A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,459
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A question to the swappers from Australia and New Zealand  (Read 3855 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 26, 2010 01:03:31 PM »

I currently have the same problem in two swaps I organize with packages that have been sent to Australia and New Zealand two months ago, and still haven't arrived at their destination. The swapper from NZ said it might be due to the earthquake, and the swapper from AUS heard from the post that three months aren't unusual.
I've had long waits to Australia before, but this is extreme. Does anyone else have this kind of problem right now? Because there is the question if it makes sense to resend the package, and how long it makes sense to wait for the first package to arrive (the swap mods agree on the three month waiting, as this has been a problem before).
Any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010 03:09:05 PM »

Do you know if the packages were sent via airmail or seamail? Sea mail can take 3 months or so.

I've only had one huge wait for something to arrive - and that was from Canada.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010 04:22:25 PM »

Oh oh, and the other thing, Ruby - check with the senders about what is IN the packages they sent - as well as what they packed it with etc etc.

It may be that the parcels have been held up in Customs or (more likely) Quarantine. Again - another parcel sent to me had a slight delay coz Quarantine had to extract the dried lavender that was in it, make sure there was none that had gotten loose, and then repackage the parcel and send it on to me blah blah blah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
Oyhana
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010 07:54:12 PM »

I sent a package from Canada to Australia and it took 3 months to get there.  I sent mine by seamail. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
jemimah
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010 06:45:07 PM »

In recent months, most airmail swap packages have been getting to me (in NZ) in under 2 weeks, BUT I'm waiting for one that has been nearly 3 months (coming from US) and there's no sign of it yet. I think it was sent airmail, but if it ended up going surface, it can easily be more than 12 weeks. Unfortunately, you probably do have to wait at least 3 months to be sure it's really gone missing Sad

The last time I had something stopped at the border (it contained lavender), they sent me a letter about it fairly promptly. In my experience Customs here is unlikely to hold things up for very long (maybe a few days or a week extra). Problem items to NZ - natural plant material, wood, feathers, anything containing honey, among other things. KW's right, it might be a good idea to ask what was in the packages.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovesnails

Slugs are just homeless snails.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010 05:26:39 AM »

I sent a package to Aus the one swap I was in and it took about 3 mnths to get there. I think I sent it surface. It was a while ago so I don't remember for sure what shipping method I used. I know that when it finally got there I was very relived. I also contacted Canada Post about it as it had been longer then was estmated. If they have tracking numbers try getting in touch with the PO and see what they have to say about where the packages are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NatACT

My little man - wrapped in mummy's craft :D

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010 11:08:09 PM »

My name is Natalie and I'm addicted to swapping Cheesy

I have been swapping for a long time, here and on other sites

Items sent from the US, UK, NZ and Europe via Airmail take about 10 days to get to us.

Items sent from Asia take about 20 days to get to us.

And Items from Canada take about 30 days via Airmail.

I think most international swaps have conditions that the parcel is sent via airmail. I do agree that any swaps sent overseas should not be sent via sea mail.

From personal experience I was in a Christmas Swap last year and my partner was from Canada, the send out date was the 1st of December so as to arrive before Christmas was noted in the swap. My parcel arrived in May, but in saying that my partner had sent my parcel via sea mail.

Im a swap Mod on another site and when matching people up I always avoid (as much as possible) matching up someone from NZ or AUS with someone from Canada. The slow postage going both ways just causes disappointment.

I hope this information helps you, if not now then in the future Smiley

All the best,
Natalie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up for a Personal Swap?

Send me an email Cheesy
deadbathducky
Never let the sun set on an argument with a loved one you can fix.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010 12:34:22 AM »

once seamail took 6 months to get a package to me here from usa....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember my mistakes,
remember you can change,
Remember that it's up to you...
to go and shape your life into
one that's worth of remembering...
-RTGO!

www.craftsbykitty.wordpress.com/
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010 07:53:18 PM »

Ack, good to know about the Canada problem, will try to avoid that in further swaps now. Yes, one of the trouble packages is from Canada... weird, why that would be more toxic than any other combination...

thanks for all the information, everyone, it does help to see it's not just happenning in my swaps Cheesy

hehe, ducky, great to see the Joker avatar back Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010 07:47:30 PM »

I'm from Canada and when I'm filling out the "are you willing to send to other countries" question I always reply 'anywhere but Australia'. The cost of sending a package there is incredibly expensive for us. When a package costs $16 to send via sea or $60 to send airmail it's really hard to choose the more costly option... especially when those airmail packages sometimes take just as long to arrive, and I've had two packages never arrive at all! It's sad, it's unfortunate, but for me I think that Canadian and Aussie partners should just be avoided.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Scarf Out of an Old T-Shirt
How to Make a Sturdy Tote from Plastic Shopping Bags
How to Make a Spring Daisy Chain
How to Make a Tutu
How to Make a Weight Loss Scrapbook
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...