A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
786 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any ideas for blank walls?  (Read 1348 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Decaf
« on: May 21, 2005 08:11:04 PM »

Hi. i just moved to a new apartment, and i have a TON of wall space to cover. i'm used to living with my parents and only having one bedroom to cover, so i have 3 paintings to put up, but i need some ideas to cover lots of wall space without painting or wallpapering, since i'm just renting. i'd appreciate any advice anyone has.

(p.s. i have no money, haha)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LucyOlive
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005 12:58:04 PM »

if your a music person maybe put some posters up  or some old records..anything

~Lucy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One day whilst I was walkin'
a-walkin' through the park
a hickory caught my eye
with the most attractive bark
nervous, i approached it
eyeing branch to root
anxious, can't believe it
THIS TREE IS FUCKING NUDE!!!!

so...
take off all your clothes and
find a tree to fuck and
wrap your legs
helz
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005 01:10:28 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24989.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i eat yellow snow
poeticoddity
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005 05:15:49 PM »

Fake windows (posters that look like windows with stuff outside of them) sometimes look nice.  Vintage posters from classrooms and whatnot are kinda "indy cool", if done right.  I've seen people who just randomly hung stuff (toys, appliances, garage sale garbage, etc) on their walls, and if the walls are really blank, and that's all that's up, it looks more post-modern than white trash.

Whatever you hang up, just go wild.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005 05:17:28 PM »

Try the Search function...this has been answered SO many times Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
Princess Sara
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005 05:28:24 PM »

I was in your shoes 6 or 7 years ago.  I have been looking in every store I go into for interesting black and white post cards (about .50-.75 each)  and hanging them up.  Go to the craft store and get some frames for them (.50-$1 each) and make an interesting display on a large wall.  There's no need to just hang them up straight accross, put them in clusters or groupings.  You'd be amazed how many people have complimented me on my "art".

If black and white isn't your thing, you can use color but try to stick with some theme... all Van Goghs or all shades of red (something like that) to keep them complimenting each other.

I now have a large cluster of about 20 and the whole wall cost maybe $30 and I didn't buy them all at once, so you can set aside maybe $5 a week to so "art" shopping.

Another thing that works is to go to thrift stores and buy old paintings $1-5 each.  Hang them as is or modify them like in this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=29459.0

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tea_Cup
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005 11:04:33 AM »

you could get a CD holder that you can hang on  the walls Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chrislea
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005 09:12:41 AM »

I move around a lot, so I'm in that situationoften.  If I don't really care about the room I'll just tack up a few posters, but if I'm going to be there a while I start by putting some nails or strong tacks in the wall by the door and hanging my favorite purses there.  They form their own decoration and I never have to go hunting for them when I'm late.  It's also fun to hang ribbons, knitting/sewing/etc projects on tacks in between posters and paintings, or to get lots of small prints and arrange them into a checkerboard or some other pattern that people will be able to see from a distance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Decaf
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005 09:13:19 PM »

Thanks a lot for all the advice everyone! I really like the idea about hanging purses, but being a straight man, I have a limited collection of purses... but its a killer idea regardless. Here's what i ended up doing. I framed the soundtrack to one of my favorite movies (ghost world) and a few photos I took, and one I bought, and I plan to continue adding to the wall of photos randomly. I was going to frame a bunch of post cards like was suggested, but I couldn't find any i wanted to hang. Its hard to find cool postcards in southern Minnesota, but oh well. Thanks again for all the advice.

Thanks again for all the help craftsters.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011 12:02:05 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jaci
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005 06:29:51 AM »

In case you have any other blank walls around...

- stenciling is always a great idea (stencilrevolution.c om for help)
- chalkboard paint!
- hanging empty picture frames (my friend got old, gaudy ones, painted them gold, and hung them on a turquoise wall - it looked awesome. Better yet...paint with the chalkboard paint in empty space in the frames.)

good luck and great job on that wall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roz Savage Reveals Her Favorite Song
Gustavo Arellano Talks About Orange County
Meet Author Glenn Beck
Meet Author Allison Dubois
Sanjaya Malakar Reveals Who He Admires Most
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...