A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Just a Girl Vampire  (Read 1441 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 24, 2010 03:03:43 PM »

When my daughter, who turns 8 next month, told me she wanted to be a "girl vampire" I was actually a little disappointed.  Last year she chose Princess Peach, and I never did learn from where the idea came.  How could she go from something as cool as Princess Peach to something as cliche as "girl vampire"?  Woe is me!  But, she isn't a little kid anymore, and that is what she wanted, so that is what we set out to make.  Wherever her idea of "girl vampire" originated, though, must have included pictures, because she was VERY specific about exactly what she wanted.  A black dress with poofy sleeves and red in the center, with a spiderweb on it, and a fake spider.  And a cape with a big collar, of course.

Last year we made Princess Peach out of costume satin, and I swore to the nine hells I would NEVER use that stuff again.  This year when we made our shopping trip to Joann's we headed first to the clearance section, where everything also happened to be 50% off the red-tag price.  And lo, there were roughly 6 yards of black ultrasuede for $3.50/yd.  Who can't find a use for ultrasuede?  Into the cart it went, and I knew I'd be using some of it for Kit's costume.  A bit of red lining material and some of the on-sale Halloween fabric that was sheer with black spiderwebs, some snaps, a spool of ribbon, another spool of black thread (I live in fear of running out of black thread, and actually buy a spool on every trip to the fabric store...) and the well-wishes of the gals at the cutting counter, and off we went for home.

I (*gasp*, I still can't believe I did this, and it WORKED) drafted the pattern for this dress myself.  I took some careful measurements of Kit, and then drew the bodice onto the suede side of the ultrasuede (the dress is made of the "wrong" side of the ultrasuede throughout), folded in half at the center point, then drew on 1/2" of seam allowance and cut it out.  The shape was roughly the same as a tank top I remember from an old issue of Crochet Today, that was made in one piece from back seam to back seam, with the straps sewn together at the top of the shoulder.  It is also fully lined.  I sewed the little red and black bits to the front and hid the raw edges with the ribbon trim, and then sewed the sleeves into the arm holes.  Kit requested that they "flutter" rather than be gathered at the elbow as I originally intended.  So be it.  The skirt is five wedge-shaped panels of ultrasuede, one with the lining/spiderweb sandwich, and then the whole thing is gathered to make it fit the bodice and have everything line up pretty.  Then instead of hemming, I did the ruffle around the bottom.

And holy crap, it worked.  It all worked, and it kept working, and then it worked some more.  I haven't made the cape yet. But that's easy.  Since the ultrasuede is 60" wide, I'm just going to make a circle half-cape with a big collar.  Simple.  I needed a break.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
amalgam
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010 03:57:20 PM »

You took a cliche and made it something special. Congrats on drafting your own pattern. I've tried to make simple patterns dozens of times and they never come out usable. Tongue Your daughter looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
connielk
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010 04:02:29 PM »

It is so beautiful.  I love making costumes.  And I love when everything comes together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010 04:26:29 PM »

Thank you!  It always feels good to be able to give Kit exactly what she wants, even if I think, 'Really, that?'  lol 

I do not think of myself as a seamstress with any kind of skills, so it always surprises me when things turn out well, and this... I am simply stunned.  lol  Thanks to the foresight of a friend, I still have one of the costumes my mother made me when I was little, and after last year's debacle with the costume satin, I was just certain I'd never be able to make something like that... something that would last through a dozen little girls using it; something that would be anything other than a throw-away piece.  Somehow, I took last year's defeat and turned it into this year's triumph.  This thing is built to last. 

I do wish a little bit that my triumph here on the costume boards could be in the cleverness of the construction or the perfection of the execution, or the absolute coolness of the idea, but instead, it is just actually making something well.  It is a well-made cliche, but it is well-made, and I am content.

Plus, as with every year, Kit's "Mom, this is AWEsome" makes it all worth it. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicytaco

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010 04:29:26 PM »

To me you're suppose to dress as something scary for Hallowe'en, so I really like it. Plus it's a super awesome dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
bernyispurestyle
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010 05:24:42 PM »

I just can`t believe you made the pattern I`m totally WOWed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My buttons hold my clothes together but my rag dolls keep me warm inside.
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010 05:54:20 PM »

Well, truth be told, it's very easy when your girl has a bust and waist measurement within an inch of each other.  The slack can be taken up with the back snaps, and you don't have to do any side seams at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select With the Lasso Tool in Flash CS3
How to Select With the Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Magic Wand Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Magnetic Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Polygonal Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...