A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can anyone give me advice on how to make this?  (Read 2647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkcatflower
« on: October 26, 2010 02:33:22 AM »

Well I was wanting to make a cute pin cushion and I found this one:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=261262.0

I want to use the pattern linked on that page, but it has painfully vague instructions for someone who knows nothing about this kind of thing (this is my first time at this type of thing).  I want to make the cute variation that the poster made, with the two colours of felt on the hedgehog's back.

I looked up some needlework tutorials.  I suppose I use these stitches? (Blanket stitch and whip stitch)
http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2007/09/tutorial-hand-sew-felt.aspx
http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2007/1/tutorial-hand-sew-felt.aspx

I don't really know what order to put stuff on, or which stitches to use where.  I feel I know nothing  Tongue

ANY advice whatsoever would be much appreciated.  Am I trying to do something too hard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
peihan17
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010 07:32:10 AM »

That's a really cute hedgehog!  I don't think it'll be too hard to make, though you might get more responses on the toys forum, since a lot of people make stuffed animals there.  But I'll try to explain what I'd do Smiley

First, cut out all the pieces, 2 body pieces, 1 bottom piece, and 2 ear pieces.  The regular squares of acrylic craft felt are okay, but can sometimes be a little thin for making stuffed toys.  If it does seem thin, you can always use two pieces.  The wool felt that comes in big rolls that you have to get someone to cut for you is much, much nicer, and not very expensive when you only need a little.  Pretty much any fabric store should have wool felt.

Put the two body pieces up against each other and sew the curved back part, using either whip or blanket stitch.  I like the blanket stitch better, but whip stitch is easier.  Try to make your stitches small so the stuffing doesn't come out later.  You can either use thread that matches the felt so it blends in, or purposely use a different color for decoration Smiley

Line up the bottom piece with the edges of the body, and sew most of the way around.  This will be a little tricky, since everything is now 3D instead of flat but you can do it Smiley  If you have pins around, it's even better to pin the pieces together so they don't shift around while you sew.  If you don't, it's still fine, just check every once in a while to make sure everything is still lined up properly.

Stuff the hedgehog through the little hole you left.  You can buy polyfill from a craft store, or you can use fabric/yarn scraps, whatever Smiley  You'll probably want to stuff him pretty firmly so he doesn't get flat and wrinkly later.

Sew up the little hole using the same stitches.

Sew on the ears where it's marked on the pattern- I'd probably experiment and use something similar to whip stitch.  Then either make little knots for eyes, or if you want bigger eyes, you can cut circles out of felt and sew those on.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pro personal swaps and always open to a penpal!  PM me =)

Wist :: Etsy :: Flickr
pinkcatflower
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010 02:54:12 AM »

Oh thanks so much for your generous help!  It's really appreciated.

I was wondering about how you said to stitch the ears on after I stuff it.... What is the way to do this so my knots don't show up on the outside?

I think I'll try using whip stitch for some and blanket stitch for other parts.  Do I use any particular stitch to attach the ears or do I just "freestyle" it? Haha.

Thanks again, you have helped me be a bit less scared of starting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
peihan17
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010 08:29:48 AM »

No problem Smiley  Once you get the basics, you can make all kinds of fancy stuffed toys!

I sort of glossed over the ears part because it's hard to explain, but I'll try! 

Imagine that you've got the head done.  Stick the tip of your needle in the head where you want one edge of the ear to be, and then bring it up again close by, so you end up with something like this: 

Now put the ear in place, and bring the needle through the ear.  Go back down into the head at B, and come up at A.  Go through the ear again.  Down at B, up A, until you get to the end:

To hide knots (do this for when you close up the hole for stuffing too), make your knot the normal way, then poke your needle back into the toy right next to the knot towards your seam, bring the needle back up about 1" away, and pull gently.  This will pull the knot into the toy and make it less obvious.  Sewingstars made a good tutorial here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=13016

Anyway, hope that helps!  Don't be scared- give it a try, and you can always give your hedge a scarf or hat to hide any mistakes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkcatflower
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010 12:04:04 AM »

Thanks so much for your help!  You really went above and beyond!  Cheesy

Now I just need to get a few supplies and make it!  I should be able to figure this out thanks to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peihan17
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010 01:52:03 PM »

You're very welcome Smiley  Please post pictures of it when you finish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkcatflower
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010 09:34:32 PM »

I will.  I hope she comes out well! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkcatflower
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010 01:09:06 PM »

I have begun!  Hooray!  And now I have 2 more questions! Haha.

Just wondering, will the bottom of the hedgehog bulge outwards when I stuff it?  I want it to be relatively flat so it can stand up.  Should I put some card or an extra layer of felt in or will it be fine?

And one more thing, just wondering why people put stuff like ears on after it's been stuffed, it confuses me a little.  Surely it's easier to just sew it on when it's just a flat piece of felt?  Hmm, is it because it bulges outwards once it's stuffed?  Does that affect the stitches?

Sorry for all the questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peihan17
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010 12:01:57 PM »

Excellent Smiley  If you're using felt, the bottom probably won't bulge very much since felt isn't very stretchy.  But you can always put a little piece of card in if it makes you feel better!  Just cut a piece that's like 1/2" smaller all around than the bottom so it won't get it the way of your sewing.

Usually people put ears/eyes/legs/tails on last because it's easier to see how everything will look when it's 3D.  Say, you center the eyes on the flat pieces, but it looks weird once you stuff it.  Then it's hard to take off the eyes, etc.  Also, for things like ears, the angle that they stick out is (sometimes) important, and you can't really tell that until its stuffed Smiley

Also, I definitely don't mind answering questions here, but in case I don't remember to check this thread, you can always personal message (PM) me.  Just click on my username to left of this post, which will take you to my profile.  Near the top, there's a link where it says "Send this member a personal message."  Click that, and you can send me a message, and I'll get an email notification Smiley  This feature comes in handy if you ever want to ask/tell someone something that doesn't need to be in the forum, or is private Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkcatflower
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010 04:46:57 PM »

Well I have experienced exactly what you were saying about things looking different once it's stuffed!  The second layer I cut out did not cooperate at all!  I suppose I should have sewn the brown to the white as my first step before I stuffed it...?

So....can I save my hedgehog?  I guess I need to cut out more felt...how do I get its little brown coat to fit?

The brown felt is all puckered  Tongue
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010 04:54:23 PM by pinkcatflower » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Retwist Dreads
How to Plait Hair
How to Flat Iron Black Hair
How to French Braid
How to Style Hair with Wax
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...