A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tapering Leather Pants: tips? :3  (Read 868 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bizooey
« on: October 27, 2010 06:12:04 AM »

Hey guyyyys!  Cheesy
I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience working with leather at all and if they had any tips for me before I start sewing away.
I'm tapering a pair of leather pants for my friend's halloween costume, he's going to be a metalhead guy and wants to make his pants a bit skinnier.  Tongue They fit around the waist, they're just a bit wide legged. The pants are in fact real leather, and they have a layer of nylon lining inside.
I think I can figure out a way to do these, but I'd like to get an opinion or two beforehand!
<3 thanks. me love you long time. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010 01:54:14 PM »

Some general tips: use a heavy duty needle so it can punch through the leather well (a leather needle if its thick, but a non-leather needle will be fine too if it's on the thin side). It might stick to your machine, so in that case, you can use a teflon or roller foot, or just layer some tissue paper over it. Once you make a seam, it's not going away, so leave yourself extra room. You can always make them even tighter, making them looser will be a problem. Pins will leave holes, so you can use tape to hold things together. Also, make sure he can still get them over his feet! Feet are bigger than they look when you have to get them into pant legs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010 05:00:14 PM »

Yep, everything N30N said! The few times I've sewn leather or vinyl, I've put a strip of newspaper both under and on the leather sandwich to keep it from sticking. You may also want to consider putting a zipper at the ankles for easy on-off-ness. Since these are just a costume for a buddy, don't worry about the lining. Just sew it at the same time as the leather. If you were gonna be selling them, then you would definitely want the neat finish of re-doing the lining and shell separately, but seeing as how he'll likely wear them only a few times, I say "meh." I wouldn't just tear the lining out, though. He would have some very sticky pants if the leather was directly on his skin, but hey, he might like that idea Wink

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bizooey
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010 07:17:46 AM »

Oooh thanks you guys! I got some heavy duty thread and leather needles so I plan on working away on that today. I'll see what I can do with the newspaper Smiley
I'll be sure to follow up with the results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bizooey
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010 12:41:25 PM »

HEY GUYS it worked so perfectly! Cheesy
He wore the pants for a show as a part of his 80s metalhead costume and it was just beautiful. LOOK!

thanks you guys. :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010 01:42:56 PM »

Looks great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Startup Profile: Cannon.Fm App Demo
May 31st: Rod Save The Queen
Answering Your Greatest Dinosaur Questions -- At The Natural History Museum
Sweetness and Art: Short Film
May 7th: Sympathy For Xenu
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...