A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is it expensive?  (Read 704 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shadows
« on: October 24, 2010 05:08:41 PM »

I'm thinking of having a go at knitting as a hobby that hopefully would have practical outcomes - that is, knitted accessories to wear.  Grin  Only thing is, right now money is really tight...  So, I'm wondering about the cost involved.  I'm guessing getting needles won't cost much so the expense comes down to the yarn.  I'd be happy to use synthetics so think that would help keep the cost down.  But, in the end, can it be cost-effective to make your own knits?  (If I'm going to start buying yarn all the time I might need to justify to DH how this works out cheaper than buying mass-produced knitted accessories  Embarrassed )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knkurz
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010 05:35:52 PM »

It can be cheaper for small items to make your own; when you get into sweaters and larger items it can also be cheaper, if you get your yarn in bulk somehow (Goodwill or buying mill ends or something).  Acrylics are definitely cheaper, but do not make as quality of fabric as the more expensive yarns do. 

The best thing about knitting your own is that you can adjust the size to yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010 09:01:25 AM »

I'm thinking of having a go at knitting as a hobby that hopefully would have practical outcomes - that is, knitted accessories to wear.  Grin  Only thing is, right now money is really tight...  So, I'm wondering about the cost involved.  I'm guessing getting needles won't cost much so the expense comes down to the yarn.  I'd be happy to use synthetics so think that would help keep the cost down.  But, in the end, can it be cost-effective to make your own knits?  (If I'm going to start buying yarn all the time I might need to justify to DH how this works out cheaper than buying mass-produced knitted accessories  Embarrassed )

While knitting is definitely a practical craft, I don't think it is a particular cost-effective one.  It would still be cheaper to purchase mass-produced items like fingerless gloves, mittens and hats, etc.  Even using synthetics.  Needles can also get expensive too.  Do you have a friend or family member or coworker who knits who might be willing to lend you needles and and give you some yarn? That would be the way I would do it (if possible).  Good luck! And even though it can get expensive, knitting is a great craft, I hope you love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010 09:23:15 AM »

well....it's not necessarily cheaper than buying the mass-produced stuff, but it doesn't have to be break-the-bank expensive either.

I'm not sure where you are, but if you have big-box craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby, watch for sales and coupons (ACMoore just had a 50% off one item coupon - that would lower the cost of needles from $5-6 to $3).

If you have any local yarn stores, watch them for sales too, especially with the holidays coming, you might be able to get good yarn for $4-6 a ball, maybe not enough for a sweater, but 1 ball (200yd-ish) is usually enough for a small project or two - hat, gloves, mittens, or a small shawl. 

If you (or DH) have basic woodworking skills, you can even make your own needles from dowels from the hardward store for pennies.

I haven't tried ebay for needles or yarn, but I've seen posts from people who get fantastic deals. Try re-sale stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010 07:52:26 AM »

I agree with what ThreadOrYarn mentioned, you can get great deals.

I also forgot to add to my post that you can't beat the time-commitment value of knitting.  The hours of enjoyment you get from learning the craft and creating beautiful and practical garments or accessories is really priceless  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010 08:12:22 AM »

On top of what the others said, I would say start small. Buy a skein of cheap-o acrylic and a set of needles recommended for the yarn. Personally, when I started, I used needles a size or 2 higher then the yarn recommended so I could see the stitches better. It took me a little while to get to where I was comfortable doing it, and I mangled a fair chunk of yarn in the beginning, especially when I first tried knitting in the round. So sacrificing cheap acrylic is better than ruining some beautiful wool!

Now when I take on newer projects that require new needles or yarn not already in my stash I save my pennies, scope out sales ads and clip coupons from every craft store in my area, some of the stores accept competitor coupons as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010 08:07:06 AM »

I had a huge thing typed up about how awesome knitting is but it might have scared you off.
Here's a summed up version:
1. It's addictive and you'll most likely gather a large yarn stash
2. Knitting needles can be somewhat pricey depending on what they're made of and how many sizes you'll be needing. I reccomend 4mm to start with. I use them the most ahve have about 3 pairs because so many of my wip
s need 4mm.
3. You'll love knitting. I've been crocheting for over a year but knitting for 6 months and I absolutely LOVE knitting.
4. I learn from reading the book stitch n' bitch and it explains everything about needles and yarn and what you'll need to knit. Might be good to check out or borrow from someone or a library to get a better idea about what knitting involved.
5. Most of these things are collected over time (lots of needles and a ton of yarn and notion) because you'll end up needing diffferent things for some projects.
Hope this helps and that you fall for knitting like the rest of us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Backup Your Photos on Location
Image Search Engine Walkthrough
Split Toning in Lightroom
Creating an Orange Sky in Lightroom
How to Create a Web Photo Gallery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...