A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Christmas Stocking Tutorial and printable pattern (tute and link)  (Read 10363 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas_decoration , christmas_stocking , sewing_pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiedyediva

an amy butler kitty ball? am i dreaming?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 25, 2010 11:32:12 AM »

Free tute with lots of pics on my blog, how to sew these cute fabric stockings with foldover cuffs. The printable pattern's right there for you as well. Enjoy!

http://tiedyedivadesigns.blogspot.com/2010/10/free-pdf-sewing-pattern-how-to-sew.html

You'll need:

Less than 1/2 yard of each main stocking fabric and lining fabric
1/2 yard light/mid weight fusible interfacing (optional but recommended)
16" x 12" cuff fabric
12" of 5/8" grosgrain ribbon or other hanging strap
printable pattern

1. Preparing your pieces. Print out and assemble the pattern. Do not overlap the pages, it's fine if there is a gap in the lines where the pages join, just imagine they are there. Cut 2 stocking pieces from each of your main fabric, liner, and interfacing. Be sure one of each is reversed! The easiest way to do this is to fold the fabric before cutting; that way you'll cut 2 at once, and one will be reversed. Cut 1 piece for your cuff fabric that is 12" x 16". Follow the manufacturer's instructions for fusing your interfacing to your main stocking pieces. You do not need to interface the lining or cuff.

For purposes of this tutorial, my stocking is red and the lining is the green.

2. Sew your stocking and liner. Pin your main stocking pieces right sides together. Sew around the edges (except for the top) using a 1/2" seam allowance. Trim the seam allowance down to 1/4", and clip the inner curve at the bend in the stocking and outer curves around the toe and heel. This will help it lie nice and flat.

Repeat this entire step for the liner. Turn your liner right side out. Place your main stocking (still inside out) inside the liner, and align your raw upper edges. Put this aside.

3. Prepare the cuff and hanging strap. Place your cuff fabric right (printed) side up. Fold your ribbon or other strap in half, and pin in place along the 12" side, about 1" from the top edge, angled down as shown.

Then fold your fabric in half along an imaginary middle line so that the raw side edges are together. The wrong side of the fabric will be facing out, and your strap will be sandwiched inside this 8 x 12 piece.

Sew along this edge, backstitching and sewing over the ribbon strap again for reinforcement. Trim your seam allowance to 1/4, including the little bit of ribbon that is sticking through. Remove your inner pin first or your best sewing scissors will suffer! Now you have a tube of a sort. Fold the tube in half lengthwise, wrong sides together (right sides facing out).It's helpful at this point to lay it down as I have done, with the raw edges on top, folded edge on the bottom, and your sewn seam on the left. If you had X-ray vision (ooh ... wouldn't that be cool?), you'd see the ribbon inside where the dotted lines are shown.

4. Put it all together. Now put the cuff around the top of your set-aside stocking. You want all 4 raw top edges aligned (two from your folded cuff, one stocking, one liner). Align the side seams and the raw edges neatly, and pin.

Sew around the top of the stocking, using a 1/2" seam allowance. Finish this seam using a serger, zigzag stitch, or pinking shears.

Turn your stocking right side out yup, its correct that the seam is on the outside.

Then fold the cuff down into place, covering this seam. Voila, your handy hanging strap will pop up in just the right place. Give the whole thing a good pressing, and you're done.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011 06:54:11 AM by tiedyediva » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010 12:04:23 PM »

That's super awesome! Bookmarking and I must try this for Christmas this year. Ohh maybe mini ones for the tree too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiedyediva

an amy butler kitty ball? am i dreaming?

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010 08:27:08 AM »

Thanks! Minis would be super easy, you could print the pattern at a smaller scale or just eyeball it, making sure the width of the stocking top is the same width as the cuff piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarabunny

Addicted to Swapping

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010 01:49:26 PM »

Ooh! I'm so glad this got bumped up! I've been looking for a good simple stocking pattern and this looks awesome. I know what I'm doing this weekend Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anubisheart

Lost in Zombieland

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010 09:08:09 AM »

oh this will be perfect! Grin I know what I'm going to do when I get home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can walk you can dance; If you can talk you can sing
Art exists in many forms, the trick is to see all of them.

Check out my etsy!
www.etsy.com/shop/AnubisCreations
Check out my Blog!
http://anubiscreations.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crimp Your Hair
How to Curl Hair
How to Clean Hairbrushes
How to Use Bobby Pins
How to Use Hairpins
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...