A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloweens Past - Musketeers, Mass Effect and Moons, ohmy! LOTS o' pics!  (Read 3899 times)
Tags for this thread: mass_effect , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2010 03:13:17 AM »

Like many others on Craftster, I'm a bit nuts about Halloween. I've *almost* finished my costumes for this year, but in the meantime, I'd thought I'd upload some costumes from earlier years!
And so...

Halloween 2009

My husband and I decided to dress as a couple; we decided to go as d'Artagnan and Milady de Winter, inspired by our casual RPG The Three Musketeers: The Game (based on, of course, The Three Musketeers by Dumas), which we were working on at the time. We went all out...let me say, finding the right shade of blue in the right material was not easy!

I present, d'Artagnan! The hubby's outfit consisted of a linen (under)shirt, slashed doublet, breeches, leather bucket boots, leather gauntlets, linen cuffs and collar with lace, wool musketeer tabard (or cassock/casaque or mandilion) with embroidered cross and pewter buttons and wool felt hat with 5 ostrich plumes. Smiley

The feathers were hand-dyed (smelly, but fun!), the hat was hand-blocked (sort of!), the cross was embroidered (I thought it was pretty good, not having embroidered anything before) and the buttons...there were 113 buttons on that dang tabard.  :'(Thankfully my wonderful husband came to my rescue and offered to help me with the costumes *right* before Halloween. So I had him sewing buttons for two days. And then there were all the buttons on the doublet. Oy.

He also (for months!) grew out a mustache and goatee - alas, everyone assumed it was fake. But it was real. And twirllable.

My Milady costume consisted of a shift (undershirt), bumroll (to give me that early 17th century silhouette), three petticotes (aka skirts), reed-boned bodice with stomacher, organza cuffs, collar and sash, fleur-de-lis necklace and earrings, poison ring, wig, black gloves, black fan, black mask and black shoes with gold rosette bows. The cuffs, collar, sash, third petticote, bodice and mask had a gold lace trim.

It wasn't all period-accurate (but hey, the 'real' musketeers didn't wear tabards, so whatcanyoudo) but it was fun, people got a kick out of it, everyone was impressed we made them, and I felt proud; it was the first clothing/costume I had truly made completely by myself (save for some of the buttons!). Grin

Halloween 2008
Mr. Husband and I were to attend a game concert around Halloween, that also featured a costume contest, so we decided to make game-themed costumes that year. We actually ended up reusing an older costume for my husband, as mine took up so much time and energy (don't feel too bad for him; when we started dating I ended up making all his costumes and put mine on the back burner). Wink

My partner in crime went as Link from the Zelda series (mainly based on the "Twilight-Princess" Link). It was a costume made a couple years prior, but we added the chainmaille hauberk (made by me, for him, for our medieval wedding), and... removed my poorly-made boot-covers. Oh how I hate boot covers. Angry

Everybody loves Link!...well, all the gamers love Link. Eh, most of the gamers liked Link.

I decided to go as Liara from Mass Effect

I made the blue headpiece, shirt/dress, shorts and fingerless-gloves, and bought long latex stockings and gloves, and black shoes (which I added green to). It was my very first attempt at working with latex (and ultra-cal, and doing a whole bunch of prosthetic/mask work for that matter) and for a first time, I think it came out pretty well! I also took my first jab at sewing jersey (ack!) and working with some not-so-friendly materials (that black shiny stuff...grr). I had my mom-in-law helping me with the top, thankfully! We had to piece together a pattern to get the colour blocking and side shapes.

...I also had a bit of a problem with the latex stockings; they were too big for my skinny legs (but I can't order the next-size down, otherwise they'd be too short) so I kind of had to wobble around whenever we went out, to keep them up. But people loved it (despite not knowing who I was - ME was not as known then as it is now) and I ended up winning the costume contest.  Smiley

Halloween 2007

Just married, my hubby and I were on a backpacking honeymoon in Europe when Halloween came around; we were due to arrive in La Rochelle in France for Halloween, so we frantically put together some costumes the night before. You can't get more last-minute and patchy than this. We were in Carcassonne and there just so happened to be a costume store in the town (despite Halloween not being a big thing in France). There wasn't much to choose from, we didn't want to spend a lot of money, and we couldn't be burdened by our costumes, so we bought some crepe-paper, a Zorro hat, feather, plastic sword, mask, tape and glue. When we arrived in La Rochelle, I think most people thought we were crazy...but we did get a few people coming up to us saying they liked that we were dressed up for Halloween costumes.

The husband was a musketeer (1.0). The tabard is all made out of paper, he's wearing my coat, and he drew a little squiggly mustache on his finger. We were reading The Three Musketeers at the time, and we were in La Rochelle...so it was appropriate!

I was a little more abstract; I went as "The Night." Mine was quick and easy - it took a ridiculous amount of time to reshape the hat, cut and glue the tabard and collar pieces for the musketeer! It was an interesting Halloween. Grin

I hope I'll finish our costumes this week! To see more pics/close-ups of the costumes above (well, not the ones from La Rochelle) check out my cosplay page. I also did a tutorial on how I made the latex headpiece - it talks about doing a life-cast of your head, sculpting a master out of clay, making an ultra-cal mold, and a final latex cast. It's applicable if you're making a full-head mask (or just a face mask, or a headpiece, like I did). You can find that tutorial on my site (under Blue Girl comics). Any questions, just ask! Hope you enjoyed Cheesy

Happy early Halloween!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010 03:21:06 AM by Tatterhood » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
LadyUranus
Only Member of Team Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010 04:17:46 AM »

All of those costumes are epic. I am particularly impressed by the tabard... I just added 48 buttons to my 18th century coat, so I feel your pain! My thumbs have been peeling for weeks. (I should probably use a thimble, but it makes me clumsy.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ConfusableBlonde
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010 04:55:59 AM »

wow! fantastic! they all look really professional...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010 04:33:36 PM »

These are all so cool - even the tabard made of paper looks good! It's so cool that your husband's into it too - you look so great together in the 'Musketeers' costumes, and although I have no idea who she is, you look amazing as Liara!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011 08:05:07 PM »

That blue.. head.. thing is just fantastic! I want to make it, that is just SO cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
embercostumer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011 09:04:29 PM »

Amazing! I love all of them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.c om
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hottest Fashion For Mardi Gras Balls
Survey Shows Women Have No Shame In Buying Fake Designer Items
Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt Prove the Power of Neutrals
Carbon Copy: Get The Military Jacket With Leather Sleeve For Less
3 Ways to Wear Your Turtleneck Sweater
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...