A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,857
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Meals and Memories.....  (Read 1809 times)
Tags for this thread: glass , stained_glass , kitchen , glass_challenge_3_easy_being_green  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 29, 2010 08:05:12 AM »

So here is my entry for the 2010 Glass Challenge!

Part of the focus of the challenge was to be green by using some recycled object in the peice.  I choose to use canning jar lids and a glass refrigerator box lid. 

When this challenge came along, I knew right away I was going to use those items in some sort of piece.  I started laying out the glass...moving the lids this way and that.  Scooting the cover here and there.  Pretty soon I realized that the best way this thing was going to lay out was with a big open area. No worries.  I was pretty sure I could come up with something to put there.

So as I'm putting together my item, I was thinking about all the meals that came from the goodness put in those canning jars.  Canned tomatoes, jams and jellies, veggies off all kinds or how about canned meat?  In the days those type of jars were used...lots of things were canned.  That was just how life was. Grandma, Mom and daughter in the kitchen working as one to feed the family. 

Nothing makes me happier than to cook up a big meal for my family. Face it, most family memories are created around food.  In the kitchen, at the dinner table, or during family holidays...anytime a group of people get together...Food is involved.

I tried to decide what to put in the open area.  I knew I wanted to etch something in there but what?  I brought piece to work and asked my coworkers for ideas.  One of them came up with/found the saying "Meal and Memories Made Here"  PERFECT! 

I love absolutely everything about this piece.  It just evokes a warm fuzzy feeling in me.  I can't wait to hang it permanently in my kitchen. 

Glass is very difficult to photograph well.  I hope you can see the item well enough to get the same warm fuzzy feeling I got from it!

Sunset through the glass through the window...

Etching:  Meals and Memories Made Here

This is a better picture of the actual color of the glass..more of a Navy Blue than a Cobalt Blue.

Refrigerator Box Lid

Close up the Canning Jar Lids

The piece is made with lead came, copper foil and zinc edging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010 08:33:14 AM »

BEAUTIFUL!  It is so professionally done!  I love the refridgerator box lid---the detail in that is amazing! But--what exactly is it?  Is it from a vintage refridgerator?  I've never heard of such a thing!  (Canning jars I've heard of though!)  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DoodleLou

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010 08:48:19 AM »

Thanks for the compliment, I'm so pleased you liked it!

In the days before Tupperware and other plastic containers to keep your leftovers in they used glass containers.  This was a lid from a glass container. I got it from a flea market.  I thought the embossing/detail of it was fabulous too!

I call it a refriderator box because that's what I was always told they were called...LOL! I suppose they could have another name but I don't know what it is.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010 09:32:01 AM »

this is gorgeous- My family used to sell vintage and antique glassware, I have always known them as refrigerator box as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010 06:18:29 PM »

This is so incredible and well put together. All the elements make a great memory piece that is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
My Etsy
Help Fight Breast Cancer
CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010 07:02:47 PM »

Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010 09:23:13 AM »

Thanks for the compliment, I'm so pleased you liked it!

In the days before Tupperware and other plastic containers to keep your leftovers in they used glass containers.  This was a lid from a glass container. I got it from a flea market.  I thought the embossing/detail of it was fabulous too!

I call it a refriderator box because that's what I was always told they were called...LOL! I suppose they could have another name but I don't know what it is.  Wink

Ahhhh---that makes sense!  Funny thing is--we only store our leftovers in glass containers too (fears of plastic!), but they don't have cool lids like that!

It makes it even more beautiful now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DoodleLou

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010 04:11:00 PM »

Thanks everyone for the wonderful compliments! 

Sewin2Disney:
Now you've got a good reason to scour flea markets and thrift stores!  Not only will you be green by recycling what's already out there, you can get some really nice glass dishes for a reasonable cost!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GenieV
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011 01:12:10 PM »

I love this!  I'm not a big fan of stained glass normally, but I love the use of the glass lids and etching.  I think it looks beautiful and I'd hang it in my kitchen happily.  In fact, I'm adding it to my wist list  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elegant Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Grilled T-Bone Beef Steak Recipe
Celebration Veggie Relish Tray Recipe
Lemon Thyme Boneless Pork Chops Recipe
Pecan Crusted Oven Broiled Chicken Breasts Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...