A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nerdy Craft Ideas (2 topics merged)  (Read 7891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kitchenwench
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2004 09:27:02 PM »

i have a " i heart nerds" shirt. i bought it at target for 5 bucks.

just an f.y.i.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you can't be what you were
you better start being just what you are
RERose
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2004 11:37:30 PM »

not exactly crafty, but fun and for a true computer programing type nerd and a music fan...I got an AWK book signed by Andrew WK (AWK)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
recyclednew
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2004 10:37:41 AM »

Well, this may not be exactly nerdy, but it's a really cool idea! If you go to http://www.chivascircle.com and once you enter the site click on gift lables, you can personalize up to 5 that they will send you for free! I'm making a memory book for my guy and putting one on the front, and putting photos, poems, etc inside that are signifigant to us and our relationship. (He's into photography and poetry, and art!) Something a little more nerdy could be to print out one of those paper toy computers (on a heavy stock paper) and put the lable on the screen that's personalized with your names, wedding date, or whatever is signifigant to the 2 of you! And you could probly alter it fairly easy to be a pen holder or something like that! Just some thoughts...
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art is a drug in which i cannot live without!
karmaberet
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2005 08:27:14 PM »

Hi guys,
Help me out here. I have a friend who is a great guy but a HUGE nerd. He loves computers and the internet and technology, and is stylistically kind of a philistine. But, my goal this year is to make everyone's birthday presents. What could I make for him? I can't sew or knit, btw...
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momwith3kids
HOMESChOOL

Hey y'all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005 09:16:05 AM »

You could give him a picture frame that you decorated up with old computer parts, like chips, usb ends, whatever.  He would love that.  Or a gift certificate to a computer store so he can buy software, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine is like my left hand.... I can't write with it, but I NEED it none the less.

see ya'll on the flip side

My Etsy Shop
http://momwith3kids.etsy.com

My Homeschool Blog
http://homeschoolblogger.com/momwith3kids
redwood_gal
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2005 11:02:38 AM »

How about taking used computer parts and wire and crap and making little robots? They don't actually have to be self-propelled or light up or dance or anything. But if they're on wheels or their legs move he could stage tiny robot wars on his computer desk. Hours of nerdy fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elecbunni

Apparently, communists make the best cigars...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2005 12:26:05 PM »

I used to work in a store that had lamps that were made out of old computer parts, they were really neat. You could revamp a thrift store lamp or even a nightlight or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou
Gul Dukat
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2005 09:26:59 PM »

Cool

well i am a nerd too, so here are some suggestions:

some people have some awesome ideas, like the one here at craftster - a usb thumb drive/pez dispenser:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=20501.0

you can also make a speaker out of an altoids tin:
http://www.readymademag.com/feature_12_macgyver.php

you can also get some fabric paint and make nerdy t-shirts.  for example, for a computer dude make a t-shirt that says "hello world" with a computer or robot graphic.  or if he's into physics make him a schrodinger's equation shirt (i am planning to make a pink maxwell's equations t-shirt for myself).

you can make him a laptop bag or a bag for an external hard drive - and use IDE ribbon cables for straps.

once i couldn't find my belt, so i used ethernet cable as a belt, secured with cable bundling wrap.  maybe you could make him such a belt, but with a nicer clasp. 

about nerdy picture frames: i made this frame for my husband's diploma - he did a math phd. so i bought a $3 fake wood frame from a thrift store.  i took some black foamies and made a mat with a window for the diploma.  i looked through some of his old notebooks and books, and copied some figures and equations onto the black foamie, using a white paint marker.  the result was a non-boring frame that looks like chalk on a chalkboard.  (i guess math dudes prefer chalk boards?)

anything made with duct tape or old cd's is nerdy.

you could put together a computer repair kit, if he doesn't already have one.  take some non-magnetic screwdrivers, ratchet/socket set thingies, tweezers, grounding strap, and pill organizer with some cpu case screws, hard drive screws, and jumpers inside.  not sure where to get jumpers, probably a computer store.  i found these computer screws at the hardware store.  put these in a lunchbox that you decoupage with code or pages from the computer shopper magazine.

you can take some old circuit boards and make a hard case for his ipod or pda.  not sure exactly how to put this together, but you'd probably want to line the inside with foam or something protective.

ok, that's all i have right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleacircus
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2005 07:25:13 PM »

I love these ideas. It's fabulous!
My boyfriend is a nerd guy too and it's so difficult to give him gifts (I always buy books).
I''ll try to make him something neat from your suggestions.
Thanks, girls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gul Dukat
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2005 11:43:52 PM »

so i've been reading crafster.org and am excited about making marble magnets - i ordered the supplies today!  anyway i was thinking, for a nerdy person, to make some nerdy magnets.  for example i work in a lab at school, and i was thinking of taking some optics catalogs with pictures of equipment and lasers and stuff and using those images for the magnets.  also you can use graph paper, elements from a periodic table, text from math books, photos from computer magazines, or star trek pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Double Dare: The Right Way To Brighten Up Your Eyes
Beauty Test Lab: Becca Brush
Expert Reveals Summer Habits That Are Harmful To Your Skin
Beauty Test Lab: One Minute Polish
Beauty Test Lab: Bite Lip Pencil Review
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...