A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,775
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renting, but PAINTING (OMG)  (Read 1594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

simply
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005 07:30:39 PM »

i've come to find that anything darker than pastel takes a lot more work to cover up. we had a burgandy wall, painted 1 good coat of grey primer, and 2 coats of this light cream over it, and that's all it took.  i really suggest the berh paint, it's nice and thick, and covers really good.  if you live near a home dept, they have a 1-2-3 decorative painting book for $15 that tells you how to do just about any faux technique. that would help with your different colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

insistal
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005 07:51:29 AM »

I have painted every room in my new place- and I have an tip. Buy quality paint. It's tempting to spend 12$ on a can of paint at Walmart, but when you do that it is thin and will take many coats to cover any color. Go to a paint store or a good hardware store and pay for the good brands of paint. It's frustrating to pay 30$ for decent paint- but it makes a HUGE difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005 08:30:06 AM »

Don't know if it's too late or not but I love this idea for covering a window. And you could do this without drilling any holes, etc.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=38915.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

btlgrl
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005 11:29:39 AM »

If you don't like to paint, I'd avoid the burgundy deep red altogether.  Red is a horrible color to paint and needs numerous coats for coverage.   That being said, the only room in my house that is white is the kitchen, but the trim is all dark Americana blue-ish.  I have a burgundy deep red hall and laundry room and the boys have a deep red trim and the back of their door.  I have painted over all colors and I'll tell you that anything in the red/blue family is terrible for painting over.  Even with priming.  Take that for what it's worth, but if you dislike painting walls as much as I do, I'd avoid the darker colors and go for colors elsewhere.  It's only 3 years right?! The last time I repainted the house (something I seem to do every so often) I intentionally went with colors a shade or two lighter than I had planned.

Also something else to think about....  If you get any paint whatsoever on the ceilings, those will need repainted as well.  So be careful when you paint.  I have found it's hard to repaint just a tiny portion of a ceiling, you can always tell!

Good luck!
CJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005 11:46:23 AM »

for curtains, i'd put up colored sheers. and instead of mounting them on the walls, youcould mount them on the ceiling

you could use pipe, elbows and flanges from the hardware store to make curtain rods. you take a rod of pipe, put two elbows on the side so they would angle up to the ceiling, and then fasten it onto the roof on the flanges. you'd have a bar that hung from the ceiling. you'd have to thread your curtains onto the rod before mounting everything up, but it would work. and depending on how "chunky" the stuff is that you bought, it could look somewhat industrial as well. you could even use cheap bed sheets as drapes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Navigate the Illustrator Interface Lesson 2
How to Navigate the Illustrator Interface Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Illustrator Lesson 3
Introduction to Adobe Illustrator Lesson 2
Introduction to Illustrator
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...