Impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
raylene

Crafting on a tiny island...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010 11:35:33 PM »

Thanks for the tute!!! Now I must go look for a jumper to convert Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkDaisy
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010 09:19:15 AM »

I love this!  Grin I'm cardigan-obsessed but have trouble finding cute ones that aren't expensive. I might have to try this.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Jewelry/Plus Size Clothing Etsy:  http://etsy.com/shop/alibuttonsdesigns

My fatshion blog: http://alibuttons.blogspot.com/
TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010 01:44:12 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments - you guys rock. Smiley I thought it was going to a pain in the butt to make a cardigan, but I found it very easy to do. If I can do it, anyone can!! Tongue -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, therefore I am.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Jessie J Makeup Look
Special Occasion Makeup Tutorial
How to Get Fresh Summer Skin
Kristen Stewart Makeup Look
How to Get the Perfect Brows for Your Face Shape
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...