A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: L4D2 Rochelle  (Read 6305 times)
Tags for this thread: left_4_dead , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hilarei
« on: October 29, 2010 07:19:42 PM »

inspired by a recent addiction to zombie killing, i decided to dress as Rochelle from Left 4 Dead 2.  found a plastic machete for $3.  a belt and pants at goodwill. stenciled the Depeche Mode pic on a pink T-shirt. (giant men's shirt cut down to fit using another shirt as a pattern).  

and made a health kit.  it became more detailed as i wanted to make it something i could actually use.  

i modified it with a zipper instead of strap on the top. opens to main compartment, with pocket on the back panel.

each front zip goes to a separate pocket, which overlaps underneath, enclosed lining

two side pockets

http://a.yfrog.com/img214/4404/leftpockets.jpg

hand painted around outlined letters and cross on front (took FOREVER!), and a strap on bottom.  recycled straps, foam for back panel, and main (double open) zipper.  enclosed seams with biased tape. lots of interfacing to keep it's shape.

blurry action Rochelle (with baby Donnie Darko)

"nothing to see. no health kit here"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013 09:22:45 AM by meleriffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
emily_pebbily
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010 06:11:52 PM »

I love Left 4 Dead!  Good job!  That health kit looks awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellybean89
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ravenclaw :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010 11:17:04 AM »

I agree - the health kit is awesome! Cheesy
Did you make the stencil for your shirt? It looks really good Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hilarei
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010 01:01:17 AM »

thanks guys!  (sorry i was mia for a bit)

i was pretty surprised/impressed with how the health kit turned out myself.  i planned a ton, and made a couple practice.  and hand painted...so time-consuming.

the shirt was a stencil job.  a lengthy image search led to that image exactly as it was on rochelle's shirt, instead of the actual DM promo shot.   i had 3 different print outs cutting out different sections to get all those "floating" inkless spots.  the letters bled a ton when i stenciled. so lots of retouching by hand there, too.  very worth it though.

thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010 02:15:09 PM »

Love it! You did an awesome job, especially on that stencil!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DearBluebird

Make ALL the things!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011 04:03:25 AM »

The left 4 dead games are my favorite games for our xbox. I always play as Rochelle. You did a great job. Love the health pack!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mercele
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011 06:17:07 PM »

That's so incredibly well done. :v I recently bought L4D2, and me and my boyfriend have been playing it nonstop.

But I was wondering what the dimensions of the pack are? I'd love to try making my own, but I don't know what size zippers to buy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hilarei
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011 05:16:41 AM »

yeah, l4d and l4d2 are pretty much all i play.  played some halo for a bit, and a couple other, but i always return to l4d Smiley 

mine health kit is 7w x 9hx 3.5d.  before i made mine i did find some old etsy listing where someone had made theirs 8w x 10h.... i'm pretty short, so this fit me more.  the two front zippers are 7in, closed bottom. the side zippers are also, but i had to trim them to fit the pocket...so they are about 3in. the top/main zipper i ripped out of an old backpack.  it is the double open zipper. it runs from one corner, along the top, and a little less than half way down the side, 11 inches if i remember right...   there is also a piece of plastic-y coated foam that i ripped out of the old backpack. it is sewn in between the outer panel, and the inner panel with pocket to help give the bag shape and support.

i actually wrote out my pattern. i made a few practice ones to try to get the size right, and wrote down my steps as i practiced and figured out better ways to sew things, and proper order.  if you're interested i could try to transfer it to the computer....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faerie_queene
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011 06:19:44 AM »

Wow. I am actually having a problem thinking of what to say because no matter what I say it will not grasp the sheer awesomeness of your outfit and the attention to detail that it all contains. I am soooo jealous yet inspired by your outfit, thank you for sharing it with us all.

ps. I may make the medi kit bag for myself to keep my house hold medical items in, it's just that amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~+~* Bazzinga *~+~*
hilarei
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011 11:59:33 AM »

thank you!!  i was pretty stoked with how well it turned out.  it's always nice when a project turns out JUST how you want it. the stencil was a little scary, being my first stencil ever...and there were lots of small details.   i'm very glad to be able to inspire others, as well. 

the one that i found on etsy was filled with actual first aid items, which was cool.  i use mine as a purse.  got a compliment, and an awkward interaction Tongue 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Plates
How to Make Vases
Glass Blowing in Red Hook, Brooklyn
Yarn Resources
Choosing the Perfect Yarn
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...