A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A question to the swappers from Australia and New Zealand  (Read 3828 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010 03:42:27 PM »

Good point... and sea mail from Canada can be really slow to other places as well as I currently see in another swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010 04:43:56 PM »

as a canadian i concur with all the postal frustration.  however. i just sent 2 small packets to aus and they both arrived in  2 weeks-ish. it may be a size thing. big parcels long time, small parcels short time.  Smiley

i had a package take a day to get to the us i had another package take almost 5 weeks to get to the us. it's random.  but wont stop me swapping... its also one of the main reasons i always send early.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
schnerby
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011 02:49:22 AM »

I've had an issue with this in another swap and was going to post on this board - then I found this thread.

If you can't send airmail, maybe consider not sending internationally. Surface/seamail take MONTHS because they travel by truck/boat and spend much longer in warehouses/shipping containers. My post generally takes 12-14 days to get to its international destination as long as I send airmail.

I won't be sending to the USA because of the extra post charge that applies from Australia or Japan, so I think it's ok to ask not to have a partner from specific countries for postal reasons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
sloth003

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011 06:57:49 AM »

i have had air mail packages take up to 8 weeks to get to austraila as well.  when i asked. the one postal worker was shocked.  the other...not at all.  while the delivery  guidelines may say one thing, in reality, it's a crap shoot. 
i could send airmail. but, why on earth would i pay an extra 30 bucks with NO guarantee. (and for a tracking number for a small package (under a kg)the price hops up0 to around a hundred bucks.) this may be just a canada post thing. but it seems like if i save that 30 bucks it's one more swap for me to be in. Wink  it gets there in the end. and if people dont want to swap with me cause i ship from canada... well. almost every swap has the option to not ship internationally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011 12:26:05 PM »

Like schnerby, I think it would be totally okay if you said, you'd only ship to other countries on the same continent, or something like: anywhere but the following countries. Every swap organizer would be so happy NOT to have packages out for months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011 03:24:57 PM »

Every swap organizer would be so happy NOT to have packages out for months.

So true! If you can only send surface mail I'd really encourage you not to swap to those places effected. I know it kinda sucks to have to say that, but putting a package out seamail causes a whole lot of headaches for the organisers who eventually get chased up by the mods for the swap taking so long. Also, if it does go missing the swap could blow out to months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011 04:33:10 PM »

That's exactly what happened to the Mini Make a Friend swap, where two packages were sent to the partners, and the first package from CAN took three months... we still haven't seen the second one which had to be angeled for... I would so understand it if it was for the earthquake in NZ, but this seems to be a problem in general.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011 07:16:45 PM »

Like schnerby, I think it would be totally okay if you said, you'd only ship to other countries on the same continent,

... sadly not an option for Australians Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
schnerby
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011 04:31:25 AM »

Like schnerby, I think it would be totally okay if you said, you'd only ship to other countries on the same continent,

... sadly not an option for Australians Wink

I'm sure Adelaide is a different continent  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011 09:27:22 PM »

i am fully capable of paying for air mail. but my last point was.  there is no guarantee even with air mail that it will not take months to get there.   so why pay the extra?

that said. i will still ship ridiculously early when i have international partners. and i will still be the last package received...  

i will miss out on meeting some new people from that neck of the woods but... i hate being a problem.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011 09:31:33 PM by sloth003 - Reason: edited to remove snarky witchy comments, » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set Dialogue in a Film Script
How to Recognize Reality TV Editing Tricks
Nuke The Fridge
How to Notice TV Editing Tricks
How to Join a Reality Competition Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...