A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,082
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First quilt. Lessons learned!  (Read 2493 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zootzie
« on: October 25, 2010 11:07:45 AM »

So my grandma gave me one of her old sewing machines and naturally I decided I'll make quilts for everyone. Little did I know how tricky they can be! I made a crinkly baby tag toy as practice (I'd never used a machine prior) before starting this quilt and let me say... I should have practiced more! Ha!  Cheesy

I had looked at some fabrics online, and wandered into my local quilting shop. I completely panicked once there because they didn't have any of the lines I was looking for. So I picked the only "jelly roll" they had and some brown and yellow fabrics to match it. Unfortunately the woman at the shop was totally unhelpful and only reinforced my panic. I ended up buying too little fabric under her instruction and she wouldn't sell me batting (I think she was maybe not a regular worker at the shop and didn't know how to cut it, but still!). I had a simple block with strips from the jelly roll idea in mind for a crib size quilt for my son, but these were not the colors I had planned and I was worried they looked too '70s. So I made up this pattern with little appliqud owls. Still looks kind of '70s but... too late.

The owls have faces painted on with fabric paint.

The quilting itself is a disaster. When people say to pin the layers together carefully... brother, they mean it! It's bunched all randomly and I probably shouldn't have quilted in that pattern. I started out by doing lines but figured that would take too long and this pattern was the result. I thought I should do a little more so I also quilted in a zig zag around the owls because I thought it would look cute if you saw owl stitching outlines on the back. I should have either done it by hand or way more carefully at least because they look really bad. And then for some reason I decided to do little embroidery circles in the brown blocks (not that I know how to embroider either, whoops).  Huh

The back. I had to do random pieces because I was too short on fabric to do what I originally wanted, and was too intimidated to go back to the store for more, and ended up using whatever. The orange piece was being saved for something for myself (sob) but I actually like how it looks.

In the end, sorry to my son for a crappy quilt, but it looks like he forgives me. I swear my next one will be better! My quilt in progress at the moment is one for our king sized bed. Good thing I started small! Grin

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010 11:28:43 AM by zootzie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melazdee
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010 11:24:07 AM »

There is way too much self-hate in this post! I think it looks great, especially for a first-time quilter. I am also a novice quilter and just made my first (maybe last?  Cheesy ) one a month ago and it is very tricky indeed! I also did a baby sized one and i have NO idea how people do large ones that are perfectly square or rectangular. I really like the little owls on it, nice save! PS sorry about your experience at the fabric store..that totally stinks. better luck next time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010 12:14:28 PM »

I think this looks awesome! For my first quilt I made a rag quilt because it was apparently easier. I'm too chicken to actually try a real quilt and you're already making a king sized one! I love your crib quilt and the owls are the cutest thing ever. I think you did a really great job and especialyl for your first quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010 12:23:02 PM »

It looks really good! Heh, you sould see my first try at a quilt! Actually you shouldn't, nobody should. And I really like your colors! I think it looks sophisticatedly subdued. Very classic. And the owls add such a fun touch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleLime

I'll try anything once.. or twice.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010 12:25:00 PM »

OK, let me just say that you are WAYYYYYY too hard on yourself for this. You did a great job! I have been quilting off and on for over 5 years now and I know SEASONED quilters that can't do any better. That quilt looks awesome, I LOOOOOVE the owls and I think your son more than forgives you for it.  Trust me when I say that it is the *least likely* projects that the kids adore the most. The things I have hated to give to my kids because I thought they were way too crappy were the very thing they loved the most. Chin up, you did fabulous!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy, unless it has to do with crafting.
YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010 12:51:49 PM »

Are you kidding me! This is awesome! And believe me, noone will notice the mistakes if you don't point them out.
Sorry you had such a bad experience at the quilt shop.
You have done a fantastic job, and I think it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
jeffsweetie

I would love to do a personal swap!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010 01:01:00 PM »

I agree with everything everyone else said! I think the quilt and your son are adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Noobina
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010 01:20:36 PM »

Oh my goodness. I was just looking at recent thread with pictures, saw this quilt, and thought WOW! That's so cute! And I come in here and it's only your first one?! And you ARE way too hard on yourself!! I think it looks great. I like the colors. And the owls are adorable. Shoot. I wish it were for me!

I'm way too scared too try quilting. Sucks about your store experience. I know what that's like. It can definitely ruin a store for you. But i'm glad you are keeping at it! Can't wait to see the next one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swaps = Yes, Please!
I finally have a wist! http://wists.com/Noobina
Calentine
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010 01:33:56 PM »

First off, I giggled a lot reading your post, in a good way!

Second, I think your quilt is absolutely adorable!  I like the colors, and the owls, and the stripes on the back...just everything!  I'm super impressed that it's only your first one.  I have been sitting on a stack of squares that i was going to try to make into a quilt for about a year....but i'm too scared Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplySandy
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010 02:21:40 PM »

I think you did great for your first quilt.  I think you should take your quilt to the quilt shop and stick it in that ladies face.  I'm glad you decided to make another one.  A kingsize is quite an undertaking.  Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Footer in Adobe Photoshop
How to Create a Sidebar in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Video Placeholder in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Format Thumbnail Text in Photoshop
How to Add Thumbnail Images in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...