A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Uses for homemade paper?  (Read 2497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KatCrochets

Mom. Army wife. Crafter.

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2010 07:36:00 PM »

I recently ran across the awesome tutorial for homemade paper here, and I tried it out.  My first batch yielded 3 pieces of awesome, beautiful paper.  But...I don't really know what to do with it.  All three 'sheets' are  really really hard (are they supposed to be?), so I'm thinking of using them as wall hangings...Which is cool, but I sense an obsession coming along, and I only have so much space for wall hangings.  What do you do with your papers?

BTW, I tried to do a seach, but I think every single thread with the word 'paper' came up, so I apologize if this is a commonly asked question.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Slowly building up my wist! http://www.wists.com/katcrochets

I need a sewing machine cover!  Anyone wanna swap for crocheted jewelry, or anything else crochet?
Spiffyhink
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010 05:01:46 PM »

I've had the same issue myself, but came up with a few uses. I've torn up handmade paper and used it in my scrapbooking as ephemera, and sometimes it can also make nice cards. You could also use it for bookmarks, tags, ATC backgrounds, or anything else that you'd normally use cardboard for. If you find a good use for it, be sure to post it here; I looooove looking at handmade paper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ENGRbyDAY
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010 01:28:14 PM »

Hi there! I've made recycled paper too. I really enjoyed it but it was so time consuming that I haven't had a chance to do it again...yet. To answer your questions: I cut mine with a ruler and rotary cutter into ATC and inchie-sized pieces and then used them in swaps. (mainly just the ongoing ATC one, awhile back). I really like the way it takes watercolor paints and also Sharpies. Good luck with your new obsession!

PS If you want to see the ATCs I made I could dig up the ATC gallery for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadhead06
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010 07:47:08 PM »

I haven't made any paper in ages, but once upon a time I made my hunny a journal on handmade paper.  It turned out really cute!  Paintings on handmade paper are always lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Doodling with delight and convincing everyone else they can too at http://www.DrawingChick.com
bragginrightsbath

Braggin' Rights Bath

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011 06:41:55 AM »

If you have a shop, they would look great torn and stamped with thank you and a personal note for your customers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tracy Cornell
Braggin' Rights Bath
http://BragginRightsBath.com
Dont ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011 11:02:33 AM »

Here is a list of things I do with my handmade paper (I like to make it on the thicker side as well-easier to work with).
1. They make great journal/ book covers. You can also sew them into fabric to make study fabric journal covers.
2. I have also made cards out of them.
3. I let my daughter color on them Smiley If she likes the pictures, we can frame them or turn them into a book. If not, re-recycle them!
4. You can also use them as valentines day cards for kids to decorate (or for you to decorate).

If you want to try making thinner pages, just use a little less pulp in your vat (depending on how you do it). I typically pour my pulp into my frame so I know how much is going in, but it you use the dip method, it is a little harder to judge.

I was just thinking that you could possible use them for building. I have seen the cardboard that people cut two slits into each side then fit pieces together to make towers and such. Not sure if that makes sense. Kind of like making card houses, but a bit different.

Oh well, good luck with the paper making!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lionne
brain and food color eating were-zombie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011 01:45:41 AM »

I used my handmade paper for postcards or greeting cards.
One thing I'd love to make is a book of spells or something with handmade paper pages, bound in faux leather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/lionne

I'm interested in personal swaps.
For a project I'm in need of Christmas countdown inchies! If you're interested and/or want more information feel free to pm me.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Home Remedies for Acne
A Month Without Makeup; One Girl’s Quest to Find True Beauty
Beauty Routine Tips from Day to Night
Hair Loss Prevention Advice
Soak Away Your Stress with This DIY Bath Soak
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...