A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with tons of kiwi fruit?  (Read 16496 times)
Tags for this thread: kiwi  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

p.kok
« on: October 24, 2010 04:16:11 AM »

There is a HUGE kiwi tree(wine, what ever it would be called) in our family garden. Every year it grows tons(not literally) of kiwi fruits. Since it's huge we can't even pick all of the fruit, but it's still too much. My father usually uses a quarter of it for marmalade and we eat half of it during the winter, but still half of it goes bad.

this is just the amount of what we picked yesterday. there is like 10 times more of it in the garden:)

and here's a picture of a part of the kiwi, just so you can imagine how huge it is:)

Any suggestions what to do with? Cakes, deserts, chutneys(my father really hopes there is a good recipe for kiwi chutney), anything:D?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shadeweaver

My reality check just BOUNCED!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010 05:48:37 AM »

I love kiwi, but it is expensive here.  So when it is on sale I buy what I can and freeze it or make stuff with it ... here are just a couple of my favorite recipes. The first one is a Chutney recipe that is tried and true ....yummmmmmmo!

Kiwi Chutney
Ingredients:

1 lb of apples, pared, cored and chopped.
1 cup of cider vinegar.
1 cup of packed brown sugar.
1 cup of golden raisins.
2 tablespoons of lime juice.
teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
teaspoon of ground ginger.
teaspoon of cumin.
teaspoon of ground cloves.
teaspoon of allspice.
teaspoon of salt.
1 clove garlic, minced.

6 ripe kiwifruit, pared and diced.
Preparation Instructions:

In a large kettle, bring all ingredients except the kiwifruit to a boil.

Boil gently for 18-22 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the kiwis and boil gently for another 20 minutes or until chutney is thickened, stirring frequently.

Ladle the chutney into hot sterilized canning jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of top.

Seal and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Remove jars from bath and cool away from drafts.

Store sealed jars in a cool place until ready to use.

Kiwi Bread
Ingredients:

cup of liquid honey.
1/3 cup of vegetable oil.
1 medium egg.

1 cups of whole wheat flour.
1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
teaspoon of ground cloves.
1 teaspoon of baking powder.
teaspoon of salt.

1 cup of kiwi pulp.
1 cup of chopped walnuts.
1 cup of raisins.
Preparation Instructions:

Thoroughly beat the honey, vegetable oil and egg.

Sift the flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder and salt; then and add to the honey/oil/egg mixture.

Lightly stir in the kiwi pulp, chopped nuts and raisins.

Spoon into an 8-inch oiled loaf pan and bake at 350F (175C) for 45 minutes.

Allow to cool.

Kiwi Muffins
Ingredients:
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup kiwifruit, peeled and chopped

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 F. Line muffin tins with paper liners or grease tins.

In a medium bowl, whisk together white flour, whole wheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and sugar until combined. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together oil, eggs, and milk. Stir in kiwifruit by hand.

Add dry ingredients to kiwifruit mixture, stirring by hand until just combined.

Spoon into muffin tins, filling 3/4 full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until done.

Smoothie with Kiwi

Ingredients

3 kiwis, peeled and chopped
 2 frozen bananas, peeled and chopped
1 cup blueberries
1 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups crushed ice
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Directions

In a blender, combine the kiwis, frozen bananas, blueberries, yogurt, crushed ice, honey and almond extract. Blend until smooth.

Hope this helps ... I am jealous of you!

Shade Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap?  Heck Yeah!

http://www.wists.com/Shade
p.kok
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010 06:40:10 AM »

thank you very much:) my father will be really happy about the chutney recipe:) and i shall try everything ells when it ripes:)
Kiwi is pretty expensive in stores here too. People don't know that kiwi actually grows in "normal"(as in non tropical:)) climates. most of the people don't believe me that we grow kiwis in our garden when i tell them:) We mostly have it for the shade it gives in the summer, the fruits are just a side product:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparrowlegs
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010 07:37:13 AM »

lime and kiwi mousse

100ml/3fl oz double cream

4 kiwis, peeled

50ml/1fl oz sugar syrup

1 lime, juice and zest only

30g/1oz caster sugar

10ml/fl oz water

method,
1.Place the cream, 3 of the kiwis, the sugar syrup, lime juice and zest, caster sugar and water into a food processor and blend until smooth and thick.

2.Slice the remaining kiwi.

3.Serve the mousse in a tall glass garnished with kiwi slices.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
pink_pamplemousse
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010 09:27:32 AM »

You should sell some of them, I'm sure people would love to buy local, organic, kiwis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spidersweb
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010 10:30:27 AM »

So, you have the marmalade, the new chutney recipe... 

I would take the smoothie recipe, make a bunch, and freeze it in ice cube trays.  Store the cubes, and then when you need/want them, pop a bunch in the blender and go!

Also, we do this with fresh fruit and know it works well:  make a simple cake (like basic butter cake) in two layers.  Split the layers lengthwise so you have 4.  Between each layer, spread jam/preserves and layer with fresh fruit (berries, peaches, kiwis, etc.).  Frost round the outside.  Slice into serving size, double wrap in plasticwrap (clingfilm?) then put it into a freezer bag.  Then whenever you need a nice looking dessert, pop out a few slices to thaw.

This also works well with fruit terrines: line a loaf pan with plasticwrap, layer in fruit and sortbet or ice cream or pound cake, then freeze.  That will slice without needing to be portioned out first.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Spidersweb  (it's only a little filled out!)

In-Search-Of:
-> Stride "Sweet Cinnamon" If you have it in your area, will you PM me?  My mother loves it, and we can NEVER find it in our stores here.  Will negotiate for some!
blackie.sage
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010 11:23:50 AM »

Wow. I had to look up how kiwi's grew because of this post. I bet if I still lived in Seattle, I'd be able to grow them... but now I have those cursed cold Minnesota winters!

You could make a buuuunnnccchhh of Kiwi tarts (or little single-serving tartlets) and freeze them for serving later.

If I had that many kiwis, I would have a kiwi party! Make some kiwi cocktails, kiwi smoothies, kiwi sorbet, kiwi slices on crackers with cream cheese (or some of that kiwi chutney!). And some kind of kiwi cake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
p.kok
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010 11:41:04 AM »

thank you all so much for all the ideas:) the kiwi party sounds nice, maybe I'm going to throw one:) the problem with having a lot of kiwi is also that you shouldn't eat too much of it regularly. you can get an allergy really quick. My grandma also grows kiwis and she used to eat two or three a day but than she got an allergy and now she can't eat them at all.

I don't know how cold Minnesota winters are, but winters in Slovenia are pretty cold too. Sometime it gets bellow -15C (google says thats 5F) and stays like that for  2 or 3 weeks. And it's usually bellow or around 0C, so, yeah, pretty cold:) There are also winters with quite a lot of snow. And this year it's starting early. We have around 0C in the mornings now.  But,as you can see in the pictures, the kiwi still likes it here:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparrowlegs
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010 01:02:40 PM »

thank you all so much for all the ideas:) the kiwi party sounds nice, maybe I'm going to throw one:) the problem with having a lot of kiwi is also that you shouldn't eat too much of it regularly. you can get an allergy really quick. My grandma also grows kiwis and she used to eat two or three a day but than she got an allergy and now she can't eat them at all.

I don't know how cold Minnesota winters are, but winters in Slovenia are pretty cold too. Sometime it gets bellow -15C (google says thats 5F) and stays like that for  2 or 3 weeks. And it's usually bellow or around 0C, so, yeah, pretty cold:) There are also winters with quite a lot of snow. And this year it's starting early. We have around 0C in the mornings now.  But,as you can see in the pictures, the kiwi still likes it here:)
I too am allergic severly allergic to kiwi, I loved them and gave my son them as a baby as they are great for vit c, and I became allergic at that time, I have to use a epi...now I understand why I  became allergic lol

is there as church or somewhere that would gladly take some fruit from you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
p.kok
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010 01:42:54 PM »

no, unfortunately not:) and we also can't sell them, it's pretty much illegal. But now I have posted on facebook them we're giving kiwis away and quite some people are saying that they want some:) so with them, and all the wonderful recipes here, i hope that there's not going to be a lot of kiwi going bad this year:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Giraffe Sock Puppet
How to Create a Puppet Theater
How to Create a Monkey Puppet
How to Make a Rug Out of Scrap Fabric
How to Weave with a Loom
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...